How often do you weigh yourself?

Options
2»

Replies

• lcyfrnxo
    lcyfrnxo Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Noticing there are a lot of daily weighers, which I'm quite surprised at! Do you find weighing daily helps to keep you motivated? As I'm worried the fluctuation would drive me mental! Xx
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    It's good motivation, but it's also good prep for maintenance for me. I do strength training, and it's good to make friends with the muscle repair water weight gain that happens from it. Down the road, once I've lost all my weight, I want to keep my eye on the scale to make sure I'm staying on track. Knowing the normal pattern that my workouts will cause will be a big help to achieving that goal.
  • cheeftaylor
    cheeftaylor Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Yeah I weigh every day too. It means that I have to be good everyday otherwise I will be upset the following morning. Also, you can lie to yourself in this game, whereas if you are weighing every day you can keep a good check on what you are doing.
  • CarrieCans
    CarrieCans Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    lcyfrnxo wrote: »
    Noticing there are a lot of daily weighers, which I'm quite surprised at! Do you find weighing daily helps to keep you motivated? As I'm worried the fluctuation would drive me mental! Xx

At first i went into a serious panic thinking i need to restrict more. After a couple weeks i noticed that it goes up and down A LOT !!! but overall it keeps going down.
    If i was to weigh once a week and have it be on one of those freaky up days, i would go absolutely insane. For me, that would be really bad because even though i know better i would lower my calories.
    Now when it goes up a bit i just say "eh, up again" and then it goes back down.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    a few times a month or less now. Because I'm extremely lazy and weighing myself daily, or even just weekly, requires doing it before I eat breakfast. I'd rather eat.
  • MlleKelly
    MlleKelly Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Generally I weight myself everyday out of habit, but that started getting depressing. When I'm actively trying to lose weight, I will weigh-in on Monday morning then again on Thursday or Friday morning to see how I've done during the week. The Monday morning weigh-in is to see how I've done during the week-end...knowing that I have a weigh-in first thing on Monday helps me reach for one less drink, order one less appetizer, etc.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options

I think it's a really good way to learn to accept normal daily fluctuations and connect the dots between behaviors (eating a high sodium meal, not exercising for several days, etc.) and total weight. I know that if I eat a certain amount of high sodium foods today I'll see it on the scale tomorrow and it'll be gone two days from now. If I don't exercise, my weight will decrease a bit, etc.

• mymodernbabylon
    mymodernbabylon Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    I like seeing trends so I weight almost daily (I don't stress if I miss a day or two). It does allow one to see how various foods, drinks, exercise and other things effect your weight. It also helps me not freak out about one gain or get over-joyed by one loss...I just enjoy seeing a downward trend when it happens.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    The entire weighing thing drives me mental. Before I weighed, I would notice my clothes getting bigger and then realize I'd dropped a size and be happy about it. It was all NSVs back then...and it was great.

Then I got the scale and I was on and off that thing all the time, noting differences and fluctuations. I like it. I'm hooked now. I'm on that damn thing every day.

I know there are fluctuations, so if I only weighed one day a week, I'd wonder if that day happened to be a high day or low day. I have to get on it every day so that I can have a good idea where I stand. If I didn't do it daily, I'd have to go monthly, so I'd be sure to see numbers that had gone down.

I wish I'd never bought the thing and that's the truth, but now I have to get on it every morning.
  • Jagerin
    Jagerin Posts: 68 Member
    Options

I like seeing the fluctuations because it helps keep me on track. If I notice more than a few days on the upside of a fluctuation, I can figure out with my offline food diary and exercise diary where the discrepancy might be and fix it before that up fluctuation becomes something I have to deal with (like a full pound gain) and work back off.

But if it's something that you know will cause you anxiety, then don't do it. Worrying about those small ups can cause you to wonder if it's even worth it and possibly quit.
  • hamoncan
    hamoncan Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Official weigh-in is first thing, same time, same day each week. I sometimes "check" if I'm in my normal range at other times but it's only roughly comparable to simlar days at the same time of day as my weight swings up and down a lot depending on the day and time.
  • greaseswabber
    greaseswabber Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Every day, after I get up, if I remember. I also use the Libra app on my phone. For it to work I can't get excited about the daily fluctuations. It's just data. The longer term trends (>7 -10 days in my experience) are what matter. For daily motivation, the logging streak is most important for me.
  • kristishrider
    Options
    Daily for a reminder that I need to stay focused. I'm a very hands on and visual person. I have noticed in the past that if I am not consistent with the weigh-in I forget I have a goal in mind. I do only track my progress weekly though.
    This week I have not necessarily lost any weight, but I know I have been working hard so I'm not discouraged, I just know I have to continue to work hard.
  • SteveMFP123
    SteveMFP123 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Every Saturday. Daily just seems OTT and obsessive.