Struggling to stay within the limits...

Options
2»

Replies

• flabassmcgee
    flabassmcgee Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    Panicking gets you nowhere. Overages happen! You're human. We're human.

I would focus on the "weekly" total. Say you go over by 400 (much like this week). If you cut only 66 calories a day, you'll be on par for your weekly deficit.

But I would not recommend doing that on 1200 calories.

What is your body fat percentage? What do you do for activity each day? Conversely, what are your workouts like, how long and how often?

Thank you for your advice.
    I dont know what my bfp is because I don't have a measuring tape. I walk every weekday to college and back which takes me 70 minutes all together. I do aerobics for 30 minutes.

So plugging those stats in to a calculator, if I place you at Moderately Active (given school, walking and exercise), it places your TDEE at 2390 calories. If you subtract 20% from that, you get roughly 1900 calories to eat total each day and lose weight each week with a moderate deficit.

Okay...so how much do you think I'd lose a week if I were to eat 1800-1900 calories?

.5-1 pound a week.

That being said, weight loss is not always linear. The scale will go up and down, and it lies sometimes. Just log consistently and accurately. Do not eat exercise calories back, as the calories are already added into that total amount of calories to eat.

Invest in that measuring tape and a food scale if you haven't already!
  • flabassmcgee
    flabassmcgee Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    Adam2k10 wrote: »

I would focus on the "weekly" total. Say you go over by 400 (much like this week). If you cut only 66 calories a day, you'll be on par for your weekly deficit.

What is your body fat percentage? What do you do for activity each day? Conversely, what are your workouts like, how long and how often?

I dont know what my bfp is because I don't have a measuring tape. I walk every weekday to college and back which takes me 70 minutes all together. I do aerobics for 30 minutes.

So plugging those stats in to a calculator, if I place you at Moderately Active (given school, walking and exercise), it places your TDEE at 2390 calories. If you subtract 20% from that, you get roughly 1900 calories to eat total each day and lose weight each week with a moderate deficit.

Here is an accurate calculator based at scoobysworkshop.

This should help you calculate your TDEE(Total calories needed to maintain weight based on your entered stats) and you can work around that more easier.

Scooby's is good too. I just prefer fat2fit.
  • Train4Foodz
    Train4Foodz Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Adam2k10 wrote: »

Here is an accurate calculator based at scoobysworkshop.

This should help you calculate your TDEE(Total calories needed to maintain weight based on your entered stats) and you can work around that more easier.

Scooby's is good too. I just prefer fat2fit.

Never tried that one, I'll have to check it out!
  • mariaoutlook
    Options
    But I've grown up with people telling me I'm fat etc, so it's drilled into my head.

It is truly awful that you were insulted because it is a portrayal of how ignorant our modern society has become. There are many reasons as to why people put on excess weight, e.g, medication, thyroid problems. It is not down to greed, but with the media focus being on thin people, the public never gets to hear, or understand the plights of larger people who are, it seems, "on the wrong side of normal". However, we all need to be aware of the benefits of healthy eating and exercise and people who are addicted to food should be treated in the same way as people addicted to any other substance and they should be given support and helped to recover from their addiction. Please, be strong and keep posting you will find lot of support here. :)
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Just stick to it, make sure you don't overestimate exercise and underestimate your food, and you should be fine. Not sure if anyone has mentioned it, but women typically gain 3-5 pounds before their period too... so don't let that discourage you.

And about your sister... I don't know how old she is, but I have a sister too and that stuff just wasn't uncommon when I was growing up either. If it's any consolation, I grew up being fat and being told I was fat, and now I'm at a healthy weight, so you'll only fail if you think you can't succeed - and you can!
  • AmeliaHelen96
    AmeliaHelen96 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your replies and very helpful and supportive comments. I greatly appreciate it!
  • alfiedn
    alfiedn Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    Plus my sister was calling me fat, saying I had a double chin and a massive belly etc...so I guess part of it was emotional eating...
    So...any advice would be very welcome please. Thank you

Oh dear! I'm your height and about your weight. Let me tell you, you can't possibly have a double chin and a massive belly! My family has a neck that doesn't follow the bone line the way some people's do, so it does look a tiny bit like a double chin, but it's absolutely not from fat. I know I have a bit to lose, myself, but this isn't a drastically unhealthy weight for many. You do get to be lucky as a shorter person, though. 3-5 pounds is usually something I can see a difference with! :)

I think you've gotten some really helpful comments. Make sure you stay healthy and keep your weight loss manageable.
  • holib22
    holib22 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Id double check the cals your food listing, don't just trust what it says in the data base as for starters the bachelors thing you had is actually 155cals per portion when made not the 97 which had been allocated. Not everything is correct so always refer back to packaging. you might find double checking you can see where you could be going wrong.
  • AmeliaHelen96
    AmeliaHelen96 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for your comments alfiedn - I'll add you?
    -
    - You might be right holib22...I normally do check the packaging just in case, and sometimes I have to change calorie content, but someone threw away the packet before I could record it :( I'll do that more in future though. Thanks