Needing help and advice.

Options
Does anyone on here have Fibromyalgia? I've been on a weight loss journey for 2.5 years with good success. I've lost 90 lbs so far. I'm looking to tone and hopefully tighten the mess I've got going on now lol. I was exercising regularly until a year ago. I became sick and had all kinds of weird symptoms and pain. In the recent months I have been diagnosed with Fibromyalgia. So basically in the past year I've been exercise lazy, and the muscle and fitness I had built up before then has since long gone and it's depressing and sad to say the least.

I would like to get back into getting fit and toned and having confidence in my abilities but I'm not even sure where to start. My arms, shoulders, an hips hurt a lot especially with repetitive motion (or just when ever they feel like it seems like) then when I start to do exercise and I get a bit sore, I get gun shy and give up for fear I'll feel really terrible later. There is also a sensation of weakness and shaking... which makes things difficult.

Can anyone relate and give tips? My eating is fine, I'm able to control that for the most part and know what I need to do and such it's more just work out help please :)

Replies

• MandiK3
    MandiK3 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    anyone... ?
  • purebredpolly
    purebredpolly Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I would think that water exercise would be beneficial, without causing undo stress on your tender body. Check with your doctor, but I think you should be able to find a suitable water exercise class at your local YMCA. I'm going to suggest that you exercise restraint when getting back into shape while chronically ill. Rome wasn't built in a day. Best of luck.
  • arkowalyshyn
    arkowalyshyn Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I have fibro, diagnosed when I was 22, along with some other challenges. Lost 36 pounds since last summer, hopefully another 35ish. Lots of my friends on here have fibro too, so add me if you like. I find enough sleep and keeping cold/damp to a minimum helpful. I like me soft kettle bell I just got for Christmas to work on full body with less pain points flaring up. Good luck and don't give up. I figure if I'm sore and tired anyway, may as well get a work out in so I have something good to be sore and tired about!
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Yoga saved my life. Find a class or teacher.
  • MandiK3
    Options
    I can't help, but I'm hoping this bump will get the attention of someone who can. Sorry.

thank you thank you!!
  • MandiK3
    Options
    Anyone toning with Fibro? I'm more at the stage of that.. anyone tried weights or I still feel new to figuring out what makes things better or worse
  • debubbie
    debubbie Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    I have been diagnosed with it too. My doctor's solution was to put me on meds that deadened the pain so I could sleep better, but it also deadened everything else about me too! Needless to say, the meds had to go. I receive chiropractic adjustments to help, but the deep tissue massages that I get about every 6-8 weeks have been a real god-send. It hurts like h*** when she is digging into the various trigger points, and for a couple of days afterwards I will be sore in those areas, but I feel so much better and can actually function. I can tell when I need to go back because the pain becomes unbearable and everything hurts - burns and I struggle to get any quality sleep. Losing weight and exercising has helped some. The other thing that seems to effect whether I am going to have a bad flare-up is if I get really tired and don't sleep well for several nights. The pain gets worse and starts to wake me up at nights because it is severe, which continues a vicious cycle.

I highly recommend getting deep tissue massages if you can afford it and preferably if you can find someone willing to do 90 -120 minutes to really work those spots out for you. If you have friends in your area see if they recommend anyone that is familiar with fibro or is good at deep tissue massages. I had one massage therapist that couldn't dig in hard enough to get the trigger points to "release" and I would leave feeling frustrated.

This has also helped the feeling that my hands were going "numb" to the point that I didn't feel like I had a good grip on anything. It was a weird sensation and scary!

Anyone feel free to add me if you would like. :)
  • MandiK3
    Options
    I have such weird symptoms. Pain isn't like excruciating or anything but it sucks daily. My sleep is horrible. I honestly cannot fathom someone touching me for a deep tissue massage tho because that it when it's obviously most painful. Its like I'm going to drop! The Dr suspects i may have neurological issues too so Idk..
  • Chandler330
    Chandler330 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Give hatha yoga a try. I sleep way better when I do it consistently and it helps to get all of the kinks out in my body.