Why does losing weight become more difficult?

Options
Not the process itself, but the actual pounds you shed per week.

For example, when you're 210 lbs it's easier to get to 200 than if you're 140 trying to get to 130.

What's the scientific reasoning behind that?

Replies

• alfiedn
    alfiedn Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    It's a greater percentage of your body weight.
  • feralkitten1010
    feralkitten1010 Posts: 219 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    The amount of calories you would need to maintain your health and continue to lose weight becomes unsubstainable for a more rapid weight loss at lower numbers.
  • pavingnewpaths
    pavingnewpaths Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    The amount of calories you would need to maintain your health and continue to lose weight becomes unsubstainable for a more rapid weight loss at lower numbers.

That makes sense! Thank you.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    Much of the first 10 lbs. is water weight.

Also, you have a higher metabolic rate at 210 lbs.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Not the process itself, but the actual pounds you shed per week.

Because you're framing the question in a way that requires such an answer. Five pounds at 150 pounds is a lot different than five pounds at 300 pounds.

Reframe it in a proportional way...
  • claptrap_beepboop
    claptrap_beepboop Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    You have to create more of a caloric deficit. People who weigh more can eat 2,000+ calories and still drop weight very fast. Those who weigh less have to eat 1,500 or less and probably also work out to achieve any kind of caloric deficit without starving. It's the boat I am in now, and it is definitely frustrating in terms of scale weight.
  • WorkoutWithLaurie
    WorkoutWithLaurie Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    You also burn more calories doing similar exercise at a higher weight. When I weighed 180 pounds i would typically burn 600 cal per hour of exercise. Now at 150 pound i typically burn about 450 calories per hour. Therefore, i now need to eat less or move more to achieve similar weightloss rate.

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Less body fat- the more restrictive and anal retentive about calories you have to be.

So 1.) it's physically harder- the smaller you are- the harder it is- body doesnt' like being excessively lean.

and 2.) most people straight up do not have the will power as it gets to the grindy part of weight loss.