ankle size

Options
dfsb
dfsb Posts: 2 Member
I'm having a hard time with my ankle size. I've reached my goal weight after 2 kids. I don't want to lose any more weight, but when I see myself I see huge ankles. I know they are not as big as I see them. I know I'm projecting my view of my mother and grandmother's ankles. Rationally, I know I should just get over it, but I just spent 3 hours trying to figure out what a 'normal' and 'ideal' ankle to calf ratio is. Ridiculous. I think it would help me get over it if I could hear from others about what is 'normal'. Thank you for any thoughts.
my ankles are 8.5 inches around
my calves are 13.5 inches around

Replies

• AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    "A 2009 article in "The Wall Street Journal” notes an average circumference for women’s ankles is 11 inches,"

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/554863-the-ideal-calf-to-ankle-body-proportions/#ixzz2UnTYYLq3

So it sounds like your ankles are skinny! Congratulations!
  • SakuraRose13
    SakuraRose13 Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Mine have always been wider even when I was thin, my moms are so tiny its ridiculous it doesn't matter if she weighs less or more they stay the same Im only envious of the fact that she looks good in espadrilles that wrap up the legs ,those look horrible on me ,I always have to find shoes with no straps around the ankle or sling backs,pumps so on.

Mine are 8 inches around ,
    calves are 13.5

Im 125 at 4ft 10 after a 25 lb loss

not sure how much smaller my calves will be when I lose the last 16lbs.

My mother is the only one with tiny ankles Im aware of ,she has 2 sisters they all have ankles like mine.

Don't fret you seem normal enough to me, I have 2 kids myself oldest turns 3 in August ,youngest just shy of 15 months.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    Your ankles aren't large in themselves. It's always a proportion. My ankles look smallish because I have a big hunk of well developed gastronemius above them, not because they're especially small.

My ankles looked thinner when I was heavier and my calves were bigger. If you really want to go nuts with it, you could look into the exercises that bodybuilders do to build up their upper calves, and make sure that you don't do the ones that would build lower on the calf. I vaguely recall that doing calf raises from a flat floor, rather than dropping the heels lower than horizontal, is the way to build the upper calves, but fact check that. Note that it isn't easy for a woman to add bulk, but you might get some shaping that you like.
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    Don't fret! My ankles are tiny, like 7 inches. Along with that comes tiny calves, probably 11 or 12". It's HARD to build muscle in the calves, seriously. You're lucky. :)
  • saschka7
    saschka7 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    I'm with you...I think I see my mother's ankles in my head (she has a medical condition which at times causes major ankle swelling) and project that fear. It's weird....I could pack on 20 pounds around my mid-section and not blink (much) but if I happen to think that my ankles look fat/big/puffy...I get really bummed out. I've never measured mine, because it would probably depress me.

Everybody's got something they're uncomfortable with. Personally, I've never once in my life ever asked anyone "Does this make my *kitten* look big?" because if I can't see it, I don't care :laugh:
  • RobynLB83
    RobynLB83 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Mine have never had fat on them. That bone is just thick as hell... like a draft horse or something. I think I got them from my dad. Prevents injury I guess? I'm 5'7" and the bone itself is 8" at the narrow part above the bumps from the joint. My calf is 14."
  • SugarBaby71
    SugarBaby71 Posts: 3,630 Member
    Options
    I have never been self concious of my ankles or calves... I JUST measured them... (because you girls did too.) So my ankles are 8.5 but my calves are 16.5. UGH. Now I'm self concious about my calves and ... well it's just another body part to add to the list of imperfections!:bigsmile:
  • nrvo
    nrvo Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I have cankles. They are hereditary for me - both of my skinny younger sisters have them too (just not as bad). My ankle is 9.5; calf is 15. I rarely wear anything that shows my legs because I am so self conscious about them.

I have worn jeans to the beach in the summer. I once got stuck in a pair of wide-calf boots at DSW and had a mini-panic attack.
  • paintlisapurple
    paintlisapurple Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Now you knowwwwww I had to go measure too. :wink: I am allllllllllllways thinking that I'm huuuuge, but after seeing many of you ladies and being able to read all of your awesome posts...maybe I'm not as big as I "see" myself to be? Hmm...
    Well, my ankles are alllllmost 9" and the widest part of my calf muscle is alllllllllmost 16".
    I'll be curious to see more measurements!
  • lcfairbairn74
    lcfairbairn74 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I have never heard of anyone measuring their ankles till this thread!! :laugh:

My right ankle is 12 inches (not too bad then considering I have over 100 pounds to lose yet!). The shattered, pinned one is about 17!! It's still a bit of a mess! :grumble:

So, we'll say 12....let's go with 12!! :laugh:
  • wbandel
    wbandel Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    This is a pretty interesting place to measure. I've always felt my ankles looked large, but only in comparison to my feet. I have really small feet for my height, and then my ankles seem so big. Though now the more I look at feet in Google Images, the more I think that's just a normal ratio. Here are measurements for entertainment of people who are looking for comparisons.

Ankle: 8.5/9.5 (vein damage in one leg from DVT)
    Calf: 15.5/17.5 (vein damage in one leg from DVT)
    Difference: about 7", no clue what that means

I never understood why people worry about cankles until I had one after my DVT. For the next couple of months my ankle was seriously a large unidentifiable mass. I couldn't tell where my foot, ankle, or leg began and ended. Now my leg is still a bit larger than the other, but it seems to be proportional.

Really I don't think it's a big deal, be proud of what you have. If you're worried about it, bulk up your calves or look for clothes that help mask it.
  • emacb123
    emacb123 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Ankle 8.25
    Calf 12.5

So smaller ratio than yours!

And I think mine look nice!
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    i do not care about my calf and ankle size
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    I thought this was a joke thread. I really did.
  • wswilliams67
    wswilliams67 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    honestly, there's nothing you can do about it anyway except make your calves larger or smaller and even then... it's genetics.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Good god. I have enough things to worry about without adding ankle size to the list.
  • Sublimely_Self_Righteous
    Options
    Good god. I have enough things to worry about without adding ankle size to the list.

WELL NOT ALL OF US ARE BLESSED WITH WONDERFUL ANKLES LIKE YOU, MS. GOODLOOKINANKLES :angry:
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    Don't fixate so much on specific body parts that you cannot change. My guess is that you're the only one even noticing.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    Little birdy ankles aren't all that great. I have to punch extra holes for the buckles in any shoes with ankle straps. :ohwell:
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options

WELL NOT ALL OF US ARE BLESSED WITH WONDERFUL ANKLES LIKE YOU, MS. GOODLOOKINANKLES :angry:

Wanna see them?