should I not exercise ?

I will be calling my doctor Monday,however, I thought I would ask here. My doctor put me on a strict calorie count of 800 calories a day. Should I be exercising or not? I was thinking a mile walk, nothing to heavy.

Replies

• lifeskittles
    lifeskittles Posts: 438 Member
    That depends...WHY are you on a strict calorie count of 800?
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    You should definitely check with your doctor on that. 800 cals is dangerous unless under a doctor's care, so no one here can tell you whether you can exercise while on such a restricted diet.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Is this a bariatric dr or an RD? Because PCPs dont take much in the way of nutrition classes and shouldnt be giving out nutrition advice. Especially something that extreme
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    I will be calling my doctor Monday,however, I thought I would ask here. My doctor put me on a strict calorie count of 800 calories a day. Should I be exercising or not? I was thinking a mile walk, nothing to heavy.

You should probably lie down. 800 calories is probably less than an IV drip.
  • MlleKelly
    MlleKelly Posts: 356 Member
    Originally, I read the title of this post and without even thinking, said, "DUH! Absolutely, you should be working out."

But if your doc has you on a restricted calorie diet like that, I would say definitely ask your doctor.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member

Did your doctor give you a meal plan to ensure that you're getting adequate nutrients? That's *very* few calories and it would be extremely difficult to get enough protein, fat, and micronutrients on that amount. If you haven't been given a meal plan I would ask for a referral to a dietician (not a nutritionist, there's a difference).
  • neveragain84
    neveragain84 Posts: 534 Member
    That depends...WHY are you on a strict calorie count of 800?

Definitely this. It'll be hard to give any advice without knowing more. However, 800 calories is not very much.
  • 603reader wrote: »
    Is this a bariatric dr or an RD? Because PCPs dont take much in the way of nutrition classes and shouldnt be giving out nutrition advice. Especially something that extreme

I agree.

OP, none of my business, but I'm curious about why you've been put on such a low calorie diet.
  • CarrieCans
    CarrieCans Posts: 381 Member
    I once had problems losing weight when i was eating 800 calories a day so i went to a dr. He told me to cut my calories in half. 400 a day, really? I went to another dr and found out i wasn't losing because i had Postpartum Hashimotos and got that all sorted out. That first dr lost his license a few years later because he was a quack.

Go back to the dr and ask him for more details and a good explanation of why you should be restricted that much. Then consider getting a second opinion.
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member

I would think sitting up would be too much effort. Why are your calories so low?
  • Bariatric surgery or a similar procedure is the only reason I could imagine. Did you hear back from your doctor? I've also though ~1200 is at the bottom of a VLCD.