buying on a budget

Options
Howdy everyone, really need to lose weight but it seems most healthy foods are double or triple the price, any tips on how to eat healthy for less??

Replies

• Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    kimmaurey wrote: »
    Howdy everyone, really need to lose weight but it seems most healthy foods are double or triple the price, any tips on how to eat healthy for less??

You can absolutely eat well on a budget, in fact I'd you are relying on packaged convenience foods right now, you might even find yourself saving money on groceries.

On the flip side, even if you just chose to eat less of what you are currently eating... well you would be saving money there too.
  • cblue315
    cblue315 Posts: 3,836 Member
    Options
    Can be done! You have to do your own cooking. I saved a lot of money once I stopped eating so much prepackaged food. I make soup in larger batches and freeze for lunches. I buy at the local restaurant supply store, you can get huge bags of vegetable for a very low price. I buy chicken the same way. I pack my lunch every day and eat out only one meal each week. Overall I am spending much less on food.
  • obscuremusicreference
    obscuremusicreference Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    I've saved money. I eat more whole foods now and if you use it all before it goes bad, it's cheaper than buying frozen/prepackaged. I also cook much more than I did so there's dining out way down.

But I'm going to spend it all on clothes so weight loss is probably going to cost me much more in the end :)
  • kimmaurey
    Options
    I do cook my own meals, my problem is its not just for me I have a husband and 2 teen boys, who don't need to diet lol so i need to find healthy stuff everyone will love and is affordable
  • foreverslim1111
    foreverslim1111 Posts: 2,617 Member
    Options
    Do you have a yard? If so consider putting in a vegetable garden. Every year we put in tomatoes, zucchini, onions, and carrots. Also since we live in southern California, we put in orange and lemon trees. Its too many vegs for the two of us so that during the summer, I end up sharing with my neighbors. The lemon tree has lemons all year and the orange tree gives us oranges in December. I eat one orange every day and they are great tasting.

If you don't have a yard, I know people that grow stuff in pots on their apartment balcony and do very well with that.

I buy other produce in bulk from Costco and split them with another family. That way we both get good produce at less cost.
  • Laurend224
    Options
    I do cook my own meals, my problem is its not just for me I have a husband and 2 teen boys, who don't need to diet lol so i need to find healthy stuff everyone will love and is affordable

I'm cooking for five. You don't necessarily need to change what you eat, just the amount.
  • kimmaurey
    Options
    currently winter here lol but i grow in the spring and summer.
    thanks for all your replies every opinion helps
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    Calorie-wise, not much bang for your buck in produce. A cucumber where I live is about $1.00 A red bell pepper is about $2. And that buys me maybe 50 calories. Not a good deal when compared to the calories that can be purchased on $1 menus at fast food places or how many calories you get in the snack food isle.

Saving money means buying the most calories for the least amount of money. Eating less calories on expensive calorie lite produce is not saving money. It's an investment in our health that we all hope pays off down the line, but good luck sustaining your daily calorie needs on bell peppers and cucumbers while either not spending a fortune or not starving to death.

Best to coupon and look for deals, and avoid places like Whole Foods that jack up the prices more than they are already on the supposed basis of "health." Also, eating smaller portions than you currently do of budget friendly foods that make up most Americans grocery carts and meals is probably a more feasible route.

I shop at Costco, I don't have the patience to coupon and I can't stomach the prices at grocery stores. It's definitely worth the membership fee and buying in bulk for me to get good quality and more affordable produce, meat and dairy and prepackaged items, rather than the mostly spoiled and almost always way overpriced food at the grocery chains around here.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options

Inexpensive food for meals can include these:
    -potatoes
    -pasta
    -rice
    -tortillas
    -whole chicken
    -beans
    -eggs
    -frozen or canned fruits and vegetables
    -peanut butter
    Make larger portions for them and smaller portions for yourself.
    Shop the bottom of the grocery store aisles. Sometimes the least expensive brands are there.
    Get the teens to participate in meal planning, shopping, and food preparation so they are happy with the food and so that they learn skills that will carry them into adult hood.

• Laurend224
    Options
    Do you have an Aldi? I can feed my family of five very well for $70 a week.
  • Virkati
    Virkati Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    Shop the advertisements for all the stores close to you. Ask your favorite store if they "price match". If the answer is yes, then USE that option, just have the ads with you when you shop.

Plan your meals out for a few days, a week, two weeks, or whatever fits into your pay schedule.

Make lists, check them twice, DO NOT IMPULSE BUY! When you plan out your meals, you can take advantage of the sales while they're going on. And if a staple (like chicken breasts) goes on sale, you can buy extra to have in the freezer for the time that your food budget might be a little less for that pay period. The less pre-packaged stuff, the lower your food bill.

I've gone to Goodwill and paid less than a dollar for each Weight Watchers cookbooks that I have in my kitchen. They are great for inspiration when I get bored or want to try something different than my regular fare.

It IS possible to eat healthy on a budget. My budget is $125 every two weeks (I'm single, so that's my total food budget). ANY food I purchase, whether it's from the store and I cook it myself or I go out to eat, comes out of that money. When the money is gone, I get creative and USE WHAT I HAVE. **If there is any money left over from the budget from that two weeks, I either roll it into the next two week budget, or I put it into my travel fund for the trip to Alaska that I'll be taking when I reach my goal**

You CAN do this! Set yourself as a priority, just like a bill that has to be paid. Make a budget, make a meal plan, make a list, shop from the list, cook from the meal plan. It might take a little time to get accustomed to doing it like this, but I promise it's absolutely worth the effort.

Good luck!!
  • kimmaurey
    Options
    yes, thats where I shop usually or walmart
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Frozen veggies are pretty cheap. I can get a bag of mixed veggies for buck and that's in the more expensive grocery stores.

Take a calculator and compare the prices. Sometimes name-brand is cheaper and the biggest package isn't always the cheapest way to go.
  • jpoveromo1
    Options
    I shop at Costco, Aldi and a local grocery store that has the best prices, never convenience stores. A slow cooker is good for stews, chili and soups, which are healthy and will feed a crowd inexpensively. I try to stretch chicken and beef by using them in casseroles, pasta dishes, chili, etc., not as a standalone. I stock up on frozen vegetables when they're on sale because, in my house, fresh vegetables often don't get eaten fast enough and get thrown out. I don't buy bagged salad because it's too expensive and goes bad fast. I buy heads of lettuce instead since they last longer. I buy fresh fruit at Costco (bulk size) a lot because fruit gets eaten fast here, same with milk and eggs. I don't usually bother with coupons because they're time consuming and manufacturers are often promoting new products that are too expensive even with the coupon.
  • sheldonklein
    sheldonklein Posts: 854 Member
    Options

By healthy, do you mean organic or the like? If so, the evidence is thin, at best, that those products offer any health advantage.
  • shaumom
    shaumom Posts: 1,003 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Sheldonklein - re: organic stuff. The studies I've seen are a bit bizarre on the subject, honestly. They were looking at whether they have more vitamins and nutrients - which they absolutely did not. But they didn't look much at organic foods in terms of fewer pesticides, anti-fungal and anti-bacterial coatings and sprays, ripening sprays, anti-sprouting gases, and so on, which are commonly used on conventional produce, as an example

So if avoiding those is a concern - which it is for many of us - then organic can have value. Although considering that organic produce farmers have to pay to prove it is organic, and conventional produce farmers get subsidies...it's really a lot more money than it should be.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options

Rice, lentils and frozen veggies are as cheap as dirt.
  • NicholeElizabeth92
    NicholeElizabeth92 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I use coupons to save money on items that can stay on the shelf/frozen (beans, pasta, dried fruit, rice, meat ect) then I use the money I would have spent on that for my fresh items. I will get one of the bulk bags of oranges and apples for about 5 dollars, salad stuff (add salads to calorie dense meal items to help fill you up), kiwis, and either avocados or mangos depending whats on sale. Look at adds to help you find the grocery store with the best sales that week and match them to coupons to save more money.
  • kungabungadin
    kungabungadin Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Where I live we have a fruit and veggie market that has good prices and most places to have those kinds of markets if you look or ask aroud. We just went shopping we bought 2lbs strawberrys good ones, 3lb bag of apples, about a pound of brocoli, some baby carrotsand about 2lbs of pairs for a little over $12.00 and that's not too bad.