Walking

Options
I work as a food and beverage attendant and I walk between four and eight hours each shift. I know this counts as exercise and I've worked out that I walk at about 18.5km per hour. If I do this three to five days per week, is that enough exercise? Do I need to do more? Cheers.

Replies

• neveragain84
    neveragain84 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    That depends. How do you feel after? Are you seeing changes in your body or fitness? It definitely doesn't hurt, though. Are you also eating a reasonably healthy diet? Go by how you feel. If you feel like you can handle some added exercise besides work, then give it a try.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    ...I've worked out that I walk at about 18.5km per hour.

That's not far off the world record for *running* 20k. You'll want to check your math on that...

• amyashworth98
    amyashworth98 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    ...I've worked out that I walk at about 18.5km per hour.

That's not far off the world record for *running* 20k. You'll want to check your math on that...

Sorry. You're right. It's 18.5 minutes per km. That sounds better. I do work up a sweat too since I'm wearing all black. I have noticed my waist has shrunk by several inches too.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    That's better. :) Over a four or eight hour shift, yeah, that's going to add up to a lot of movement.
  • Emi1974
    Emi1974 Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    I saw a woman on TV many years ago. Topic weight loss. She looked like she weighed over 120 Kg and she was a postie. All day on her feet walking and distributing letters as they do.

I realize now that it is what you put in your mouth more than anything that is important if your goal is to lose weight. :)