Struggling to get in recommended water intake. Anyone have any ideas of how to get that dreaded wat

Options

Replies

• markiend
    markiend Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    for me... 2 empty 1.5l bottles , filled with tap water then into fridge , take 1 out the next day and have it by your desk or wherever and strangely you find yourself drinking more as it's there. When it gets too warm or empty, replace with other from fridge and see how you get on

It worked for me. Adding flavour may work too
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    tigersword wrote: »
    I made myself a rule--go to the bathroom, drink a glass of water after. I do this even if I get up at night. It's water out--water in. It doesn't matter if you like tea or other non-sugary drinks better. Organization is the key to drinking enough fluids.
    That may be the most nonsensical rule I've ever heard.

Too bad, It sure works, and the OP asked for ideas. Why don't you come up with a better idea? Best. B)
    I did. It's the same recommendation that the medical industry gives. If you're thirsty, drink. If you aren't thirsty, you're fine. No rigid forcing yourself to drink at random times just because necessary.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I keep bottles of water with me all the time. It's just a habit now to have a sip every 5 minutes.

I also have coffee and tea.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    I made myself a rule--go to the bathroom, drink a glass of water after. I do this even if I get up at night. It's water out--water in. It doesn't matter if you like tea or other non-sugary drinks better. Organization is the key to drinking enough fluids.

Too bad, It sure works, and the OP asked for ideas. Why don't you come up with a better idea? Best. B)

If by "works" you mean "leads to excess drinking of unnecessary water", yeah, it works.
  • Pootler74
    Pootler74 Posts: 223 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    It doesn't have to be just plain water. Drink anything you like. You're probably best not making all your liquids be alcoholic or caffeinated or sugary. But those do count too. And as a poster above points out, as long as your pee is light in colour, you're drinking enough. Also, if you're eating a lot of fruit and veg, there's lots of water in those too!

I do it by drinking a variety of things: milk, pop, squash, water, coffee, tea, green tea, coconut water.
  • Raykels
    Raykels Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I use chilled sparkling water with a dash of cordial. Then I get my carbonated hit with out the nasties x (diet pop makes my mouth taste like its been coated in spray adhesive)
  • stephxo1
    stephxo1 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I carry a 2 litre water bottle everywhere I go. Easy to keep track of how much I've had. Slices of lemon makes it more refreshing or you could slice oranges, limes, etc if you prefer.
  • saraarassara
    Options
    I have a 32 oz reusable bottle for the office and another one for home. I fill them up and try to drink 2 every day.
  • amandachantel
    Options
    I had to find a water bottle I liked.. It sounds odd but it's true. I don't like screw lids so a pop open one that wasn't too big was ideal. Someone suggested straws and those are great too.. You will drink more water if you like what you drink out of
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options

I did. It's the same recommendation that the medical industry gives. If you're thirsty, drink. If you aren't thirsty, you're fine. No rigid forcing yourself to drink at random times just because necessary.

You may think your advice----let your body regulate, drink when you're thirsty is good, and I would have agreed with you even a year ago. Not everyone's body let's them know when they're dehydrated. I learned this reading a couple of swimming threads on MFP. Especially swimming dehydrates, since you sweat in the water and lose fluids without realizing it. I found it happening to me and began to drink alot of water after swimming. Solved my problem. However my husband didn't and 2 weeks before Christmas collapsed on our bed. I was in a panic---it was so sudden. He gasped "call my brother", and I did quick. My brother-in-law is a doctor (cardiologist) and lives across the street. He came immediately, and found my husband's blood pressure extremely low---he was dehydrated. We had been to the pool that morning. My husband did 45min of weights, 30mins of swiming laps, and 15 mins in the sauna. He was not thirsty and did not drink enough. So, yes, one needs to monitor fluid intake according to "our" doctor. Maybe fluid intake for a 35 yr old can go by thrist, but as you get older you have to be a little more careful--hence my "rule" which makes sure I have a constant level of hydration. I do what works, as do most people. ;)
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Teal4me wrote: »
    IDEAS?

Ya don't need it.

lmgtfy.com/?q=8+glasses+of+water+myth

If you're not thirsty, you're fine.

If you're thirsty, drink more.

That's all you need to know.

The rest is horse-hockey.

• skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    joeporta wrote: »
    I find if I drink 'look-warm' water it is easier drank. Three quarter fill ur glass with normal water and top it off with boiling water.

It looks warm or is luke warm?!

• HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    From Harvard's Nutritionsource:
    "How much water do I need to drink each day?

"It’s impossible to set a single requirement for how much water the hypothetical average American needs each day. The amount you need depends on how much you eat, what the weather is, and how active you are. So instead of setting an estimated average requirement for water, as it has done for other nutrients, the Institute of Medicine has set an adequate intake of 125 ounces (about 15 cups) for men and 91 ounces for women (about 11 cups). Note that this is not a daily target, but a general guide. In most people, about 80 percent of this comes from beverages; the rest comes from food. As for the oft-repeated nutrition advice to “drink eight glasses of water every day,” there’s little evidence to support it, but this would be one excellent way to fulfill most of a person’s fluid requirement."[my bold]

Recent medical advice is to pay more attention to urine color than how much you drink. If your urine is straw-colored or pale yellow, you're sufficiently hydrated. If it's darker than that, you are dehydrated.
  • HealthyStartsHere
    HealthyStartsHere Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    try drinking seltzer or mineral water. it helps me when i want to drink something other than tap water
  • jpaulie
    jpaulie Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    IDEAS?

Drink when you're thirsty, stop when you aren't. It's really that simple. There is no real "recommended" water amount. There are a lot of arbitrary amounts tossed around, but medically, your body does a perfectly good job of telling you it's thirsty.

Plus you get hydration from soda, tea, coffee, juice, milk, food, etc. no reason to arbitrarily try and force yourself to drink a specific amount of just water every day. Besides, the actual amount you may need will vary depending on activity level, weather, and other factors.

if you are thirsty then you are already getting dehydrated
  • CanadianCountryGirl1973
    Options
    Pretty clear bottle and I add a few pieces of frozen fruit and ice cubes. Once you're in the habit of holding it in your hand, it's an additional accessory during the day like your cell phone! You can also drink something like perrier or club soda. Sometimes I make a nice tea and let that cool. My issue is on my days when I'm in a classroom teaching..... not easy to run to the bathroom when you like! However, I find that after a couple of days, the bladder gets used to it.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    IDEAS?

Drink when you're thirsty, stop when you aren't. It's really that simple. There is no real "recommended" water amount. There are a lot of arbitrary amounts tossed around, but medically, your body does a perfectly good job of telling you it's thirsty.

Plus you get hydration from soda, tea, coffee, juice, milk, food, etc. no reason to arbitrarily try and force yourself to drink a specific amount of just water every day. Besides, the actual amount you may need will vary depending on activity level, weather, and other factors.

This is pretty much exactly what I was going to say.
  • CanadianCountryGirl1973
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »
    eek53uddbs1t.jpeg
    And RodaRose.... how does it feel to know that ALL of us will most likely be looking at the pee this evening to compare the color?!
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    At work I have a 4 cup water bottle and make sure I drink at least one full container each day. I have a couple cups of coffee/tea in the morning and at least 2 more cups of water with dinner at night so that gets me the basics. When I go to the gym, I drink an extra cup or two.

If flavor is an issue, try flavor drops, drink mixes or even just a slice of lemon.