Attempting to break the yo-yo cycle

Options
Hello! I joined MFP earlier this year but didn't really get into the social aspect of it. I've used and had success with several other diet trackers, including myplate at livestrong and fitday but I have a terrible tendency to stop tracking once I've lost the weight and then I end up ballooning back to my original weight of about 190 instead of figuring out how to maintain a healthy weight. I worry about it as I know that yo-yo-ing is particularly bad for your heart. :-/

I turn 30 in June and I'm hoping to form some lifelong habits over the next few months as well as work my way down to a normal bodyweight by the end of the year. If you are in a similar position or are just looking for friends, please feel free to add me! Thanks!

Replies

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    Hello! I joined MFP earlier this year but didn't really get into the social aspect of it. I've used and had success with several other diet trackers, including myplate at livestrong and fitday but I have a terrible tendency to stop tracking once I've lost the weight and then I end up ballooning back to my original weight of about 190 instead of figuring out how to maintain a healthy weight. I worry about it as I know that yo-yo-ing is particularly bad for your heart. :-/

I turn 30 in June and I'm hoping to form some lifelong habits over the next few months as well as work my way down to a normal bodyweight by the end of the year. If you are in a similar position or are just looking for friends, please feel free to add me! Thanks!

Welcome collettely4 to MFP forums.

At least you are younger by 34 years and my 40 years of yo yo dieting is a health concern of mine but it has driven me to stop dieting which just resulted in me gaining more and finally change my eating lifestyle once and for all. Last year I hit 250 for the second time but am down to 215 this time which is my lowest weight in 20 years. I had to finally 'cold turkey' the carbs to make new progress Oct 2014.
  • marpeters
    marpeters Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    So...this is the story of my life...but I'm just getting back myself. Have lost 80 pounds and then every fall I put on 15 that I spend the rest of the year trying to take off. But I'm not too sad about it...at least I don't pop up too high and I'm just working on 15 not 80 again. This yo yo thing is not great but it's pointing out that we are working on our weight. Maybe someday I won't bounce back...but maybe not. I can live with this!!! Add me as a friend if you want some support!!!
  • nojram
    nojram Posts: 1
    Options
    Your stories of jo-joing are so familiar. I so desperately want to loose weight. And I know how, but every two weeks, after watching what I eat and almost daily exercise I feel I deserve a treat cause I lost some weight. Two weeks on two weeks of leaves me frustrated without results. It is sooooo hard to never stop. But I have to and I CAN...... Please add me cause I can use some support and love to help you too.
  • lambchoplewis1
    lambchoplewis1 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I am right there with you. Lost 20 lbs and maintained for almost a year. Then I decided I could have a glass of wine. This led to drinking every day and back came the 20 lbs. I eat great and sabotage all my efforts with wine. That is what I am getting rid of. Just think of the $$ I will save!!