weight gain confused and scared

Options
pebbleslaura1
pebbleslaura1 Posts: 146 Member
hiya i suffer with anorexia and need to gain weight but i dont want to get fat or get a big stomach i want a toned flat stomach and toned healthy body. i fear i wont stop gaining and all weight will go to my stomach. also i heard carbs store as fat if not used??

Replies

• tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    See your doctor.

Carbs are generally not stored as fat. They are burned right away, then stored as glycogen in your muscles and liver in order to be used later by your muscles. Only if your body is completely saturated with glycogen (which basically never happens) will carbs become fat. Some fat is a good thing, as body fat is actually a major part of the endocrine system and has a large role in manufacturing and regulating hormones.

Again, see your doctor. I hope if you're recovering from anorexia that you have the appropriate medical and psychological supervision to help you get through this, as in general, us random internet people aren't generally qualified.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    You should be doing it in conjunction with your DR, maybe a support group and any of the eating disorder charities. They are best placed to help you.

Knowledge is power, so learn how:

1. You put weight on.
    2. Get a toned body through exercise.
    3. How to eat a healthy balanced diet.

When you understand the basics of weight loss and gain, nutrition and fitness, then you will start to fear less and have more confidence you have control over what happens to you.
    You must speak to your Dr and trust the fact that you may not have a good view of what healthy is.

http://www.anad.org/

http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/anorexia-nervosa/pages/introduction.aspx

http://www.b-eat.co.uk/

http://www.anorexiabulimiacare.org.uk/
  • Patttience
    Patttience Posts: 975 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    tigersword doesn't understand what you said and she doesn't realise what she's saying is pretty much the same thing as what your saying, which is to say she doesn't know what she's talking about. Or him for that matter.

yes you are right, if you eat more carbs than you burn, it will turn into fat. Apparently you can store carbs in your blood as glycogen for about 72 hours. This is an average of course and depends on your muscle mass. As an anorexic, you probably have very low muscle mass so its unlikely you have 72 hours to burn off what you consume without it becoming fat.

So let me go back to your question. You are scared. Do you know something, being scared of gaining weight is the problem that anorexics have. I have talked to many anorexics on the internet and known a few in person and worked in a clinic. This fear you have while there is a degree of truth in it, is generally over blown. Your fear is on the whole irrational because it is out of proportion and it has a negative affect on your relationship to food.

I presume you have had treatment. You should talk a lot more about this fear with your treating doctors or therapists and try to beat the fear.

If you don't want to get fat, then you should eat only healthy foods. I have heard about some anorexics being told to eat lots of junk food like icrcream because they are being asked to put on weight fast. I guess if the person is at a dangerously low weight, it is important to put on weight fast. But i would really suggest you avoid eating foods that have that addictive quality to it, which means foods that are high in salt and sugar. Because if you get a taste for it, you may later find you can't stop eating the wretched stuff. I myself had a problem with icecream and other sweet foods. I've now quit buying it altogether. I only eat it if someone else offers it to me.

There is another thing, if you are a very low weight anorexic, and your body fat is very very low, you do need to put on some fat, and not just weight. All the fat will not just go to your tummy. Where the fat settles will be all over but people have a hereditary distribution and you cannot control where it goes. Even exercise will not change where the fat goes.

The best thing in my view with regard to the new fat you will have to gain, is learn how to appreciate hte look of it. As it is you may be overly critical of a little bit of fat on your tummy. A little bit of fat on the tummy is not an ugly thing. You should look at your own body a lot less and start looking at other people a lot more. Try to notice that people who are not super skinny are also beautiful, pretty, happy, healthy.

The fear of fat that you have is so unhealthy that it distorts the way you think of things and see the world. Fat is not all bad. We need fat for health. The brain is fat. And the brain needs fat in the diet to function properly. Fat has a function. It has several functions. Maybe you can learn to appreciate fat for its qualities.

Fat is only bad and ugly when there's a lot of it. And there is no question that a lot of fat is indeed very ugly. That is why we are all trying to get rid of our excess. But you can go too far.

It is far better to start focussing on other parts of your life than obsessing about your own degree of fat. Besides when you regain this weight, it won't happen overnight. You have time. You can stop gaining when you reach a healthy weight.

If you keep feeding the fear of fat, you will never be free of your illness, so please strive for a healthy outlook and a healthy body and a healthy lifestyle.
  • pebbleslaura1
    Options
    Patttience wrote: »
    tigersword doesn't understand what you said and she doesn't realise what she's saying is pretty much the same thing as what your saying, which is to say she doesn't know what she's talking about. Or him for that matter.

yes you are right, if you eat more carbs than you burn, it will turn into fat. Apparently you can store carbs in your blood as glycogen for about 72 hours. This is an average of course and depends on your muscle mass. As an anorexic, you probably have very low muscle mass so its unlikely you have 72 hours to burn off what you consume without it becoming fat.

So let me go back to your question. You are scared. Do you know something, being scared of gaining weight is the problem that anorexics have. I have talked to many anorexics on the internet and known a few in person and worked in a clinic. This fear you have while there is a degree of truth in it, is generally over blown. Your fear is on the whole irrational because it is out of proportion and it has a negative affect on your relationship to food.

I presume you have had treatment. You should talk a lot more about this fear with your treating doctors or therapists and try to beat the fear.

If you don't want to get fat, then you should eat only healthy foods. I have heard about some anorexics being told to eat lots of junk food like icrcream because they are being asked to put on weight fast. I guess if the person is at a dangerously low weight, it is important to put on weight fast. But i would really suggest you avoid eating foods that have that addictive quality to it, which means foods that are high in salt and sugar. Because if you get a taste for it, you may later find you can't stop eating the wretched stuff. I myself had a problem with icecream and other sweet foods. I've now quit buying it altogether. I only eat it if someone else offers it to me.

There is another thing, if you are a very low weight anorexic, and your body fat is very very low, you do need to put on some fat, and not just weight. All the fat will not just go to your tummy. Where the fat settles will be all over but people have a hereditary distribution and you cannot control where it goes. Even exercise will not change where the fat goes.

The best thing in my view with regard to the new fat you will have to gain, is learn how to appreciate hte look of it. As it is you may be overly critical of a little bit of fat on your tummy. A little bit of fat on the tummy is not an ugly thing. You should look at your own body a lot less and start looking at other people a lot more. Try to notice that people who are not super skinny are also beautiful, pretty, happy, healthy.

The fear of fat that you have is so unhealthy that it distorts the way you think of things and see the world. Fat is not all bad. We need fat for health. The brain is fat. And the brain needs fat in the diet to function properly. Fat has a function. It has several functions. Maybe you can learn to appreciate fat for its qualities.

Fat is only bad and ugly when there's a lot of it. And there is no question that a lot of fat is indeed very ugly. That is why we are all trying to get rid of our excess. But you can go too far.

It is far better to start focussing on other parts of your life than obsessing about your own degree of fat. Besides when you regain this weight, it won't happen overnight. You have time. You can stop gaining when you reach a healthy weight.

If you keep feeding the fear of fat, you will never be free of your illness, so please strive for a healthy outlook and a healthy body and a healthy lifestyle.

thankyou so much for that :) i have been in two clinice and all they do is fill you full of JUNK chips pizza cakes ice cream just to get weight on then kick you out you come out feeling rubbish and fat and the whole thing starts again! this is why i want to start healthy then i can keep up a healthy life but these fears get in they way!
  • SD2bfit
    SD2bfit Posts: 11
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Pebbleslaura1,
    Kudos to you for getting motivated to kick anorexia in the behind! That takes a lot of courage to change. I'm sorry you didn't get better care from those clinics. But I'm glad you found MFP. This is a great place to get motivated, and they have some great tools to help you. I do hope you have found a medical professional, (doctor, nutritionist) that you like and trust to guide you on this process. It is not just a diet you are seeking, as I am sure you know. Hey, I don't want a fat belly either. But don't be afraid to eat, just eat healthy and eat right. Use the tools on MFP to help you.

Exercise helps build muscle from your calories instead of fat. It also helps release endorphins, serotonin and other "feel good" hormones in your body to keep you motivated and feeling positive. Strength training, Pilates, Yoga would be great to fuel your mind-body-spirit. Take some daily walks and use that time to focus on your goals. That is my best "thinking" time, when I get out for my morning walk/jog/bike ride for 20-30 minutes before work.

Don't be afraid of carbs, but think of food as fuel to give you energy to do the activities you love. Steer clear of processed foods (all the junk foods, boxed, or canned, or prepackaged food), and stick to fresh foods. I have developed a love for cooking because I can control what goes into my body. MFP has healthy recipes, as well as CookingLight, My Recipes, and others that also provide the nutritional content of the recipes. I have found this has really helped keep my belly fat in check, and I have lots of energy to exercise and enjoy life. You can do this.

Surround yourself with a great support system of close friends and family, include a medical professional and nutritionist that you like and trust to help guide you. You can eat without getting fat. Just eat right. Best of luck to you!
  • hamoncan
    hamoncan Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Maybe figure out what weight you would be comfortable with and start eating at the calorie count that would level off at that weight. For example a 5-6 25 year old woman will maintain her weight at 120 lbs if she eats approx 1800 calories per day. If you`re under that you`ll slowly rise to that weight and stop when you reach it. Just a suggestion if that would make you worry less about becoming over-weight.
  • Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    tigersword wrote: »
    See your doctor.

Carbs are generally not stored as fat. They are burned right away, then stored as glycogen in your muscles and liver in order to be used later by your muscles. Only if your body is completely saturated with glycogen (which basically never happens) will carbs become fat. Some fat is a good thing, as body fat is actually a major part of the endocrine system and has a large role in manufacturing and regulating hormones.

Again, see your doctor. I hope if you're recovering from anorexia that you have the appropriate medical and psychological supervision to help you get through this, as in general, us random internet people aren't generally qualified.

^Best answer ever!!!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    <snip>yes you are right, if you eat more carbs than you burn, it will turn into fat. Apparently you can store carbs in your blood as glycogen for about 72 hours. This is an average of course and depends on your muscle mass. As an anorexic, you probably have very low muscle mass so its unlikely you have 72 hours to burn off what you consume without it becoming fat. <snip>

Do you know how unlikely DNL actually is? The above is missing so many elements in the process, its basically wrong.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    See your doctor.

^^this
  • Kellyssee
    Options
    As a recovering anorexic, rest assured that the fear of gaining weight dissipates as you gain weight. It's counterintuitive, but when your body is healthier (which DOES mean being at a healthy weight- one at which your endocrine system is fully functional and one that can be maintained without over exercising or restricted-obsessive eating) you feel slimmer! Trust me, I was shocked- it was a revelation and it struck almost exactly when I reached a healthy BMI (go figure). Of course, looking lean isn't the most important reason to recover, but when you're energetic, warm, confident, mentally clear, able to wear what you like, and socialize without planning your day around waiting for your next meal, fitting in cardio, going to sleep early enough to avoid hunger pangs, you will be living a much fuller life and will be able to appreciate all of the beauty you have- AND- the beauty that the world holds for you to savor and be a part of.
  • Kellyssee
    Options
    People will post conflicting (confusing) research, and it's natural to be baffled (they aren't necessarily wrong) because nutrition is a science which means that its truths are constantly being reevaluated, overturned, and updated. There are going to be paradigm shifts continuously and tracking all of it is only going to feed into your disorder when what you NEED to feed is your body. Do what feels right for you, not what you think is right, and you will be much better off. If that means not listening to me or anyone else, so be it, but you will probably have to gain some weight to reclaim your life- that doesn't mean you're abandoning your identity, and anyone who cares about you will love you more for being resilient and focusing on what you can contribute in the long term rather than what you lack.
    Options
    All above relates to Anorexia. I am in my late 60's and need to gain weight. I am not anorexic!!
    Don't say "see your Dr", they just laugh as all they hear about is people complaining about being over weight! Tell me to eat more.
    MyFitness is a great site, but aimed at low calorie and weight loss goals.
    When I enter my weight, height..it comes back with, "Are you sure". This is an unhealthy weight, see your Doctor!
    I am not scared of gaining weight, I am scared of not being able to gain weight.
    I don't need advice..I need a MyFitness Plan with goals!
  • Patttience
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Sarauk2sf wrote: »
    See your doctor.

^^this

DNL - do you have another definition?
    en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Differential_nonlinearity

Since you seem to be a bit thick sarauk, when we say carbs are turned into fat or excess carbs are stored as fat, we who say this, totally understand the process but we do not feel it necessary to spell out the whole process. We are basically making the point shorthand, that if you eat an excess of calories wherever they come from, it will become fat. Whether its carbs, fat or protein. It will become fat on your body if you do not burn it up.

Since the op mentioned carb, we replied in terms of carbs. But of course we also know there are differences in the way these different macros are processed by the body but the question does not require any replies to spell it out.

Whatever she's eating, if she's eating an more calories than she's burning in a day, it will become fat. Calories she uses will become energy, muscle, and other tissues around her body. Fat is the excess. She's needs some added fat. So she needs to be eating an excess of calories at the moment. This is what i was trying to point out.

• Patttience
    Options
    2146415976 wrote: »
    All above relates to Anorexia. I am in my late 60's and need to gain weight. I am not anorexic!!
    Don't say "see your Dr", they just laugh as all they hear about is people complaining about being over weight! Tell me to eat more.
    MyFitness is a great site, but aimed at low calorie and weight loss goals.
    When I enter my weight, height..it comes back with, "Are you sure". This is an unhealthy weight, see your Doctor!
    I am not scared of gaining weight, I am scared of not being able to gain weight.
    I don't need advice..I need a MyFitness Plan with goals!

If you have a question, perhaps the best idea is to start a new thread. This thread is about the OP and her questions.

• soidade
    soidade Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    You need to see a psychologist. Anorexia is a mental disorder. A regular MD can provide guidance, but this is a PSYCHOLOGICAL issue that needs to be treated internally as well as externally.
  • Sarauk2sf
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Sarauk2sf wrote: »
    See your doctor.

^^this

DNL - do you have another definition?
    en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Differential_nonlinearity

Since you seem to be a bit thick sarauk, when we say carbs are turned into fat or excess carbs are stored as fat, we who say this, totally understand the process but we do not feel it necessary to spell out the whole process. We are basically making the point shorthand, that if you eat an excess of calories wherever they come from, it will become fat. Whether its carbs, fat or protein. It will become fat on your body if you do not burn it up.

Since the op mentioned carb, we replied in terms of carbs. But of course we also know there are differences in the way these different macros are processed by the body but the question does not require any replies to spell it out.

Whatever she's eating, if she's eating an more calories than she's burning in a day, it will become fat. Calories she uses will become energy, muscle, and other tissues around her body. Fat is the excess. She's needs some added fat. So she needs to be eating an excess of calories at the moment. This is what i was trying to point out.

Did you just call me thick? As in stupid? Oh, the irony. Also, do you really feel the need to make ad hominem attacks when someone disagrees with you? Seems like a bit of an issue to me.

And you think I am referring to Differential Non Linearity? Really? Really?

Based on your response, I highly doubt that you actually know the process considering you do not even know what DNL stands for in this context.
  • pebbleslaura1
    Options
    Kellyssee wrote: »
    As a recovering anorexic, rest assured that the fear of gaining weight dissipates as you gain weight. It's counterintuitive, but when your body is healthier (which DOES mean being at a healthy weight- one at which your endocrine system is fully functional and one that can be maintained without over exercising or restricted-obsessive eating) you feel slimmer! Trust me, I was shocked- it was a revelation and it struck almost exactly when I reached a healthy BMI (go figure). Of course, looking lean isn't the most important reason to recover, but when you're energetic, warm, confident, mentally clear, able to wear what you like, and socialize without planning your day around waiting for your next meal, fitting in cardio, going to sleep early enough to avoid hunger pangs, you will be living a much fuller life and will be able to appreciate all of the beauty you have- AND- the beauty that the world holds for you to savor and be a part of.

Hard to think that this would happen but it all sounds good to me :-) i really hope i can do what u hav you must be a very strong person i know how hard it is x
  • pebbleslaura1
    Options
    Thanku all so much
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    hamoncan wrote: »
    Maybe figure out what weight you would be comfortable with and start eating at the calorie count that would level off at that weight. For example a 5-6 25 year old woman will maintain her weight at 120 lbs if she eats approx 1800 calories per day. If you`re under that you`ll slowly rise to that weight and stop when you reach it. Just a suggestion if that would make you worry less about becoming over-weight.

This may not be accurate for the OP's calorie needs though. It depends on how active she is etc. I'm a 5'6' 24 year old woman and I would lose weight at that number. As a recovering anoretic she may also need more calories to repair her body as it's been under strain for a long time.

• Sarauk2sf
    Options
    yesimpson wrote: »
    hamoncan wrote: »

This may not be accurate for the OP's calorie needs though. It depends on how active she is etc. I'm a 5'6' 24 year old woman and I would lose weight at that number. As a recovering anoretic she may also need more calories to repair her body as it's been under strain for a long time.

Anecdotal comment here, but ^this is what I have heard/seen - some recovering anorexics require a pretty high number of calories to be able to gain weight and it also depends on their activity levels. Which is one of the reasons the OP should really see a person who specializes in eating disorders, as well as looking to address the underlying issues.