Fast Metabolism Diet - anyone following

Options

Replies

• KatieMusselwhite92113
    Options
    I will be the slightly-dissenting opinion of the day :) Though the only viable and sustainable way to lose weight is to eat at a calorie deficit, some of us get bored and like to follow a specific plan for a period of time. Is it necessary? Not even a little. But if you are eating a healthy number of calories for your goal, and you are not taking any weird pills (I do see mention of pills on here, and would advise against that part of it) then more power to you! I have done some "fad" diets throughout my weight loss journey just because I occasionally want to do something different. I don't know why, but it does something for me psychologically. It has worked for me because I always choose "diet plans" that are within the correct calories for my goal, and that don't require any witchcraft or fairy dust :smile: If that is what it takes to keep me on track, I will keep doing it periodically! I will say for the thousandth time, though-- these plans only worked because I was eating at a calorie deficit, not because of any "metabolism boosting shakes" or "fat burning smoothies".

So... all I am saying is: (again) the ONLY way to lose weight is to eat at a calorie deficit, as others have mentioned. If you chose to do that through a regimented "eating plan" such as this fast metabolism diet, go for it! Just be cautious about what you are putting in your body, ensure that you are sticking to healthy goals for yourself, and that don't require "magical" pills or boast something ridiculous like 20 lbs in a week (though if it fits within a healthy calorie range, it couldn't possibly claim that... I hope )

Best of luck in your weight loss journey :)
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Phase 1 and Phase 2 are under 800 calories per day. Phase three allows up to 1200 calories per day ... those are total allowed without extra allowance for exercise. Each week cuts more than a full day's worth of calories from your weekly intake at MFP's lowest level.

It's a highly restrictive, LCD from a person who claimed "calories are a lie."

• AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    Options
    My terrible SIL is starting this today. I told her "good for you" because she's terrible.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    I appreciate all the feedback. I had never thought of HP as a fad diet.... and it sounds like some of you don't like Dr. Oz.... I thought he had good info. Thanks for the variety in perspectives.

So, you know he was brought up in front of Congress for peddling snake oil, right?
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    I appreciate all the feedback. I had never thought of HP as a fad diet.... and it sounds like some of you don't like Dr. Oz.... I thought he had good info. Thanks for the variety in perspectives.
    Dr Oz is a charlatan who admitted in a congressional investigation that the products he sells don't actually do the things he claims they do, yet he continues to sell them anyway, because he's more interested i in making money than in actually helping people.
  • brianpperkins
    Options
    Dr. Oz Grilled In Congress, Admits Weight Loss Products He Touts Don't Pass 'Scientific Muster'

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/06/17/dr-oz-congress_n_5504209.html

• myheartsabattleground
    myheartsabattleground Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options

Dr. Oz = Satan
  • brianpperkins
    Options

Dr. Oz = Satan

Satan is honest about who he is.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    Oh ... Haylie Pomroy again ... the woman that thinks coffee enemas are a good idea ... because they help you "swing into full-on detox mode."

..........so we're not supposed to put coffee in our butts?
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Oh ... Haylie Pomroy again ... the woman that thinks coffee enemas are a good idea ... because they help you "swing into full-on detox mode."

Who knew?
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,961 Member
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »

Who knew?

This is the second time I've heard someone mentioning butts drinking coffee today. :grimacing:

That's sacrilege. No one should treat their coffee that way. Or their *kitten*.
    Mentioning the E-word is a sign that you should run, far and fast. In the opposite direction.
  • meakri2001
    meakri2001 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Of a different opinion than it seems everyone else who has commented on this post, I have done the fast metabolism diet twice and enjoyed it. It was not restrictive at all and I was never hungry. I had great results with the diet and will continue to do a week of the diet every so often when I need to detox my body and lose the extra water weight and bloat. You do not need to purchase any of her products to be successful on the diet. I'm thinking many who have commented on here have never taken the time to read her book explaining why she allows and doesn't allow certain foods on the diet.
  • brianpperkins
    Options
    meakri2001 wrote: »
    Of a different opinion than it seems everyone else who has commented on this post, I have done the fast metabolism diet twice and enjoyed it. It was not restrictive at all and I was never hungry. I had great results with the diet and will continue to do a week of the diet every so often when I need to detox my body and lose the extra water weight and bloat. You do not need to purchase any of her products to be successful on the diet. I'm thinking many who have commented on here have never taken the time to read her book explaining why she allows and doesn't allow certain foods on the diet.

If it is "not restrictive at all" how can there be foods she doesn't allow?

• RealtyGoddess
    RealtyGoddess Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    FMD is not a fad diet. If you look at all the menus you will clearly see it's real food that encourages you to eat healthy, unprocessed foods. I started day 1 today. Without all the coffee enemas, etc. look at the menus. Now Dr. Oz....I can agree, I use to like him but as time as passed I am pretty upset with him.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
  • brianpperkins
    Options
    FMD is not a fad diet. If you look at all the menus you will clearly see it's real food that encourages you to eat healthy, unprocessed foods. I started day 1 today. Without all the coffee enemas, etc. look at the menus. Now Dr. Oz....I can agree, I use to like him but as time as passed I am pretty upset with him.

If you look at it is is a LCD that puts you at about 6600 total calories for a week ... 1800 below a 1200 per day minimum ... well below that when calculating net calories. Of course, she claims calories are a lie then tells people to restrict heavily. 700 cals for two days ... 800 cals for two days ... 1200 for three ... repeat for about a month.

Then there is the Pomroy/Oz combo platter ...
    http://www.doctoroz.com/episode/fast-metabolism-diet

If Oz admitted that his diet plans don't pass scientific muster during his Congressional testimony, and this is one of his plans ... hmmm .... let's take this to the logical conclusion.

• Winnjn5
    Winnjn5 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Firstly, thank you to all the responders who woke me up from my post vacation slide into "woo" acceptance. To the OP, Dr. Oz has nothing but his pocket-book in mind when it comes to what he pitches. That doesn't mean that everything he says is garbage, but it does mean you can't trust him as a go-to source.. especially when a book and supplements are for sale in relation to whatever diet or what-have you.
    The problem with this diet, and ALL diets is that you might lose weight quickly, but you will put it back on and then some when you are done. I actually found this post because I was wondering more about this approach, but as I read I realize this is not a magic pill. As with many of these diets, there is a shred of truth tossed in, which is why we are all susceptible to the con (intention or no, it IS a con). Insulin resistance and sluggish metabolisms ARE a thing, but if you have either, you are going to feel like crap, and you are going to be hungry all the time. Hence, you are not going to want to do the necessary exercise or calorie reduction to lose weight. If you think you have either, have your doctor run blood work. The best way to speed things up is to suck it up and get 3 days of VIGOROUS exercise a week. I'm not talking a stroll with the dog, I'm talking winded and sweaty. For me it's running (which I swore I would never do, but it's the most bang for my exercise buck). As for eating, make sure you are eating ENOUGH. The reason groups like weight watchers are so successful, is that they understand that weight loss is a long term balancing act. You have to eat enough calories to not make your metabolism shut down and go into starvation mode, but few enough to create a calorie deficit.
    The bottom line, is that whatever you do needs to be a permanent change in order to be sustainable. This diet is not.
  • ultrahoon
    ultrahoon Posts: 467 Member
    Options

Damn, my whole life is a lie, I don't even drink coffee and I've still been doing this! ;)

• RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Serah87 wrote: »
    andysport1 wrote: »
    So I went to her site to have a look, wow it's fantastic she'll teach you to eat special super foods (low carbs) oh and then there are these special supplements made from pure products, wow what maybe like chilli or ginger, I didn't read it but I bet she will introduce something radical like 30 mins of exercise a day.

Well OP go for it, knock yourself out, enjoy, learn, lose a bit of weight and start your journey.

NO!

I'm pretty sure that post was all satire....