Fitbit Aria scale - Body Fat %

Options
Hi all,

Apologies if this question has been answered a million times over but, if anybody is using the Fitbit Aria, do you happen to know how accurate it is in calculating body fat?

I'm 5ft 8 and am fluctuating between 130 and 134 lbs at the moment. My measurements (when taken manually) are about 36-29-37 (I have naturally big hips and very little definition between hips and waist). When I calculated body fat myself, I came out at about 23-25%. The Aria is saying 29-30% :(

I do understand the concept of 'skinny fat' and whilst my workouts probably aren't as strenuous as a lot of people on here, I do exercise at least six days a week, and some of that is resistance/strength.

Has anyone else experienced a massively inflated body fat number when using Aria to what they thought?

Replies

• Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    Scales that rely on bio-impedance to tell you your body fat are markedly unreliable. Ignore it.
  • liquoricecat
    liquoricecat Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Thanks Phrick. I suspected this but also don't want to kid myself. I will weigh again tomorrow morning when hopefully I won't be so water retentiony.
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    Hydration level/water retention is the biggest cause of inaccuracy with bio impedance body fat measurements so if you're "water retentiony" that's your most likely reason for seeing such a higher % than expected.
  • JoKnowsJo
    JoKnowsJo Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I have the scale too, the nice thing is it relays the weight info :s or :D to your weekly stats that the fitbit sends to your email, that's the one reason I got it. The percentage thing just annoys me, so I ignore it.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    With a BMI of 20, you're not 'skinny fat'. Ignore it. :)
  • liquoricecat
    Options
    By 'skinny fat' I meant more that I realise it's possible to have a healthy BMI with a high body fat percentage. Maybe not exactly the right terminology.

Thanks though. I think I'll take the reading with a pinch of salt next time.
  • aylajane
    aylajane Posts: 979 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Absolutely! The scale is pretty accurate for higher body fat percentages. It is not so good once you start building muscle. I went from 40% body fat on it (which I believe was accurate). I got down to about 25% body fat on it (which I believe was accurate), and hit my lowest weight. For the next 8 months I continued lifting weights and focusing on "recomp" fat to muscle. It stayed in the 25-27% range the WHOLE time, even though I could clearly see a difference. My weight stayed about the same as well. I finally went and got a DEXA scan and it said I was at 17%! (I posted about this exact same thing here recently - http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10033546/dexa-scan-one-year-results-have-to-tell-someone/p1 - this is also a good example of being skinny-fat and what that can look like! ugh).

There is an "athletic" mode that might be a little more accurate (it put mine at 21% even though I know it is 17... but still better than 25!). I have mine set on that and just use it as a reference since I know it is inaccurate.

I think at your weight it is likely not going to be helpful anymore. Use measurements and pics instead/in addition to, and/or get another type of scan to confirm. You can also check the Eat, Train, Progress group on here - they have a sticky thread where you can post pictures and they will estimate your body fat for you.
  • aylajane
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Didnt realize I apparently deleted the pic - here is a different post instead... The bottom two pics in each are only *15* pounds difference! My aria scale still says 25% on regular mode and 21% on athletic mode.
    -
    aylajane wrote: »
    Top left pic is in 2009 - it was my "before" pic for some diet or workout I was planning to try - didnt make it a week!. In 2011 i had lost 55 pounds very fast and was feeling really good - until I took the top right pic in 2012... UGH... I was *crushed* at how bad I still looked... I was the definition of "skinny fat" - I had lost a TON of muscle... My shoulders and knees were skeletal, I had no butt to speak of, and yet still lots of back and belly fat. I fell into depression and basically didnt get out of bed for months - GAINED 20 pounds...

In late 2013 I joined a gym and got some basic training sessions to help me know what to do. I found I *loved* lifting weights and having someone personally tell me what to do (group classes and videos never worked for me). 4 months of working with him I lost the 20 pounds to put me right back where I was in 2012 - 145 pounds. But a whole size smaller due to gaining some muscle back! That is the bottom left picture.

Two months after that I had lost another 15 pounds, and I have slowly been recomping since with my weight staying steady the whole time. I went from 40% body fat when I started training to 17% (DEXA scan) now. I have curves and a butt and everything :) The best part is my trainer forced me to increase calories all year. I was paying him, so I listened! I now maintain on 2100-2300 calories a day (yes, it takes some effort). I am actually trying to "bulk" now and gain a few more pounds of muscle! What a change from the past 25 years of my life!

Sorry for the long story, just had to explain the pics!

BackComparison_zps3e397149.jpg

Picture4_zps01d3240a.jpg

• WRXymama
    WRXymama Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I have my BF measured once a week at the Dr, and I also have the FitBit scale. The differences between the two numbers have been between a 2%-3% difference. Hope that helps.
  • aylajane
    edited January 2015
    Options
    With a BMI of 20, you're not 'skinny fat'. Ignore it. :)

Yes, you can be. When I first hit 130 pounds (BMI 21.6), I had about 25% body fat. My arms and shoulders were underdeveloped and nearly skeletal looking, and I had no butt to speak of (it hurt to sit down). But my stomach and hips were still clearly bigger. 8 months later, exactly same weight and BMI, but 17% body fat (so lots more muscle!) my body looks completely different. My BMI is still the same. But I am not "skinny-fat" anymore. I still have a lot of excess skin on my stomach and inner thighs and all, so I actually do appear "oddly fatter" than I really am.

BMI doesnt account for body fat percents.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    I've had a Fitbit Aria Wifi Scale for a year and a half, and the body fat measurement is complete rubbish. But I love never having to log my weight.

Connect your MFP account at http://www.myfitnesspal.com/apps/show/33

I also use a website called TrendWeight.com to see the trend without all the "noise" from water weight. It even predicts when you'll reach your goal range—way more accurately than MFP's "in 5 weeks" nonsense.
  • lifeskittles
    lifeskittles Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Scales are crap. Really anything to me except the little pod thing is crap...My scale says 24% body fat...then I got one done by a trainer once that said 18%...and then I got one done on another weird gadget that said 15%...and then the body-pod said 21% which I most believe.
  • liquoricecat
    Options
    Thank you all for your helpful responses. I think I know that my best course of action is to ignore for now.

I was a little shocked by my weight when I first stepped on the Aria - over new year I have indulged slightly but but less than a week ago when I measured myself on my old scales, I was 130 lbs. On the Aria I was 134 lbs yesterday, 133 lbs today. I was hoping the body fat percentage would level out a bit just to make me feel better but nope - still 30% ish. Ah well.

Almost beginning to wonder if my old scales were wrong the whole time and I've actually just not lost any weight at all over the past four months. It's really painfully slow going at the moment...
  • ohmgetsfit
    ohmgetsfit Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I nearly died when I stepped on it and it said 35%!! (I may take the thing back!! bought it yesterday) But it may be just the challenge I need to even just try to change THAT number...I like challenge...I don't know!
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    The body fat scales I had weren't even good for just trend analysis, because they would jump up to 20% for no reason. Yours might at least be ok at judging your overall trend.

If you decide you like the wireless deal but don't want to pay for the body fat tool, I really like the $99 Withings and it's around $80 with a 20% off B,B,Beyond coupon.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    Almost beginning to wonder if my old scales were wrong the whole time and I've actually just not lost any weight at all over the past four months. It's really painfully slow going at the moment...

No two scales are ever calibrated the same. Just take the 3-lb. hit on your new Aria, and start looking for a downward trend.
  • aylajane
    Options
    Google the aria scale and accuracy. Even if you look on the fitbit site they tell you that you can step on it like 5 times in a row before you start to get a consistent number, and others tell you not to do it first thing in the morning because you are more dehydrated (mine is 2-5% different in the evening - weight up, fat % down).

Dont forget to check out the "athletic" mode. THere is no real guidance on who should use it, or at what point you should switch if you have been lifting weights for awhile... But it will put you lower and the site just says "some people get more accurate readings" from that mode.

All still just a guess though!
  • liquoricecat
    Options
    I changed the scale to the athletic mode and I'm now getting a reading of 27% which isn't great but I'll take it over 30. Thanks all! x
  • cheritek
    cheritek Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I know this is an old post, but my aria scale BF% is definitely wrong. It goes up and down 5-7% DAILY. I just ignore it now, but you can also wear socks and avoid the whole thing. B)
  • scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    Options
    There's an old thread all about this. The sensors shoot to the hipline; a male/female extrapolation metric calculates the rest. Try telling Aria you're a dude, and see what happens. Some women with leaner lower bodies & broader shoulders get a 'better' reading but even that isn't truly accurate.
    I like the visual aids for now. It's pretty easy to determine your range. When I get to my first goal weight I'm going to DEXA (sp?) myself. I've heard university rates for that scan are some of the cheapest.