I can't find this ingredient ANYWHERE - Why is it so hard to find???

Options
2»

Replies

• jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    samdavis88 wrote: »
    I ran into this problem with honey-mustard seasoning (I wanted to make chips) and I still haven't found a good answer. For packets though, why not add everything but the bananas and then just bring 1/2 banana to make it? Also, have you tried some of the crazy prepper places? They often have dried ingredients.
    What do you mean by "crazy prepper places"? Is there an actual store called Crazy Prepper or can you clarify please?

Honestly, I think "Crazy Prepper" would be an awesome name for a store. Hilarious! My mom would shop there and she'd probably be amused by the name, too. (*)
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    You can order it from Amazon, no problem.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    I really want to be able to make my own bananas & cream instant oatmeal packets - but one ingredient is just so damn hard to find: powdered banana or dried banana flakes.

T[bT]he one or two websites I can find that actually have it in stock charge absolutely ridiculous shipping prices unless you order $50 at a time. I don't need 5+ pounds of this stuff! It might not even work the way I want it to, so I don't want to waste $50+ on an experiment that doesn't even work out.[/b]

Has anyone ever been able to find banana powder in a whole foods store? If so, where?

What ingredients have you had trouble finding or purchasing at a reasonable price?

Something I noticed when Googling to see what else I might be able to find for you is that it's being used for make up products now. Banana powder to make your own makeup and other beauty products, which might be the reason for the high cost?
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    You can order it from Amazon, no problem.
    The one or two websites I can find that actually have it in stock charge absolutely ridiculous shipping prices unless you order $50 at a time. I don't need 5+ pounds of this stuff! It might not even work the way I want it to, so I don't want to waste $50+ on an experiment that doesn't even work out.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Amazon says its about $5 for standard delivery in the US.
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    sarahtude wrote: »
    do you have a trader joes around you? they sell freeze dried bananas that you could easily pound into powder, or leave as in the oatmeal. worth a shot!

This is just what I was going to say - TJs has freeze-dried fruit. They have bananas and other options too, so you could vary your packets (blueberries, strawberries, and mango I think).
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    I'm just going to say, if you don't mash them before you dry them, and ensure the dried mass is very thin, you may have the surprise opportunity to buy a new food processor.
  • pscarolina
    pscarolina Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    haha I am a buyer for a spice/seasoning company & look for this stuff every day (in bulk though...like pallet quantities of dried raspberry) It is quite a challenge to find & I'm thinking you may find the banana powder has fillers like sipernat or flo-gard in it to keep it from clumping. I'd attempt making my own if I needed a small quantity.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    I found banana powder on amazon- $20 plus $5 shipping for 1 lb. http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00HDS8BWQ/ref=dp_olp_0?ie=UTF8&condition=all&sr=1-1&qid=1420557553

Alternately, there are other ways. You can make the oatmeal in a large batch using real banana and then individually portion and freeze servings of it. All you would have to do to prepare is thaw on the counter/in the fridge and/or microwave.

This blogger uses dehydrated banana slices:
    http://amomknowsbest.com/2011/06/make-your-own-instant-oatmeal-packets/

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    pscarolina wrote: »
    haha I am a buyer for a spice/seasoning company & look for this stuff every day (in bulk though...like pallet quantities of dried raspberry) It is quite a challenge to find & I'm thinking you may find the banana powder has fillers like sipernat or flo-gard in it to keep it from clumping. I'd attempt making my own if I needed a small quantity.

Can I be your friend? I'd like to have a contact at a spice company... ;)
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    I really want to be able to make my own bananas & cream instant oatmeal packets -
    Is there a reason you don't want to use storebought or make your own with fresh bananas?

• happysquidmuffin
    happysquidmuffin Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I really want to be able to make my own bananas & cream instant oatmeal packets -
    Is there a reason you don't want to use storebought or make your own with fresh bananas?

Because I'll know exactly what's in my food, and it's just an experiment because I love to cook. I can use fresh bananas of course, and I have done so, but it's the convenience factor I want. Plus, you only have like 2 days in which a banana is perfect, and... I have wasted many a banana in the past (though sometimes I turn mushy ones into banana bread, but who wants to do that all the time???) With banana powder, I could mix up a batch of like 10 servings of oatmeal, put them in individual baggies, and have them ready to grab for work.

I realize this thread was kinda zombified, but I like all the new suggestions I got. Thanks! I might just try the oven method and get a cheap coffee grinder...
  • wildtxn
    wildtxn Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I use the freeze dried bananas from "just tomatoes" company for my oatmeal packets and works great. Dried banana chips do not
  • UnicornAmanda
    UnicornAmanda Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Call up your local Whole foods store and ask them! The whole foods store near me usually has stuff like that... Good luck!