I'm joining a gym and would like to show up there not looking totally lost (and being overwhelmed)

Options
Hi all, I am being that stereotypical person who joins a gym right after New Years. I'm giving myself some credit though because it just opened. Either way, I was trying to find a workout schedule but I feel very overwhelmed. I was wondering if you all could help direct me to something that would give me a schedule or guidance or basically anything.

(My gym does not have a swimming pool)

My goals are as follows:
01: To start running
02: To get dat booty
03: Honestly to be a healthy, active person

I read the "so you want to start running" sticky and believe that C25K would be the best program for me. I can't run worth *kitten* at the moment, so starting at the very beginning is something that I need to do.

I also know that you can't spot reduce fat, to eat more protein, going balls to walls in the beginning is a setup for failure, and I am not scared/intimidated by the "men's" section in the gym (I am single.... wtb boyfriends please).

But yeah, help o:)

Replies

• trillion30
    trillion30 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    See if your gym offers a free 'get started' session with one of the trainers, we had to ask but got a 45 min tour/show of the gym and a basic workout starting point set up.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    i am assuming that you want to lose fat, yes?

Set MFP to a .5 pound or one pound per week loss.
    get a food scale and weigh/log/measure everything that you eat
    set your macros % to 35 carbs, 35 protein, 30 fats

As far as working out, you want to get on a program that has you doing compound movements and has progressive overload built into it.

compound movements = squats, deadlifts, pull ups/chin ups, rows, overhead press, bench press

progressive overload = you are adding weight to the exercises that you do ..so if you are doing three sets by eight reps when that feels easy you add five pounds, and so on and on ..

I would suggest looking up new rules of lifting for woman as a book…

stronglifts and 5x5 are great beginner programs.

I would be wary of a personal trainer as they may just so you some machines and then tell you do do three sets of 12 on 10 # dumbbells and then never show you how to squat, deadlift, etc..

If you do get a trainer tell them that you ant to learn proper form for squats, bench press, deadlifts etc…

as a beginner you may benefit from a three day a week total body type workout with cardio on off days and then progress to a more intermediate program about six months down the road.
  • ankalime
    ankalime Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    What trillion30 said. More than likely they will be happy to show you what to do and how to do it. When my husband and I joined our gym, we purchased a 12-week body transformation program as well, where a personal trainer creates workouts and diets for us and monitors our progress. I've lost 18 lbs in 8 weeks and gained a lot of muscle. It feels great!
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    Give someone in the middle of lifting something a very wide berth. It's dangerous to get in their way when they're moving. Someone will probably get hurt.