Why I Don't Have A Photo.

Options
I just received a message from someone who came off as unbalanced. Among other things, the person criticized me for not posting a photo. That message confirmed the wisdom of my decision to use the My Fitness Pal generic avatar, as well as my decision not to post too much identifying information about myself.

I've never been overweight and use MFP to monitor my weight maintenance. I have nothing to prove to anyone and, as I always suggest to everyone, I use my own judgment when it comes to diet and fitness.

My posts are always meant to be helpful, but it's abundantly clear that some people here are only interested in having their own opinions confirmed, even if they are on their 100th weight loss "journey."

Replies

• Yliy
    Yliy Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Someone messaged a friend of mine asking if they were single! I didn't realize this was a dating site! lol
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Good for you!
  • BenchPressingCats
    BenchPressingCats Posts: 1,826 Member
    Options
    Someone messaged me and asked if I really bench press cats. Of course I do, my name doesn't lie!
  • MrAllia
    MrAllia Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I can confirm that she does indeed bench-press cats, as I can confirm that I am a Mr.
  • 5ftnFun
    5ftnFun Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    <----I just think this kitty pic I found is way cuter than me. :happy: I don't know, I sometimes think about posting a real pic of myself. Maybe some day. As for you and everyone else, to each his own I say.
  • 5ftnFun
    5ftnFun Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    Someone messaged a friend of mine asking if they were single! I didn't realize this was a dating site! lol

I don't think it was intended to be, but I read a real sweet post recently about a couple who met here and married. :heart:
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    I didn't realize it was a big deal to some people *shrugs*
  • stacetherainbow
    Options
    Hmmm. I should post more about things that irritate me
  • sznnn
    sznnn Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I want everyone to know how Sirius I am about my weight loss journey.
  • cycleholic
    cycleholic Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    We disburse way too much information over the Internet. I don't fault you for not wanting to post a picture and wanting to keep a low profile.

This. I removed my picture when I googled my MFP name and saw my smiling face. My page was locked tho...
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    My husband asked me not to post pics and I promised I wouldn't.

I recently posted asking for advice and had a shirtless torso dude repeatedly ask me for a pic, even though there was no rational reason a pic was needed to answer my question. When I made it clear I was not posting one he started insulting me. It was rather creepy and made me glad I've never posted pics.
  • MzManiak
    MzManiak Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    I didn't realize it was a big deal to some people *shrugs*
  • MzManiak
    MzManiak Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    Maybe they were asking out of a true concern for your health. If I see someone on my friend's list only netting 800 calories, I WILL ask them about it. If they get offended, oh well. Maybe you get offended because you know you either have an eating disorder, or are borderline in developing one...?
  • Ascolti_la_musica
    Ascolti_la_musica Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't trust posting much of anything on a website with a community as volatile as this one. People are quick to get personal with you, and will attack anything they can to make themselves feel superior.
  • Garlicmash
    Garlicmash Posts: 208
    Options
    No one has to put anything up about themselves if they don't want to and why some ppl think they have the right to see everything about you is very strange.
    I've seen posts from ppl saying they have had rude comments because their diaries aren't open and others telling them what they should and should not eat.

Just remember there is a block setting on here to stop a person from trying to interact with you.
    It's plain nosiness really.
  • prdavies1949
    prdavies1949 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    We disburse way too much information over the Internet. I don't fault you for not wanting to post a picture and wanting to keep a low profile.

This. I removed my picture when I googled my MFP name and saw my smiling face. My page was locked tho...

I just did the same and google not only came up with my MFP home page but the last 20 posts I have made on here. Make that 21 now. But then as an old man I'm not that bothered.
  • Jerrypeoples
    Jerrypeoples Posts: 1,541 Member
    Options
    i would have went with, I'm a vampire, we do not photograph!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Maybe they were asking out of a true concern for your health. If I see someone on my friend's list only netting 800 calories, I WILL ask them about it. If they get offended, oh well. Maybe you get offended because you know you either have an eating disorder, or are borderline in developing one...?

How would a photo cofirm an eating disorder??
  • staceypunk
    staceypunk Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    I get why you wouldn't want to post a photo of yourself, but choose a picture of something that says a little bit about who you are, like a cat, or an equality sign, or a happy face , what ever. I am very visual and just enjoy the experience more that way. But of course, if you really just want the generic MFP dude, then so be it.