Quinoa - Want To Try It!

Options
I have never had quinoa. Want to expand my horizons! Any suggestions on recipes greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Replies

• WithWhatsLeft
    WithWhatsLeft Posts: 196 Member
    Options
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    fabulous.

I always cook it in a broth. Makes it taste a bit nuttier.

My current favorite is kale, black beans and quinoa. But next on my list to try is this stuffing: http://www.gimmesomeoven.com/quinoa-stuffing-recipe-quinoa-butternut-squash-cranberries-pistachios/ which is a lot like #14 on Suzanne's link.
  • lucys1225
    lucys1225 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I always make sure I rinse it before I cook it. This is my family's favorite.

http://damndelicious.net/2014/04/09/one-pan-mexican-quinoa/
  • jfp420
    jfp420 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Laurend224 wrote: »

Looks delicious. Just pinned it for lunch this week
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    Someone I knew made stuffed peppers with it in lieu of rice.
  • alphabetsoup2013
    alphabetsoup2013 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    This is my personal favourite: Mexican Quinoa Salad. It is soooooo good.
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    Quinoa burgers...yum! Had one for lunch topped with mozzarella, avocado and baby spinach. Would have added some marinara sauce, but didn't have any.
  • pineapple_jojo
    pineapple_jojo Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    I like it in salads, cooked in broth for extra flavour. Be careful with it tho, it's quite calorie dense.
  • ineego
    ineego Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Always rinse it very well! Quinoa has a natural waxy film that can be very upsetting to certain individuals stomach..and once you experience this you will never enjoy quinoa again! Otherwise this is an amazing food in all regards...very versatile.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Right. I buy the pre-rinsed kind if I can because the outside can be bitter.
  • jillcoyle
    jillcoyle Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Great recipe- I make this one all the time; have it for lunch with grilled chicken. http://www.skinnytaste.com/2013/04/mediterranean-quinoa-salad.html
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    I like to cook 1/4 cup quinoa and then add it to 200g kale cooked with a bit of water, 2 tbs dry veg soup mix, 30g mixed fried fruit. This makes about 4 100g servings. Another version is to cook the quinoa only, chop an apple and set it aside to soak in lemon juice. Chop a couple of green onions into a very large bowl of raw kale, sprinkle with your choice of herbs. When the quinoa is done, pour it over the kale and onions(the hot quinoa will wilt the veggies). Then stir in the apple chunks. Serve cold as a salad. Add salt, if desired.
  • WithWhatsLeft
    WithWhatsLeft Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I cook oatmeal and quinoa together in equal parts water and fat free skim milk - they both cook exactly the same way - and store it in the fridge.

For a quick hot breakfast, heat up 1/2 cup of the mixture with whatever you like. I like dried cranberries and almonds, with a tiny dash of sweetener.
  • DianePK
    DianePK Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I have a brown rice and quinoa mix that I just cook in the rice cooker and serve in place of plain white rice.
  • DaFibble
    DaFibble Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Quinoa makes me feel good, as in actively boosts my sense of wellbeing. I usually cook it in chicken broth with olive oil, garlic, onion, ginger, various seeds (pumpkin, sesame, chia, hemp, sunflower), mild curry spices, bit of lemon juice and maybe some mushrooms or peppers. Great accompaniment to chicken.
  • KayMar73
    Options
    I love quinoa. I use it instead of rice or oatmeal. Even if I have a garden salad, I just throw a handful of cooked quinoa in it.
  • MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    Options
    Check out skinnytaste.com-she has a recipe for breakfast quinoa that's awesome.
    It cooks just like rice...once it's cooked, you can make it like hot cereal or you can use it as a substitute for rice...or use it cold in salads (it makes an awesome greek salad-just add a homemade or bottled greek dressing to taste, chunks of cucumber, cherry tomatoes, greek olives, feta cheese) NOM
  • cocates
    cocates Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    jillcoyle wrote: »
    Great recipe- I make this one all the time; have it for lunch with grilled chicken. http://www.skinnytaste.com/2013/04/mediterranean-quinoa-salad.html

^^This. I LOVE this recipe. If there is something you don't like, omit it or replace it with something else. Sometimes, I'm not in the mood for kalmata olives and feta, so I omit it. I've also cut back the EVOO as well.

Good luck!