Does it matter what kind of food you eat?

Options
Would you lose weight faster if you were eating things like salads and lean meats as well as fruits and vegetables. Or would you lose the same amount if you were eating breads and pastas as long as your within your calorie range?(with working out btw)

Replies

• Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    For weight loss it doesn't matter.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    same as above
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    Laurend224 wrote: »
    For weight loss it doesn't matter.

This. Only sort of matters for endurance and body composition goals. For endurance this means focusing on carbohydrate intake. For body comp it means focusing on protein intake while lifting weights. Even then all of this only requires monitoring macros, not specific food items.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    For weight loss, probably not. For HEALTH yes.

There's more to life than a number on a scale. Macros AND MICROS are important for health. Yes, one can meet their macros and fail to eat a nutrient dense diet. Easily.
  • fat2strongbeth
    fat2strongbeth Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    Agree with above that for weight loss, it doesn't matter as long as you are in a calorie deficit. However, for me, I did much better once I cut out most processed foods, etc. I find that when I eat fresh fruits, veggies, high quality meat, etc. I have fewer cravings and have more overall success. I also have more energy and focus.
  • obscuremusicreference
    obscuremusicreference Posts: 1,320 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    You get to the point where you WANT more fruits and veggies and lean proteins, because you see how much farther you can stretch those calories than bread and pasta.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    You get to the point where you WANT more fruits and veggies and lean proteins, because you see how much farther you can stretch that than bread and pasta.

And how much better you feel.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Unless you have a medical condition, no, the kind of food you eat doesn't matter for weight loss. For health, that's a different story.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    For weight loss, no. For health and optimal performance, yes.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    You get to the point where you WANT more fruits and veggies and lean proteins, because you see how much farther you can stretch those calories than bread and pasta.

I've yet to get to that point. I love fruit and pasta, but if I had to make a choice I'd probably choose pasta because I can easily turn that into a delicious macaroni casserole or just top it with some meat and sauce. Pasta and fruit leave me equally hungry after their consumption when eaten during the first half of my day if my macro ratios aren't well balanced. If I ate an entire meal of pasta vs an entire meal of fruit and veggies for lunch, I'd be really hungry by like 3-4pm. Carbs are carbs are carbs, my body reacts to them in the same way regardless of their nutritional content.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I really don't know if foods make a difference. If they do, nobody told me. I'm sure they'll continue to study it, though. Nutrition is a rapidly expanding World Of Wonder. :)

The experts are in agreement that calories have the largest, possibly only, effect on weight loss and we have to deal with what we know. You could eat nothing but junk food and still lose weight, no doubt about it.

The experts are also in agreement that the kind of food you eat is important for your overall health.

So, to answer the question...Health, yes - weight loss, no. :)
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    As everyone has said - for health, yes, but for weight loss, no.
  • Original_Beauty
    Original_Beauty Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    For health yes, you can not expect your body to work at its peak when you give it crap.