Sugar Cravings

Options
xsix
xsix Posts: 62 Member
I do not know where they came from, I did not used to have them, but now that i'm working hard at trying to get back in shape, they come out of no where. How do you guys deal with them when you get them? Can you provide any scientific information on this topic?

Replies

• fearlessleader104
    fearlessleader104 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    If I get cravings, I go and eat what I crave. Problem solved.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Did you cut out a lot of foods?
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    If I get cravings, I go and eat what I crave. Problem solved.

2nd, unless doing so removes or reduces my deficit in a significant way. Then I just log it for tomorrow.
  • ReallyHappilyMarried
    Options
    Personally, I have been trying to break a sugar habit, therefore, I have been substituting healthier but sweet opinions for their worse counterparts. For example, I have replaced chocolate ice cream with a milkshake made with chocolate flavored amplified whey protein powder, 8 oz of almond milk and ice. I purée the mixture in a blender and it makes a fantastically chocolate milkshake. I have found a lot of homemade alternates if you have a specific item you crave the most.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Another poster recently reminded me that exercise reduces sugar cravings. I had strong cravings yesterday morning, went and did some cardio, and bam, they were gone completely. Sorry, not a scientific study, but so effective I couldn't resist sharing.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I don't really get sugar cravings. When I want something sweet, I have some fruit. Berries, especially previously-frozen berries, taste very sweet. :)
  • njungers
    njungers Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    What do you guys eat that are healthier alternatives to sugar-laced foods?
  • GoldaTyla
    GoldaTyla Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Baby carrots are low cal and tasty. Cucumber slices, too. Apples, pears, peaches, etc in moderation.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    njungers wrote: »

Berries/fruit

• Hollywood_Porky
    Hollywood_Porky Posts: 491 Member
    Options

Berries/fruit

She deserves a bump big time. Eat fruit. Fruit is full of fiber and doesn't metabolize the same as refined sugar/processed foods.
  • Christine_72
    Options

Berries/fruit

She deserves a bump big time. Eat fruit. Fruit is full of fiber and doesn't metabolize the same as refined sugar/processed foods.

Yep! I don't get the spikes and cravings after eating fruit, that I do with chocolate!

• Hollywood_Porky
    Hollywood_Porky Posts: 491 Member
    Options

Berries/fruit

Yep! I don't get the spikes and cravings after eating fruit, that I do with chocolate!

Hmmm I knew this - I was a chocolatier at one time. I knew exactly how to make sure to keep you coming back for more. I made money doing it.

I respect your posts - I read them and agree. If you eat right, you never have to worry about it.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    xsix wrote: »
    I do not know where they came from, I did not used to have them, but now that i'm working hard at trying to get back in shape, they come out of no where. How do you guys deal with them when you get them? Can you provide any scientific information on this topic?

https://youtube.com/watch?v=f51IfMX7iKg

Only 3 minutes long but this doctor states sugar cravings come from not eating enough protein or being low on minerals. This was news to me but he seems serious.

• Snow3y
    Snow3y Posts: 1,412 Member
    Options
    Look at sugar replacements.. Even using Xylitol or sweeteners for adding sweetness..
  • taraskylit
    taraskylit Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I would look at your daily log of food.
    Have you eaten enough protein/fat?
    Have you consumed adequate micro-nutrients?
    My sugar cravings generally come from low dietary fat.

Also, either make low-cal versions of the things you are craving, keep busy or fit them into your macros/calories.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options

Berries/fruit

Hmmm I knew this - I was a chocolatier at one time. I knew exactly how to make sure to keep you coming back for more. I made money doing it.

I respect your posts - I read them and agree. If you eat right, you never have to worry about it.
    I like her posts, too, even when I don't agree with her.

She's so damn pretty that I'm jealous, but she's very pleasant. :)
  • Christine_72
    Options
    Oi you two :# xoxox

Kalikel I have learnt a lot from your posts. Hopefully we can all share our opinions, and help each other out :D
  • tkillion810
    tkillion810 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    Sweet cravings are something I have really struggled with. There are a few things that have helped me. First, I have been trying to put a purpose to each of the foods I'm eating. I ask myself if this food is going to help me reach my goals (weight and performance). Then I look at how I can make a healthier, but tasty version. I don't use white sugar anymore. Sweetness now comes from medjool dates, applesauce, bananas, real maple syrup, or honey for my goodies. White sugar can cause inflammation, so I avoid it like the plague. And lastly, I've recently eliminated wheat/grains from my diet. This is still experimental for me - as I believe there is a connection to the spike in blood sugar levels that is precipitating the cravings. I used to start my day with oatmeal, but struggled all morning to fight hunger and sweet desire. I've been sticking to pseudograins, like buckwheat, amarath, and quinoa for my grains, and other carbs coming from sweet potatoes or fruit/veggies.

Good luck!
  • xsix
    Options
    Did you cut out a lot of foods?

Nope, im an ovo-lacto vegetarian so my dends to run clean, a Cheezy Poof here and there to scratch the itch, but thats about it.

One thing I have picked up now is http://www.zevia.com/ instead of normal sodas, the taste is kinda so so, but it satisfies my urges and lowers blood sugar which hopefully means less insulin resistance
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/505230-does-stevia-affect-blood-sugar/
  • xsix
    Options
    Personally, I have been trying to break a sugar habit, therefore, I have been substituting healthier but sweet opinions for their worse counterparts. For example, I have replaced chocolate ice cream with a milkshake made with chocolate flavored amplified whey protein powder, 8 oz of almond milk and ice. I purée the mixture in a blender and it makes a fantastically chocolate milkshake. I have found a lot of homemade alternates if you have a specific item you crave the most.

Thanks, i'm trying things like this now.