Low sodium meals

Options
Does anyone know of any good web sites that offer low sodium meal recipes? One of my problem areas is to much sodium. The other in not enough Potassium, but I think I have that figured out.

Replies

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Too much sodium and too little potassium? You and most Americans! Welcome to the very large club!

Start here: http://sodiumbreakup.heart.org/sodium-411/

There are a ton of low-sodium cookbooks. Some are more exotic than others. Check the library. Read reviews on amazon.

Exotic cooking is typical because all those spices make up for the flavor you miss when you cut the salt. Once you get used to less salt, the "plain, boring, tasteless" foods will begin to seem less tasteless. After a while, you won't miss it! When you do eat something prepared with tons of salt - even stuff you used to love! - you'll be saying, "God, it just tastes like salt! Yuck!"

Make friends with Mrs. Dash. Start with the table blend - last time I bought it, the cap was hunter green. Mrs. Dash makes products that your store may not carry, so check amazon. I get a lot of hard-to-find things from amazon. There are some recipes on the website: http://www.mrsdash.com/recipes (They aren't necessarily healthy, but they're using Mrs. Dash, which is the point for that website!)

Magazines are super cheap these days. I subscribed to three magazines with recipes for six dollars
    and got three free gifts. Six bucks - for 36 magazines, total, all full of recipes (and some coupons!)

Then there is Google. Everything is so much easier these days. People used to go nuts after their heart attacks, trying to figure out how the hell to enjoy healthy eating. Now it's just a few clicks away!
  • chrism575
    chrism575 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Thanks, this is just what I needed.
  • pdxwine
    pdxwine Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Here is another good site to explore. sodiumgirl.com/

I am also eating low sodium. It is actually easier than it seems, just takes practice.
  • chrism575
    Options
    Thank you both! I will be checking out these web sites.
  • vingt20cent
    Options
    I agree - Mrs. Dash is awesome! There are high levels of sodium in many products that are canned - so be wary. I remember someone telling me that when grocery shopping, shop around the perimeter of the store - that's where most of the fresh and unpackaged products are located. Of course, drink LOTS of water to flush out your system.
  • chrism575
    Options
    I quit table salt a long time ago and thought that was going to help. Come to find out most all the salt we are getting is for the canned and processed foods we buy from the stores. Now I have to start making my own meals from scratch and really reading the labels before I buy anything from the stores.