What are your vegan comfort foods? Recipes?

Options
What are your vegan comfort foods? I'm just wondering what y'all make or crave when you're looking for comfort food. I improvised tonight and made a spicy vegan mac and cheese.

Replies

• MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    I like bean chill. I don't really have a recipe - just beans, tomatoes, and whatever else is on hand, with some chill powder.

I also had a good recipe for cashew french toast that I really liked, but I can't find it now :(

• Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    Garlic mashed potatoes, Mac and 'cheese' made with a bechamel and nutritional yeast. Sometimes with Daiya too. Rice and beans. I don't really follow recipes, they turn out different every time.
  • Chandler330
    Chandler330 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Chili is super yum. I have a recipe for sweet potato and black bean chili with quinoa cooked right in. I love it :smile: plus it freezes well so it's handy to keep on hand.

The french toast sounds good.
  • Chandler330
    Chandler330 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Nutritional yeast is super handy to have on hand and does help to make a nice mac and 'cheese'.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Moosewood lentil soup: http://spokesman.com/stories/2009/mar/25/moosewood-lentil-soup-over-the-top/

I also make a variation with split peas by omitting the tomato & vinegar; replacing the herbs with dill, parsley & bay leaves; and adding a diced potato with the peas (optional).

I freeze leftovers of both in single-serving containers for whenever I need a comfort-food fix.
  • CraigShift
    CraigShift Posts: 69 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    baked potato's with homemade vegan sour cream, now that Gardein has fishless fish , that has become a favorite too. Stuffed red bell peppers, rice and beyond meat beefy crumbles and onions. kimchi is another favorite.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Tonight's dinner could be one of mine. I added spinach to each bowl at the end. http://lilibethsvegangarden.blogspot.com/2013/04/three-bean-lentil-soup-for-slow-cooker.html?m=1
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,585 Member
    Options
    "cheesy" garlic bread, carrot muffins,mashed potatoes with mushroom onion sauce, all dressed crispers,apple pie oatmeal,hash browns,portobello mushroom burgers,banana nice cream
  • jfp420
    jfp420 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Tempeh Helper (from the book Appetite for Reduction- it's a vegetarian version of Hamburger Helper) and Shepherds Pie made with lentils.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    tofu with sautéed kale and onions on floating top of a bowl of oriental flavor top ramen.