Do you lack motivation to go to the gym too?

Options
I seem to find it hard to go to the gym after work. Mentally i am exhausted but my body could use the workout. Are there tips and tricks other people have that work for motivation? I don't have any friends so its hard to get motivation from people at work or my family.

Replies

• LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    No one can provide you with motivation. You either want to change badly enough to do something you know you need to do......or you don't.

I spent the first several months of trying to lose weight getting up at 4am to workout. I didn't want to, I just did it. It got me in the habit of making exercise a priority. Now, there are days when I want to be lazy but mostly I just want to get a good workout in. But, it also helps that I'm not just "going to the gym" - I'm doing the things that serve me best and I enjoy them.
  • Jerrypeoples
    Jerrypeoples Posts: 1,541 Member
    Options
    if you can take your workout clothes with you to work and drive straight to the gym

i have had to condition myself to go home, make my shake, get changed and go. the minute i lay down on my bed im out like a light
  • pinkpatron
    pinkpatron Posts: 154
    Options
    I stopped looking at exercising as a chore months ago and now every week day I'm at the gym by 5am
  • kellyw036
    kellyw036 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Can you go before work? I've learned to LOVE an early workout!
  • theoesque
    theoesque Posts: 36 Member
    Options

This. There are days where if i don't work out first thing in the morning, I just never get to it! Scheduling your workouts right when you get up often works best.
  • jamers3111
    jamers3111 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I personally prefer morning workouts for this reason. You have no excuses at 6am. Get it done and then you can sit on your *kitten* after work OR sneak in a 2nd workout! :drinker:
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    I lacked the motivation to go TO the gym, so I bought weights for home and do all my running outside. That's worked better for me than the gym.
  • pandsmomCheryl
    pandsmomCheryl Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Make it a habit. I try to move every day because I sit on my rear end 8:30 - 4:30...if I miss one day every week or two that's fine, but I try to work it in EVERY day. Now if I miss a workout, it feels weird...
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options

This. There are days where if i don't work out first thing in the morning, I just never get to it! Scheduling your workouts right when you get up often works best.

Yep! I have to workout in the morning. Nights are too busy, I'm too tired, million excuses. Only morning excuse is not wanting to get out of bed. Much easier to beat that one.
  • wswilliams67
    wswilliams67 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    Switch to early morning workouts. So many benefits:

• Empty gym
    • Wakes you up
    • Energizes you for your day
    • Hardest goal of the day is done first thing... rest of the day is cake (well not literal cake).
  • rciszek
    rciszek Posts: 134
    Options
    I bring my gym clothes to work and change before I leave so I just have to stop and work out. Otherwise, I'm like you, if I have to go home and get changed and go back out I most likely lose it because I get sidetracked. Depending on what I'm doing too depends on the incentive. If I decide on doing the stationary bike I bring my book so I can sweat and enjoy a good read. I've tried and ok with reading a magazine on the elliptical, but not a favorite...
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
    Options
    The motivation has to come from you, so I have no tips or tricks that "work for motivation". However, I do have a suggestion.

Pack your gym bag at night, put it in your car in the am, do directly from work to the gym, workout once you are there. Lather, rinse, repeat.
  • DesDawn24
    DesDawn24 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain! I have a hard time dragging myself after a long day at work, and my work schedule doesn't allow me to go beforehand. I've started making sure my gym bag is packed and ready to go, I bring an extra snack and I drive straight to the gym with no stops. I just keep telling myself that it's only another hour and a half, and after that my night is totally FREE!
  • BflSaberfan
    BflSaberfan Posts: 1,272
    Options
    It was easier for me to bring the gym home. I bought a weight set for home and I run outside.
  • Michaelsdin
    Michaelsdin Posts: 146
    Options
    Early bird gets the worm.....or workout in this case lol
  • mamas0811
    mamas0811 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I do am very tired after work.. I do have a gym here on site (at work) so during my lunch i go.. Someone said on here, either you want to change bady or not.. 100% True!

I dont have a gym membership (personal reasons) but i do have some things at home i use. So what i do is put the craziest, getting you in the dancing, and pumpped mood music i have. i love listening to Reggeton so i bump that loud and it gets me in the mood! Lol.. You can try that.. Lol.. :)

Heres one that gets me going- Danza Kuduro By Don Omar & Lucenzo

Good Luck ;)
  • EDollah
    EDollah Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    I hate the gym, but I haven't missed a session since I started working out 2 months ago. I don't have any motivational trick, to me it's simply something I have to do, no negotiation, just like going to work even when you don't want to.
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    Eveyone saying motivation is internal is 100% right. Just decide that it's something you have to do. You don't have to be motivated to brush your teeth, do you? You do it because you need to, not because you are really motivated to do it.

Same thing with the gym. Motivation isn't even a factor.
  • Isakizza
    Isakizza Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Lately yes.

I've been having issues getting my butt to the gym. I never regret a workout so I know I'll be happy once I'm there but.... I don't know what it is lately. Just making excuses why I can't or don't go.

Gotta get outta this mindset!!!

21525558.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    Getting there is the hardest part for me, so I don't. I workout at home / around home.