PHENTERMIME USERS!!!

Options
to those who are using phentermine or have used it in the past - can you please tell me how it worked and what effects did it have on you? please also tell me if you have kept the weight off or gained it back after you stopped using it? this is ONLY for users, past users, or for those of you who had a close friend or family member use it.

Replies

• angelica31316
    Options
    I took it many years ago and lost about 25 lbs on it. But I was working a job where I was on my feet for about 9 hours and it just gave me energy and suppressed my apetite and the combination promoted weight loss for me. I got pregnant so I had to stop taking it and of course I gained the weight back so I can't speak on whether or not it keeps the weight off but I can imagine if you only eat the required calories to maintain your weight you should be good.
  • shellbatronic
    shellbatronic Posts: 193
    Options
    I used phentermine. I went to one of those weight loss clinic dealies where they give you phentermine pills and B12 shots. I lost about 30 pounds, felt completely shaky and cracked out, then after about a month and a half I got a tolerance to it and the normal dosage didn't "do it" anymore, and I gained it all back and then some.

Plus the bonus of my boyfriend at the time being convinced I was going to have a heart attack at any moment. Good times.
  • Buckaustink
    Buckaustink Posts: 41
    Options
    I have been using phentermine for a few months. It works for me but I only take half a dose. I don't feel jittery and it has helped me lose about 30 lbs. It's not for everyone.
  • MzPix
    MzPix Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I used it about 4-5 years ago. I lost about 40 pounds in a matter of months. I loved how I felt while I was on it.
    Within a year or two I gained back all of the weight and an additional 20 pounds or so.
    I was also diagnosed about a year later with a regurgitating heart valve which was induced by the phentermine/adipex. It is permanent without surgery.
    I would not use it again even though I still need to lose over 100 pounds. It just wasn't worth it for the damage caused to my heart, and I regained the weight plus more anyway.
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    Was on it for several weeks. Couldn't sleep, couldn't sit still, and was nasty to be around. I lost a few pounds, put them all back on plus more once I was off of it.

0/10, would not take again.
  • erica6732
    erica6732 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone for your replies
  • RoseTears143
    RoseTears143 Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    Used it for 2 days a few years ago when I went to a "weight loss clinic" years ago where they give you the B vitamin injections and put you on a starvation diet - it made my blood pressure sky rocket and it took weeks to get myself back to normal. I was put on Phendimetrizine which was much gentler on my nervous system and BP and worked the same for appetite suppression. However, I wouldn't recommend using it because all the weight I lost while on that crazy diet I gained back.

Don't diet and use pills - that's a short term solution to a long term issue which will lead to rebound weight gain and frustration.
  • pkbryant28
    pkbryant28 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I used them twice in the past, both times I lost weight and both times I gained it all back. I didn't feel jittery like some do, but I would grind my teeth/tense my jaws 24/7 while I was on them. IMO they are not worth it, yes you will lose weight but at what cost, they are nothing but legal speed.
  • tapirfrog
    tapirfrog Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    Side effects (turned me into a zombie for 12 hours, then a headache for the next 12) were so bad that I stopped after one pill. I figured I could be fat, hungry, or a headachy zombie. I picked hungry. Down 13 pounds from that day. Yeah, being hungry sucks, but at least I can drive without running over the curb.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I took phentermine for fatigue a couple of years ago. I was miserable on it and had to discontinue quickly. It made me totally compulsive, I could not relax or sit still even when I was so exhausted that all I wanted was to sit down on the sofa. I had to force myself to eat. I had this raw exposed nerve ending feeling, hated to be touched, etc. I can't remember how much weight I lost on it because that wasn't really the point of taking it, but I would never take it again.
  • Imani9629
    Imani9629 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Phentermine is probably the best weight loss drug out there. This literally is a miracle pill. My aunt used phentermine for 3 months and lost 30 pounds, She actually had to take herself off of it because she was getting TOO skinny lol. My mom only used half a dose and lost 20 pounds in 2 months. I just got a prescription for it yesterday and took my first dose today and I can honestly say I've never felt better. I have so much energy and I'm not hungry at all. I actually forget to eat at times. I'm usually very lethargic and fatigued but I feel like a million bucks. I haven't had this much energy since I was 5 lol. Some people may have adverse side effects but me and my family have had nothing but great experiences with it..
  • Candi_land
    Candi_land Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    I've used it in the past.

It was like cocaine in pill form for me and at first I loved the high it gave me/plus the lack of appetite. I lost about 70lbs very quickly (less than 6 months) because I didn't eat anything, developed insomnia, aggravated my depression/anxiety, and had serious up and down mood swings. Everything bothered me. The side effects aren't worth it, plus once I stopped taking the pills I gained back the 70lbs plus an extra 30.
  • Pitgrrrl
    Pitgrrrl Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I used it off and on for years. It works great when I use it, but I don't want a quick chemical fix anymore. I want to make lifestyle changes that I will stick to. It also made me an insomniac.
  • eringraczyk
    eringraczyk Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Unlike the other posters, I have had great success with phentermine and have kept most of the weight off. I was started on it about 7 years ago after exercising, mainly with weights, for 6 months without any weight loss, change in body measurements, or change in how my clothes fit. Coupled with much better portion control and exercise, I lost around 90 pounds over the course of about 18 months. I didn't take the medication the whole time. I took it for 6 months, I think, then off for 3, on for another 3, etc. At one point, I had gained about 25 pounds back, so I was still down quite a ways from where I started, but obviously, I was less than happy to have slipped off the wagon.

At the beginning of the year, I started exercising 4-6 days a week, and I was eating between 1300 and 1600 calories a day of nutritious food. I'm a self-admitted soda addict--a junkie for caffeinated, carbonated goodness that comes from a fountain at a gas station--and I have all but cut out soda this time around. Once again, I couldn't budge the scale, and my clothes weren't fitting any differently, so I saw my doctor, who put me back on phentermine. I've been taking it since the beginning of March and have lost just under 10 pounds, so now I'm "only" up 15 pounds from my lowest point. It's not coming off nearly as quickly as the first time, but I am finally on the downward trend again.

Again, unlike many of the others, I feel fantastic on it! I'm not at all jittery and haven't had headaches like some have mentioned. I can focus better, I feel calmer, and I sleep better than I have in years. None of that makes any sense to me since phentermine is a stimulant, but I don't knock it! Obviously medications affect every one differently and you have to do what works best for you, but the phentermine, along with lifestyle changes, including a better, more nutritious diet with portion control (my biggest problem in the past) and exercise, has worked very well for me over the long term.
  • amandaanderson2786
    amandaanderson2786 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    :noway:
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    It's a freaking DRUG. It's like methamphetamine. Crack cocaine also make you lose weight. geez people, wake up.
  • bogle34
    bogle34 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I used it and liked how it would curb my appetite and increase my water intake. I dislike it cuz of the insomnia. Now I take sleeping pills and spoke to the nurse and so here I go again in this journey. I have gained weight and eat more cuz of my sleeping pills. Now the nurse says with the phentermine it should help jump start my loss and I can continue to take my sleeping pills at nite. I also started advocare and shakeology....ya u can say am I desperate - ya call it whatever it is, tired of being over weight! :sad:
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    I used it and liked how it would curb my appetite and increase my water intake. I dislike it cuz of the insomnia. Now I take sleeping pills and spoke to the nurse and so here I go again in this journey. I have gained weight and eat more cuz of my sleeping pills. Now the nurse says with the phentermine it should help jump start my loss and I can continue to take my sleeping pills at nite. I also started advocare and shakeology....ya u can say am I desperate - ya call it whatever it is, tired of being over weight! :sad:

So you take drug #1 to curb your appetite, but it gives you insomnia. Then, you take drug #2 to help you sleep but it makes you hungry. Can you see what's wrong in this picture? Ditch the drugs!!!!!
  • erica6732
    erica6732 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    thanks all for your replies - I really appreciate them