Exercise and fatigue

Basically over the past few months I have started training; I do strength training, yoga and cardio and have built up to exercise 6 times a week for 1 to 1 and a half hours a day. I have just started a running programme too.

I am fuelling my body and eating enough calories, I have a rest day and do plenty of stretching and yet feel so fatigued to the point by the end of the day I am struggling to get up the stairs.

I know muscles breakdown and repair to become stronger and rest days are important, however most people at my gym, including personal trainers say they work through the pain of sore muscles and only rest once a week, so I took their advice and yet I am struggling by day 3 (not with my workoust but with getting through a day at work and uni). I am not unfit but I not fit either.

I find exercising when muscles are sore actually makes my muscles feel less sore (for a few hours after), so I do this in a morning so I can actually move at work and uni.

Am I doing more damage than good? Do I need an extra rest day? Does anyone else just go through the pain?

Replies

• musicmint
    musicmint Posts: 469
    maybe because you aren't getting enough proteins..when I feel tired it is usually because I am not eating enough food or lack of proteins OR water
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    1) are you getting enough sleep?
    2) are you sure you're getting enough cals?
    ..... 2b) if so, are they the right cals?
  • Lola87xx
    Lola87xx Posts: 11
    That actually does make sense about not enough protein, thank you. I noticed in my food diary on MFP (on the daily pie chart part) that I wasn't getting as much protein as I should.

I struggling on how to go about fitting more in as I haven't got a huge taste for meats of any kind inc fish and poultry, I eat them because of the protein, however apart from quinoa and seeds that I have already, I don't know what else I could have.

Any guidance on what I could have would be appreciated. For info I am female, very small frame and short so don't need a great amount. :)

Not too bothered about losing weight (a stone would be a nice by-product) but I just want to be healthy and fit.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Generally even people that train a lot every day take a down week every three or four weeks for recovery. Try reducing your overall volume by around 30 to 50% for a week and keep the efforts easy. If that doesn't work you may need to do it for another week.

Continuing to train in an exhausted state will do you no good.
  • TAMayorga
    TAMayorga Posts: 341 Member
    That actually does make sense about not enough protein, thank you. I noticed in my food diary on MFP (on the daily pie chart part) that I wasn't getting as much protein as I should.

I struggling on how to go about fitting more in as I haven't got a huge taste for meats of any kind inc fish and poultry, I eat them because of the protein, however apart from quinoa and seeds that I have already, I don't know what else I could have.

Also, if you are not a fan of red meat, you should make sure you're getting enough iron in your diet.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member

Any guidance on what I could have would be appreciated. For info I am female, very small frame and short so don't need a great amount. :)

Not too bothered about losing weight (a stone would be a nice by-product) but I just want to be healthy and fit.

If you aren't meeting MFP's suggestions, you definitely are not getting enough protein! If you are lifting weights, you should probably be eating about half as much again as much protein as MFP recommends.
  • Lola87xx
    Yeah, I have to take 3x250mg of iron a day due to an autoimmune problem with my blood/bone marrow.
    However may have to start eating a bit of red meat once a week just to get all the proper nutrients from it.
  • Lola87xx
    Has anyone got any suggestions of how I could add more protein into my diet without eating meat at every meal?

I have protein in meats (inc chicken and fish), eggs, seeds and beans at the moment, is there anything else I could add to my diet?
  • jacksonpt
    protein powder
  • riboui
    riboui Posts: 8
    Over training is common and counter productive. Few people can train hard six days a week. Especially if they work, study or do anything else other than train.

In my experience, younger (35 and under) do best with five training days per week maximum, 36-50 four days per week, and 51+ 3 to four days per week. I'm assuming at least 1 hour of hard exercise each day.

Listen to your body. If it's telling you it's tired, then cut back. That's way preferable to getting sick, injured, or quitting your exercise program.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Has anyone got any suggestions of how I could add more protein into my diet without eating meat at every meal?

I have protein in meats (inc chicken and fish), eggs, seeds and beans at the moment, is there anything else I could add to my diet?

Nuts, cheese, edamame
  • Lola87xx
    The one thing I have noticed about proteins is the fat content. Now I know about amino acids and that they are our building blocks and our body can only synthesis a few amino acids so we have to eat the rest for food sources, however too much fat is still too much fat good or bad right?

Anybody know how to work a high protein diet without the high fat content? Protein shakes, are they any good? The ones I have seen are full of artificial extras. Anybody know of any good ones?

Sorry for all the questions, but if you don't ask you wont know.

I think I'll take your advice and take my training down to five days a weeks and see how I get on. My problem is if I do something I tend do give it my all. I have a go big or go home attitude towards anything I do and it has it's downside when it makes you tired out.
  • jacksonpt
    The one thing I have noticed about proteins is the fat content. Now I know about amino acids and that they are our building blocks and our body can only synthesis a few amino acids so we have to eat the rest for food sources, however too much fat is still too much fat good or bad right?

Anybody know how to work a high protein diet without the high fat content? Protein shakes, are they any good? The ones I have seen are full of artificial extras. Anybody know of any good ones?

I think I'll take your advice and take my training down to five days a weeks and see how I get on. My problem is if I do something I tend do give it my all. I have a go big or go home attitude towards anything I do and it has it's downside when it makes you tired out.

Protein powder doesn't have fat it in. Well, maybe a few grams, but it's basically protein. Meal replacements, mass gainers, etc will often have stuff in them besides protein, but a good whey powder should be basically just protein.
  • kganc001
    kganc001 Posts: 317

Grab a protein shake! I mix vanilla powder with NSA Nesquick powder, and 2 cups of light soy milk. Yum! :) And it helps get my protein. My fatigue levels are much lower since I started drinking a shake after my workouts.
  • Lola87xx
    That's great. thank you.
    I'll go and have a look tomorrow morning. Whey protein right? Any suggestions of make/brands or is whey protein just whey protein regardless of brand? If you get my meaning.
  • Lysander666
    Lysander666 Posts: 275 Member

Eat lean protein. Chicken breast, turkey breast and tuna.
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Id never suggest that much training to anyone. I would say, yes, its counterproductive. Devise a goal and train for it. You cant get muscular definition and become a marathoner simultaneously. Anyone who says you can is a quack.

Id suggest intense weight training 3 times a week with light cardio or yoga on off days... I wouldnt combine distance running with intense weight training.

You know how they say "listen to your body?", well, you know what its saying. Protein isnt gonna fix it. A calorie surplus might, but, then youd be gaining weight.

IMO you're running yourself into a wall and you're on the road to getting injured.

Good luck.
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Basically over the past few months I have started training; I do strength training, yoga and cardio and have built up to exercise 6 times a week for 1 to 1 and a half hours a day. I have just started a running programme too.

I am fuelling my body and eating enough calories, I have a rest day and do plenty of stretching and yet feel so fatigued to the point by the end of the day I am struggling to get up the stairs.

I know muscles breakdown and repair to become stronger and rest days are important, however most people at my gym, including personal trainers say they work through the pain of sore muscles and only rest once a week, so I took their advice and yet I am struggling by day 3 (not with my workoust but with getting through a day at work and uni). I am not unfit but I not fit either.

I find exercising when muscles are sore actually makes my muscles feel less sore (for a few hours after), so I do this in a morning so I can actually move at work and uni.

Am I doing more damage than good? Do I need an extra rest day? Does anyone else just go through the pain?

You can undo your progress without enough rest. My program suggests working hard 3 days and resting 4 each week. ALso, one full week off (of strenuous exercise) about every 6 weeks so your muscles have time to fully repair (this is where the magic happens). Just my 2 cents. if you feel like you need to do something that much, then walk on your rest days or hike...
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Id never suggest that much training to anyone. I would say, yes, its counterproductive. Devise a goal and train for it. You cant get muscular definition and become a marathoner simultaneously. Anyone who says you can is a quack.

Id suggest intense weight training 3 times a week with light cardio or yoga on off days... I wouldnt combine distance running with intense weight training.

You know how they say "listen to your body?", well, you know what its saying. Protein isnt gonna fix it. A calorie surplus might, but, then youd be gaining weight.

IMO you're running yourself into a wall and you're on the road to getting injured.

Good luck.
    This...best advise on this thread - you can't "go all the way all the time" - you will do more harm than good....
  • Lola87xx
    Thank you so much everyone for your advice. I will be taking it on board and revising my fitness plan as well as looking into protein a bit more.

I love running (especially living in the peak district with all the amazing countryside), but don't want to look scrawny and I am only little; I want to look like a women not a little girl, because of this I love how working with weights shapes my body. I just want it all. Haha (Don't we all)

Seriously though thank you for your advice, I will be cutting down and start listen to my body and not to 6ft muscle men at the gym.