Meals for six?

So using MFP before i managed to lose over a stone (which regrettably since stopping I've gained right back). Now I'm back home with my family for a while, they want me to apply the healthy food to their diet food, so guess who's on cooking and shopping for the next few weeks!

So as I'm now cooking six rather than one, I thought it might be a good time to try some new things or explore new variations of some classic recipes.

Can anybody recommend some dishes / recipes to feed the masses without the big calories?

Replies

• Pearlyladybug
    Pearlyladybug Posts: 882 Member
    i suggest getting yourself a crockpot if you don't already have one! prefect for bulk cooking
  • AmykinsCatfood
    AmykinsCatfood Posts: 599 Member
    i suggest getting yourself a crockpot if you don't already have one! prefect for bulk cooking

I agree, I love my crockpot! You could do just about anything in them that would feed 6 people. You could do a whole-wheat pasta "bake" with turkey sausages and tomato sauce, if you have a big enough pot you can roast a couple of whole chickens with potatoes and carrots, chicken and brown fried rice with celery and peppers, there's so many!
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    http://rivernorthpaleo.blogspot.com/2012/03/creamy-crockpot-chicken-and-tomato-soup.html

This is a great crock pot recipe that is healthy and relatively inexpensive. I make it with additional chicken broth instead of the coconut milk just because I am not sure how that would taste with all of the tomatoes! That said, cutting out the coconut milk cuts out some calories and fat from it as well!
  • AlyssaJoJo
    AlyssaJoJo Posts: 449 Member
    For breakfast I normally make:

3 cups of egg whites
    1 container of mushrooms chopped up
    2 cups of spinach, chopped up
    one onion chopped up
    3 cloves of garlic
    1/2 cup of white cheese of choice
    1 tbsp of olive oil

Sautee mushrooms, spinach, onion, garlic and olive oil in skillet. When done add egg whites and cheese and mix well. Cook at 375 until done and then broil until golden brown on top. I cut this into eight parts which is about 190 calories but it could easily be done in 6. Low calorie and high protein for a breakfast meal!
  • AlyssaJoJo
    For breakfast I normally make:

3 cups of egg whites
    1 container of mushrooms chopped up
    2 cups of spinach, chopped up
    one onion chopped up
    3 cloves of garlic
    1/2 cup of white cheese of choice
    1 tbsp of olive oil

Sautee mushrooms, spinach, onion, garlic and olive oil in skillet. When done add egg whites and cheese and mix well. Cook at 375 until done and then broil until golden brown on top. I cut this into eight parts which is about 190 calories but it could easily be done in 6. Low calorie and high protein for a breakfast meal!

Also could be made with regular eggs.
  • tptouchdown
    tptouchdown Posts: 30 Member
    Believe it or not, I think you are lucky. Your family is supporting your healthy eating habits by participating. Image if they kept on eating unhealthy food, that would be really hard. Maybe this isn't the right answer for you (i do like the crockpot idea) but there are 5 other people, get them to share the duty.. Even if you plan the meals!
  • AlyssaJoJo
    One that I make in the crockpot is what I call Fiesta Chicken... it's

3 cups of salsa
    3 to 4 decently sized chicken breast
    15.5 oz can of black beans
    10 oz frozen corn
    1.5 cups of mozzerella
    2 oucnes of pepper jack cheese
    8 oucnes of sour cream

Pour salsa into crock pot with chicken and cook until chicken is done. Add the rest of the ingredients and cook until you want to. Made about 8 cups worth, was about 277 calories. Can easily be played around with to make less calories.
  • atsteele
    atsteele Posts: 1,358 Member
    I cook for 7 (2 adults, 5 kids... all big eaters). My meal plan goes something like this: burgers (You have to be careful with burgers because not all are created equal. However, grilling them does get rid of a large amount of the fat content.) and hot dogs on Sunday, chicken and pasta on Monday, tacos (I use 90/10 beef with low fat cheese.) on Tuesday, pasta with meatballs or ziti (again 90/10 beef) on Wednesday, pork chops (center cut) or leftovers on Thursday, homemade mac-n-cheese (low fat cheeses) on Fridays, and eggs/egg whites for breakfast and pizza (frozen... also be careful of fat content... not all created equal) or smoothies for lunch on the weekends. Repeat.