Weights & Half Marathon Training

Options
Hi all,

For last 12 months or so I've been focussed pretty much on weight training and have been really enjoying it, with an odd 4ish mile run thrown in whenever the fancy took me (i.e. not often!!).
However I've said that I will support my sister in law to complete a half marathon later this year (I did one myself back in 2013), however, I want to continue weight training but will obviously have to up my runs to get back in a position where I can run 13.1 miles!
I'm hoping to run twice a week and lift twice a week - I'm okay with the running but can anyone recommend a sensible 2 day split for my weight training - I've been doing 3-4 days a week so I'm struggling to see how I'll fit it in!
Would you advise going easy on legs during as my running gets more intense?
Also are there any specific lifts I can use to improve my runs?

Thanks all - any advice would be appreciated.
;-)

Replies

• FitFitzy331
    FitFitzy331 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm in a similar boat actually. I love lifting and decided to train for a half in April. I'm doing a 3 days lifting plan with 3 days of running. My lifts are 3 sets of 8-12 reps. Sunday-chest, monday -run, tues-back, wed-run, thurs-leg, friday-rest, saturday-run. It's been a couple weeks and so far it's working out. I'm not expecting to make much progress on my lifts, just to continue working/training my muscles while adding running. I'm not going for a specific time on my half marathon either. If you're only looking to run two days and lift two days, I'm guessing that an upper/lower split routine would be best for you. Higher reps on the weights and not to failure. Rest the day after your leg day and after your long run day.

Squats, deadlifts, hip thrusts should assist with your runs. Good luck! Feel free to friend me if you like
  • eventerchick80
    eventerchick80 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Bump.
  • penfold282
    penfold282 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • PowerfulHunt
    PowerfulHunt Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I don' t have any strong recommendations as I'm still trying to figure it out myself. I also run two days a week & lift another two days a week. I believe the increase in lifting has been decreasing my running times : I've run three half-marathons and each time I've gotten a little slower (2:21, 2:24, 2:35). I would like to find a balance in how to excel at both, if possible.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Lots of variables here, so ultimately you'll have to try some things and decide for yourself.

Personally, when my cardio training is ramped up, I have to cut back on lower body lifting as I just don't recover fast enough from either heavy lifting OR hard runs/rides.

2 days running and 2 days lifting should be a great starting point. Throw in some active recovery on your off days to stay ahead of things and I'd think you'd be good to go.

• douglas49461
    douglas49461 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I would do a type of alternating plan

upper body
    heavy bench press 3-5 rep range for 3 sets
    heavy bent over dumbell rows 3-5 for 3 sets
    incline press 3 sets 10ish reps
    seated pull 3 sets 10-20 reps
    dips as many as you can do

lower body
    squats 3 sets of about 10 for maintenance due to the running
    other lower body exercises for the same too much though will affect your running

upper body second week
    heavy overhead press 3-5 rep range for 3 sets
    weighted pullups 3 sets of 5ish
    incline bench press 3 sets of 10ish
    seated pull 3 sets of 10-20 reps
    pushups and pulldowns as needed

lower body second week
    deadlift heavy either work up to a single or sets of 5 for 3 reps ish
    leg press 3 sets of 10ish reps
    other lower body exercises as needed.

switch back to week one.

Your going to have a hard time improving your lifts just twice a week but its possible. Hard to say what exactly you should do as everyone is different just a suggestion.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    There is no problem in using a two-day split and you can absolutely continue to improve strength with it as long as you work hard and eat right. A two-day split is going to be best when training for a marathon because your goal is really the marathon or 1/2 marathon and the strength is now secondary or just a means of supporting marathon performance. If you follow StrongLifts then your week just becomes A, B then A, B, A, B. Or... you can do something like...

Day 1
    a. Squat @ 5 sets of 5 or 5 sets of 3 @ 80% - 85% of your Training Max and progress the weight 10lbs every 3 to 4 weeks
    **Do Resistance Band Pull-Aparts between sets, shoot for 50 reps
    b. Bench @ Same as above
    c. DB or BB Rows OR Lat Pulldowns or Pull-ups 3 to 5 sets of 8-12 reps
    d. Light Core Work: This isn't for 6-pack abs but rather for overall neuro-muscular control, stability, and injury prevention. *By "light" I mean 1 to 2 exercises for 1 to 3 sets. The "Superman" exercise is similar to a plank in that it is a static hold and is great for runners because it helps to improve running posture, this should be at least one of your 2 exercises. Shoot for a 30-sec hold and increase from there.

Day 2: Depending on if you like to Deadlift or not, you don't HAVE to DL despite what 90% of MFP will tell you.
    a. DL @ 5 x 3 (only 3 reps) @ 80% - 85% of your TM *same progression*
    **Do Resistance Band Pull-Aparts between sets, shoot for 50 reps
    b. Shoulder Press @ 5x5 or 5 x 3 @ 80% - 85% of TM
    c. DB or BB Rows OR Lat Pulldowns or Pull-ups 3 to 5 sets of 8-12 reps
    d. Light Core work

This is just an example but keep your training simple. I like the concept of the Training Max that Zatsiorski and Wendler introduce because it's a way to manage your training, so start with 90% to 85% of your 1-rep max to start with. Your TM has little to do with your absolute strength, so don't worry about starting a little light. I can tell you that my Squat 1-rep best is 55lbs greater than my TM and my Press 1-rep best is about 40lbs - 45lbs greater than my TM, so you can see how there is little correlation between the two.

• lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    I'm following Hal Higdon's intermediate half program (http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51132/Half-Marathon-Intermediate-Training-Program)

I lift Mondays & Thursdays. I'm running ICF 5x5 and I'm just going slower on increasing the lower body weights so I can complete my runs. It's been working out pretty well, though not making much progress on my squats is kind of depressing lol
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    603reader wrote: »
    I'm following Hal Higdon's intermediate half program (http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51132/Half-Marathon-Intermediate-Training-Program)

I lift Mondays & Thursdays. I'm running ICF 5x5 and I'm just going slower on increasing the lower body weights so I can complete my runs. It's been working out pretty well, though not making much progress on my squats is kind of depressing lol

That reminds me of something I forgot. You dont need to taper your training at first but definitely a few weeks out you'll want to reduce the load and about 2 weeks out I'd say to hell with strength training other than mobility work.
  • Roxiegirl2008
    Roxiegirl2008 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I do cross fit, HIIT or TRX training twice a week and body pump once a week and spin class with my runs added in through out the week. I am running my first marathon in three weeks. I have run 1/2s before but this is my first full and I will say that with my weight lifting I seem to recover faster from my long runs. I know everyone is different but I have noticed I feel much stronger. I hate to say but I am one of those mindless people that just have my trainer tell me what to do. HA She has been really great at mixing it up so I can get stronger hamstrings, legs and core.

Good luck!
  • luce3003
    luce3003 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Brilliant, thanks for the suggestions all!
    I have a good while to go yet so can try some different combos to see what works out before commiting to a plan! I'm not too concerned with a particular time etc for the 1/2 I just want to be able to make it round to give my sis in law some moral support (although she will probably whip me anyway, I'm defo more of a plodder than an actual 'runner' :blush: !!!) but not go back to square 1 with my lifts.
    Good luck to everyone else with thier runs too!! xxx