Nausea after exercise??

Options
cmsincla
cmsincla Posts: 41 Member
edited January 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
My husband just did Week 2 of Jillian Michaels - Ripped in 30. He said he now feels so sick to his stomach that he had to lay down next to the toilet because he was sure he'd be sick. Is there a reason that exercise would make him feel so awful? Over-exertion? Empty stomach?

Any suggestions to hopefully eliminate these sick feelings going forward would be great!

Replies

• martyqueen52
    martyqueen52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Maybe him having an empty stomach did the trick. Some people don't respond well to training fasted (training on an empty stomach).

Tell him to eat a meal 1-2 hours before hand, or at his own comfort level before training. If the problem persists, it's obviously not that.

Or maybe he's not use to working out?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    More than likely overexertion.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • cmsincla
    Options
    I'm sure it was a mix of the two. He is used to lifting weights but not so much to the cardio that's in the DVDs. His stomach was pretty much empty except for the cup of coffee he had an hour beforehand. Thanks for the help!
  • Follow_me
    Follow_me Posts: 6,120 Member
    Options
    I feel nauseous and dizzy if I don't eat and drink water an hour prior to working out.
  • miketoryan
    miketoryan Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Could be a mix of things. He could be suffering from electrolyte depletion. Or over exertion. Our a stomach virus. Our a lot of things. Make sure he stays hydrated and doesn't overdo it and maybe go get a physical done
  • bsmock88
    bsmock88 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Hello! I have the same issue actually. As others have said, it's an empty stomach and how hard he's working. I am a larger guy and if I try to do anything too insane without something giving me fuel, I will feel like I'm about to pass out and have even gotten shakey before. I don't know if its low blood sugar or something even though I'm not diabetic, but something will make me crash. I haven't had it in a long time though so have him try to eat a few grapes or something small before working out that hard, and water during of course!
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    More than likely overexertion.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

I would guess this too.

• jpaulie
    jpaulie Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    need to eat properly for a workout and especially make sure you have your electrolytes. If your electrolytes are low and they will be then you will crash. Take an electrolyte supplement drink during workout
  • BSmiffy
    BSmiffy Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I used to get terrible stomach cramps after a heavy workout and would shake and feel awful. I finally worked it out, lack of water. So I made sure i always drank plenty of water before going to the gym and I never had the problem again.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem due to hypoglycemia. After finishing a workout I take glucose tablets (or eat some sugary candy) or else I feel like I'm going to puke everywhere. He could also try eating an hour beforehand.
  • cmsincla
    Options
    :) Thanks for your help!!! I will tell him to eat something small an hour or so beforehand and drink water before, during, and after he exercises. Hopefully that'll do the trick. Otherwise he's going to have to go to the doctor. I know a year or so ago they said he has borderline high blood pressure. Not enough to need medication, but still.
  • csuhar
    csuhar Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    How long after exercise was it, and how long did it last?

Like others have said, it sounds like overexertion. Personally, I find it'll happen to me more often after something where you're constantly moving, like various forms of cardio, as opposed to weight training where (for me) there are rests between sets.

Is it possible having just coffee in his stomach contributed? I love the stuff, but having only coffee in my stomach does make it feel off from time to time.
  • jpaulie
    jpaulie Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    if you are doing rigorous cardio consider supplement for electrolytes (not sports drinks)
    http://paleoedge.com/best-and-worst-electrolyte-drinks/