Email from the Company Gym

Options
SueInAz
SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
edited January 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
This was in my email inbox this morning along with about 50 other emails that have been waiting for me since I was last at work on Dec. 19th. While I know that my employer's wellness programs are very good, I have to admit, I was still pleasantly surprised by the advice here:

Everybody is searching for the magical missing link that will shift weight loss into overdrive. Pedaling backwards on the elliptical, crazy supplements that nearly send you into cardiac arrest, eating five grapefruits per day, drinking gallons of lemon water, etc. These so-called weight loss “secrets” never deliver the results that they tout.

The keys to losing weight (and keeping it off) aren’t glamorous or exciting. Regardless of what that 2:00 am infomercial tells you, there are no magic beans, or nifty workout gizmos. The truth is actually rather simple. The foundation of weight loss is comprised of four areas that must be nailed the overwhelming majority of the time:
  • Nutrition
  • Movement
  • Sleep
  • Stress control

Nutrition

Assuming that your metabolism is functioning the way it should be, and that you don’t have any health problems that you are dealing with, you will need to be in a caloric deficit in order to lose weight. You should be eating plenty of protein, heaps of vegetables, and then filling in the gaps with dietary fat and fruit. Eat whole, nutrient dense foods most of the time. Indulge sometimes. Make one small nutrition change at a time, monitor the results, and tweak things as needed. The golden rule is to do whatever works for your body and lifestyle. The right way is always whatever is best for you.

Movement

Everybody needs to move their body in some way on a daily basis. This could be in the form of traditional exercise at [the company gym], a game of basketball, an outdoor circuit, or good old fashioned walking. Whatever it is, move your body. Expend some energy. Get your heart rate up a little. Workout hard and get your sweat on a few times a week, and walk on all other days for at least 20 – 30 minutes. The benefits of walking are vast, ranging from basic energy expenditure to reducing cortisol, enhancing recovery, and reducing stress levels, just to name a few.

Sleep

Look, we are all busy. Between job(s), kids, their after-school activities, the gym, your own schoolwork, cooking dinner etc... it’s all many people can do to melt into the couch at 10 pm for a little television to unwind each night. Nothing will fire up cravings for carbohydrates and sugar, and hinder your gym performance and recovery, quite like a chronic sleep deficit. A consistent lack of shut-eye is a progress killer, plain and simple. Make it a priority to focus on getting more high quality sleep.

Decrease Chronic Stress

Of all the things we have discussed so far, this is admittedly the toughest for many of us. Some stress is not only good, but necessary. However, it’s the constant mind-racing, nerve-frazzling, heart-palpitation-having kind of stress that is problematic. Since it’s unlikely that you can eliminate all of the triggers from your life completely, the best thing we can do is slow our roll a bit, and do a few simple things each day that can center us and bring us some peace. Develop a mantra, which is something you will silently say to yourself over and over again. Another idea is to count your breath cycles. Each inhale and exhale is one breath cycle. Mediation doesn’t have to be sitting cross-legged, with your fingers in a mantra. Just get comfortable, close your eyes, and breathe. You’ll be amazed at what just 5 – 10 minutes per day can do for you.

Slow and steady is admittedly boring, but it is the approach that provides sustainable results.
Stay consistent with the four items mentioned above, and be patient. Find ways to enjoy the process!

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    LOVE the nutrition part! Thanks for sharing.
  • jackie26us
    jackie26us Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    All very good advice. Stress plays a huge role in your body.
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    What part of the advice surprised you?
  • JoanaMHill
    JoanaMHill Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Branstin wrote: »

I think it's just that we're all so used to hearing people saying "YOU CAN'T EAT CARBS" or "TAKE THIS PILL IT WILL MELT THE FAT OFF" that someone actually saying "Eat what works for you as long as it's at a deficit" is kind of mind-blowing.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    I love that they addressed sleep here. It really is so important.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    That's good advice
  • Branstin
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    I think it might have been the fact that that advice came at all and it wasn't some stop eating after 7 pm or jump start your metabolism with breakfast nonsense.

Oh, ok, got it!
  • Branstin
    Options
    JoanaMHill wrote: »

I think it's just that we're all so used to hearing people saying "YOU CAN'T EAT CARBS" or "TAKE THIS PILL IT WILL MELT THE FAT OFF" that someone actually saying "Eat what works for you as long as it's at a deficit" is kind of mind-blowing.

Yes, it is good to read facts instead of nonsense for a change.
  • katherine_startrek_fan
    Options
    Bump!
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    That's pretty solid and I've had personal experience in dealing with all of those in terms of affecting weight loss. There's a "push yourself" mantra that is common within the weight loss and fitness circles. While I'm all for pushing yourself to get better. There is a point that you reach diminishing returns. During those times, sleeping in and doing less, is actually more.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    wow- that's unexpectedly awesome! great company!
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options

I think it might have been the fact that that advice came at all and it wasn't some stop eating after 7 pm or jump start your metabolism with breakfast nonsense.

Exactly! Especially when it's coming from a company-run gym.