Hello! Any FitBit users? Have a question about calorie calculation.

Options
I started using a FitBit but the calories it calculated for my recommended day are a lot higher than what MFP calculated given the same information about my weight and goals. Does anyone know why there's such a discrepancy? For example, MFP has me at 1200 calories per day and FitBit calculated daily calories at 1500. So obviously I don't want to eat an extra 300 calories if I shouldn't be. But I don't want to be under eating either. Thoughts?

Replies

• SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Make sure that the Fitbit setting for weight loss matches what you have set for MFP. I really don't use the Fitbit site for my calorie totals; I ignore it. I enter all of my food into MFP and just let Fitbit calculate my calorie output for the day based on my activity level that day.
  • littleredhairedgirl
    Options
    OK, thanks. That's what I have been doing. :-)
  • Adc7225
    Adc7225 Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    I suggest ignoring the Fitbit calorie calculations - you have to remember Fitbit is calculating every step that we take so while we are not really exercising Fitbit is counting it that way. On my app I just removed it so I don't see it.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    They are two different plans. You won't be undereating at 1200 or 1500, most likely (especially since MFP's 1200 expects you to eat more for exercise). You will lose weight faster the lower you go, of course. It's up to you. There is not one "right" calorie intake for weight loss. :)