New Rules of Lifting for Women

Options

Replies

• sheepotato
    sheepotato Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    I read it a while back, I found it had a lot of helpful information. Even if you choose to do a different program like Stronglifts, Strong Curves or whatever it's still worth a read if you are new to lifting.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Worth reading. Personally I do SL 5 x5.
  • aedaniels89
    aedaniels89 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks jemhh!!!! I will check into all those programs and keep them in mind when/if I want to change things up! :smile:
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    sheepotato wrote: »
    I read it a while back, I found it had a lot of helpful information. Even if you choose to do a different program like Stronglifts, Strong Curves or whatever it's still worth a read if you are new to lifting.

agreed. I read it and started 5/3/1 instead of following their program.

• kbkeats
    kbkeats Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I got dumbells for Christmas and have been using them every day. Working on the back and arm area primarily, but am excited to expand my workouts!
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    I'm finishing up Stage 1 right now. I'm working out at home and so am doing a fair number of adaptations, but so far I like the general layout, especially because it takes me only half an hour to complete.

I also notice that, at least in stage 1, the two workouts seem to be split Anterior Chain/Posterior Chain instead of Upper/Lower body, which makes more intuitive sense to me because Compound lifts don't break up their action at the waist!

Not sure if future stages will be more complicated, etc, but at this point I feel like I would get a lot out of repeating Stage 1 for a good long time, simply increasing weight or reducing adaptations (I do pushups on the 3rd or 4th tread of the stairs now, lowering the incline as I get stronger will keep that one tough)

What weight did you all start on for Squats and Deadlifts? I thought I had chosen a good weight based on feeling some strain on the 8th rep and really pushing for 15, but when I see what other people are lifting I feel like I might be too low. I've always been a wee weakling, so that might be it, but I'm hoping I'm not under-challenging myself. (I started with 30 pounds for both, now on 50. I keep seeing these women doing 200 pound DLs, and I feel like an idiot!)
  • 52cardpickup
    52cardpickup Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I love it. I asked anyone who would listen to me for a barbell and bench for Christmas (and got them), and my husband is building me a squat rack in the basement so I can increase the weight of my squats. I've seen a ton of progress in myself, and the book was phenomenal. There's a New Rules of Lifting for Women group here on MFP that's quite active, too!

@EWJLang Don't worry about how much you're lifting or starting off with! Just keep adding weight and you'll get there!
  • cindym29
    cindym29 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I just got the book and it's been hard to put down! I have been traveling a lot lately, but once I'm done I plan on starting the journey!
  • lili61
    lili61 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Do it! It completely changed my body. Below pic: Before is after losing 20 pounds with mostly cardio and bodyweight exercises. After is after completing NROLFW and only 6-7 pounds lighter! I ate at a slight deficit and lifted 3x/week most weeks.

qg3r3mfs4sdi.jpg
  • leooftheyear
    leooftheyear Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    kclay1021 wrote: »
    I've never even heard of this - is this just a book for woman just starting to lift weights? I started lifting in july but would probably benefit from a book on the basics!!!

I actually started out with Stronglifts 5x5 then just recently switched to NROLFW to change things up, NROLFW is only for women but they have other programs too.
  • leooftheyear
    Options
    Hoping to get the book and start in the next month or two. I have been doing Stronglifts for a year now, and although I am enjoying it I feel like I need a change.

that's exaclty where i started and the reason i switched
  • leooftheyear
    Options
    EWJLang wrote: »
    I'm finishing up Stage 1 right now. I'm working out at home and so am doing a fair number of adaptations, but so far I like the general layout, especially because it takes me only half an hour to complete.

I also notice that, at least in stage 1, the two workouts seem to be split Anterior Chain/Posterior Chain instead of Upper/Lower body, which makes more intuitive sense to me because Compound lifts don't break up their action at the waist!

Not sure if future stages will be more complicated, etc, but at this point I feel like I would get a lot out of repeating Stage 1 for a good long time, simply increasing weight or reducing adaptations (I do pushups on the 3rd or 4th tread of the stairs now, lowering the incline as I get stronger will keep that one tough)

What weight did you all start on for Squats and Deadlifts? I thought I had chosen a good weight based on feeling some strain on the 8th rep and really pushing for 15, but when I see what other people are lifting I feel like I might be too low. I've always been a wee weakling, so that might be it, but I'm hoping I'm not under-challenging myself. (I started with 30 pounds for both, now on 50. I keep seeing these women doing 200 pound DLs, and I feel like an idiot!)

I started at 55lbs, but that was because i had just stopped stronglifts 5x5, when i first started stronglifts 5x5 i was just using the 45lb bar and worked up from there. the one thing that i did pick up from stronglifts is even just adding 5lbs/workout can make a huge difference over time versus trying to add more than you can handle or not adding more because you think you cannot do it.... just try adding 5lbs/workout you can always take the 5lbs off for the second set if necessary.
  • sheepotato
    sheepotato Posts: 600 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I've never even heard of this - is this just a book for woman just starting to lift weights? I started lifting in july but would probably benefit from a book on the basics!!!

I actually started out with Stronglifts 5x5 then just recently switched to NROLFW to change things up, NROLFW is only for women but they have other programs too.

There are 4 other similar books by some of the same authors. 'The New Rules of Lifting' is helpful for men and women (but NROLFW is specifically targeted at women.) There is also 'The New Rules of Lifting for Life,' 'The New Rules of Lifting for Abs' and 'The New Rules of Lifting Supercharged.'

I only have a copy of the first two, I don't know how useful the other three are. They might be good for someone who enjoys the routine and wants something new.
  • sklarbodds
    sklarbodds Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    yoovie wrote: »
    CHANGED MY GOSH DARN LIFE AND A HALF.
    Seriously listen to this woman :) She knows what she's talking about!
  • yoovie
    Options
    I love it. I asked anyone who would listen to me for a barbell and bench for Christmas (and got them), and my husband is building me a squat rack in the basement so I can increase the weight of my squats. I've seen a ton of progress in myself, and the book was phenomenal. There's a New Rules of Lifting for Women group here on MFP that's quite active, too!

@EWJLang Don't worry about how much you're lifting or starting off with! Just keep adding weight and you'll get there!

If I was married and my husband built me a squat rack or a bench, I'd buy him a diamond ring and hand forge a golden trophy for him that lets the whole world know he won BEST HUSBAND EVER.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options

NROLFW isn't just for women. It's geared towards women but both genders can run the program. I've read males on this board doing the program with their wives. Which I think is sweet, regardless of the program. #foreveralone lol
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    yoovie wrote: »

If I was married and my husband built me a squat rack or a bench, I'd buy him a diamond ring and hand forge a golden trophy for him that lets the whole world know he won BEST HUSBAND EVER.

Well I do, in fact, have the best husband ever :) I've had these stands for awhile but couldn't use them because they were a bit too tall. He built (I helped some) the platform and bought me sawhorses for Christmas to use as safeties. Plus he got me some weight plates and even got handle grips (not shown) so I can lift them more easily.

20141230_205044_zpscfa73678.jpg
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options

I started at 55lbs, but that was because i had just stopped stronglifts 5x5, when i first started stronglifts 5x5 i was just using the 45lb bar and worked up from there. the one thing that i did pick up from stronglifts is even just adding 5lbs/workout can make a huge difference over time versus trying to add more than you can handle or not adding more because you think you cannot do it.... just try adding 5lbs/workout you can always take the 5lbs off for the second set if necessary.

I'm limited to the weights I have in house, for now, which makes moving up a challenge. I started DL with 2 15 pound dumbbells and moved up to 40 lbs in plates on an EZ curl bar, which is actually total about 53 pounds. My husband's old straight bar currently has 50 in plates on it, I need to weigh it to get the total weight. (It came with some Universal set he got at Sears 20 years ago, so it isn't a full-size Olympic bar with regulation weight.) I'm wrapping up Stage 1, but already have "favorite lifts" (love the bent over row and deadlifts are FUN!) and am hoping to continue seeing results.) If I hit a wall with my basement gear (which will definitely happen with squats, as I don't think there is a built in rack on the universal set...I currently use a 25 pound dumbbell on each shoulder) I'll check out local gyms. Most are unfortunately machine-and-cardio outfits, but hopefully they at least have real weights available, if not a true powerlifting gym.
  • nickylee76
    nickylee76 Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    I am starting this week Wednesday. Looking forward to it. :)
  • yoovie
    edited January 2015
    Options
    lili61 wrote: »
    Do it! It completely changed my body. Below pic: Before is after losing 20 pounds with mostly cardio and bodyweight exercises. After is after completing NROLFW and only 6-7 pounds lighter! I ate at a slight deficit and lifted 3x/week most weeks.

that is an AMAZING change!

*edited to remove my own pics