Losing 2lbs a week at 185?

Options
2»

Replies

• shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    My average weight loss per week fluctuates between 1.3lbs per week & 2lbs per week. (currently the average is about 1.5lbs per week) I'm 5'4.5" and this morning was 157.8lbs. I'm only aiming for 1lb per week with my MFP settings.
    My diary is a mess and I tend to keep my total calorie intake between 1600 - 2000.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    If you get dizzy or you're generally weak or tired, you're probably eating too little.

If you feel healthy and strong, you're probably doing very well.

The "safe" thing for you isn't something I'd know, though. You need an expert for that.
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Options
    I'm 185 at 5'4". I am fairly muscular, so I'm not HUGE, but I definitely am starting to look round. And thanks for the advice. And for those of you who have lost 2lbs per week, were you 100% strict on dieting and exercise?

I am 15 lbs. heavier than you, but yes, when I am strict on my dieting (and very very accurate), I generally lose about 2 lbs. per week.

• BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    I'm 185 at 5'4". I am fairly muscular, so I'm not HUGE, but I definitely am starting to look round. And thanks for the advice. And for those of you who have lost 2lbs per week, were you 100% strict on dieting and exercise?

yes i am pretty strict with myself. I decided that the weight comes off. So no excuses.
    I eat everything in my calorie allowance.
    Only i dont add salt or sugar ( for health reasons)

i started at 260 and currently 204 Still almost 60 pounds to go. :)

• kyta32
    kyta32 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    2lbs is safe but not something I would personally aim for at 5'6" / 179lbs let alone someone of your stats. Set something that is more realistic and attainable. You will most likely be miserable and bummed out when you are cutting cals so low to try to achieve 2 lbs a week and it doesn't end up happening.

I've been losing 3-4 pounds a week since July. I'm at 191 now (and just stopped being obese) so I expect it to slow down. MFP says that at 1200 calories I'll lose 1.6 lbs/wk. I'm able to stay under 1200 calories a day most week days without feeling miserable and bummed about it, even in weeks when I lose less (like right before my period).

I'm also running faster and further than I was when I started, having strength gains, and seeing muscles at the tops of my arms that weren't there before (there's a lot to be said for working out).

According to the online fat calculators, I've lost about 2 pounds of muscle for my 105 pound weight loss (20 lbs before joining MFP. Weighing less means I need/use less muscle just to get around, and I think some muscle loss is inevitable, but I'm making sure to get plenty of protein (more than .8g/kg of body weight) and am doing some strength and body weight training to try to preserve my lean mass.

There is some evidence that people do better with weight loss if they lose faster to begin with, but chosing rate of weight loss is up to the individual.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    A forum is! :p
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    Your profile says that you want to get to 135 lbs, which is within the healthy weight range for your height and a great goal. That means your goal is to lose 50 lbs. Here's the guideline:

If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lb/week is ideal
    If you have 15-25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lb/week is ideal
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lb/week is ideal

After you lose the first 10 lbs, based on the guidelines, you would want to consider dropping from 1.5 lbs/week to 1 lb/week. And so on. The way it works is that you would slowly transition into maintenance. Otherwise, you would have to eat fewer and fewer calories.

For example, when I started, I was set to lose 2 lbs/week. I was set to eat 1,750. This was very aggressive for my weight. So I dropped to 1.5 lbs/week. It gave me 1850 calories per day, which was sustainable. As I lost more and more weight, it kept dropping. I needed to eat less to keep at the 1.5 lb/week level. When it dropped me down to 1400 calories I wised up and dropped my goal to 1 lb/week. That is why the range exists.