Kidney Stones and diet

Options
So I was just diagnosed with kidney stones and have them in both kidneys and have only passed on that I know of. I am changing my diet significantly since mine are uric acid and I have low pH. So I don't get to eat red meat, fish or chicken besides about 10% of my diet which was how I got all my protein before this. I also need to watch fried foods, some veggies and no sugar or white flour. so I am struggling finding things to eat. I am not a huge fruit and veggie eater so I need to find snacks that I can do fast. I bought gluten free cereal but there are a ton of Carbs in it. I also lift really heavy so I am worried about my protein intake. Any help would be great! Any advice?

Replies

• EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options
    My family is prone to kidney stones, in our case oxalate stones, and my advice would be work with a dietitian given your preferences and workout activities/goals.
  • spickard34
    spickard34 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I don't have Kidney stones but I have bladder issues that are kind of similar. I have not changed my protein intake at all however there are certain foods that will send me in pain. Spinach or green leafy foods, Almonds, Almond milk, Diet pop, Most fruit. Do yourself a favor and Google Low Oxalate diet list this is the best one I found http://www.ohf.org/docs/Oxalate2008.pdf. I have been eating closely to this and no more bladder problems. I also eat Gluten free for medical reasons. You can add me if you want to check out my diary for ideas. =)
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I don't have kidney stones, but my husband does, and his aren't formed from eating anything in particular, though the foods that will trigger gout do contribute a little. He'll mostly get them when he doesn't drink enough water. I would say talk with a dietitian and try different foods to see what the triggers are and go from there.