Weight Loss: What do you eat for breakfast?

Options
I am on a plan that has my calorie goal set to about 2200 calories. I am a big breakfast eater. I feel like a big breakfast gets me going for the day. My question is do any of you have any breakfast ideas that include a lot of food but a little amount of calories? I would like to feel full after breakfast for under about 500 - 600 calories. thanks

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I eat 1 whole egg along with the equivalent of 4 eggs from a carton of egg whites and a serving of Coach's Oats and sometimes 1/2 a grapefruit.

This comes out to around 350 - 400 calories with the added oils and a little milk, my coffee, etc. and it's a pretty good amount of food.
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    Usually oats with sunbutter and lots of fruit or a green smoothie. My breakfasts are @ 400-500 calories.
  • ryanhorn
    ryanhorn Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Oats with peanut butter and cinnamon and a piece of fruit is usually what I have. It keeps me under 400 calories and keeps me full until lunch.

I'll also second the eggs suggestion!
  • jhenders68
    jhenders68 Posts: 3 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I like to eat 1 egg, a couple of grilled mushrooms, grilled tomato, slice of nimble wholewheat toast - about 250 kcal. If I'm really hungry I have 2 eggs which makes it around 320 kcal.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    I had a breakfast burrito this morning with sour cream and coffee with milk and creamer. It was about 400 calories total.
  • go2grrl
    go2grrl Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I'll usually make an egg casserole for the week. 8 eggs, whole milk, ground turkey, veggies or whatever I have handy to toss in. Sometimes I eat it with salsa and guacamole on top. You could add a piece of toast and butter and get your 500 easily without having to cook or prepare every single day.
  • ubermofish
    ubermofish Posts: 102 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    2 slices of thick bacon, or 4 slices of thin, and 2 over-easy eggs fried in a little bit of the bacon fat. Dip the crispy bacon in the runny yolk, so good. Edit: If you're wanting to add more calories to breakfast, add more bacon, more eggs, or a piece of buttered toast if you're feeling lucky. Proteins and fats will keep you full for longer than carbs.
  • treeniemarie
    treeniemarie Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I usually have oatmeal, skim milk and raspberries. or two pieces of whole wheat bread and two hard boiled eggs
  • Huppdiwupp
    Huppdiwupp Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Porridge made of oats and oat meal, cooked with water and a little bit of soya milk. With that, a chopped carrot and a sliced banana. For about 100g of oats it works out to ~520 kcal.
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options
    Satiety is kind of a personal thing that requires trial and error; at least it does for me. If I'm limiting breakfast to 500-600 calories, I like a peanut butter sandwich (no jelly) on a hearty/seedy bread and 4 oz of some sort of protein.
  • jeffviets
    jeffviets Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Thanks everybody i will put some of these to use... especially grilled mushrooms and breakfast casserole
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    Things i eat for breakfast... pb n j sandwich, cereal, eggs with beans and tortillas, breakfast sausage with rice, oatmeal, quesadillas, danish or cookies with coffee, pizza, pancakes, waffles, French toast, or sometimes nothing....

OP, what do you usually eat for breakfast?
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I typically skip breakfast, but on the occasions when I eat it I like 2 boiled eggs, a slice of toast with jam and a cup of tea.

It's < 300 calories using 45 calorie whole wheat bread, large eggs and homemade blackberry jam, so you could add something else if you wanted, but this fills me up.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Check out the What's for Breakfast thread for lots of ideas.

I was going to say that for 2200 you don't need a low calorie breakfast, but then saw that you meant 500-600, which will give you lots of options. I just posted about my 450 calorie breakfast that felt decadent. I usually do 350-450 calories, and it consists of:

2 egg omelet (with your desired calories you could easily do 3 eggs) with vegetables (usually mushrooms, broccoli or zucchini or asparagus, and some kind of green, like kale or spinach), plus some feta cheese (lots of taste for few calories).

Additional protein (today I had leftover steak, but this could be any kind of meat leftovers, smoked salmon, or cottage cheese or yogurt).

Fruit (today I had avocado, since I was trying to bump my calories somewhat).
  • Alwayssohungry
    Alwayssohungry Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Kashi or Oatmeal depending on the temp of the day - blueberries or craisins, cinnamon, almond milk and walnuts.
  • sgthaggard
    sgthaggard Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    Three egg whites, peameal (Cdn) bacon, whole wheat English muffin, slice of Emmental, and some diced fruit. And coffee, definitely coffee.
  • Roxiegirl2008
    Roxiegirl2008 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I typically eat

oatmeal, two egg whites, a little cheese (.5 oz) and sometimes Canadian bacon (2 slices)
    or
    two egg whites, whole wheat English muffin with almond butter, .5oz cheese and Canadian bacon (2 slices)
  • rbfdac
    rbfdac Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    If I ate 500 to 600 calories for breakfast I would have a big bowl of oatmeal (1 cup=300 calories) with 2 tbsp. of peanut butter (approx. 200 cal). I would also add walnuts or sunflower seeds and some dried cranberries. I currently have this, but 1/2 the quantity and it keeps me full for 4 hours.
  • avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    Big (three-egg) omelette or scramble with lots of veggies (~250kcal), couple of ham steaks (~140kcal, depending on size), whole-grain English muffin (120kcal) withfruit preserves (~25kcal). You can play with that some -- fewer eggs, bacon instead of ham, whatever -- but really, for 500-600 calories you shouldn't have any trouble getting a big breakfast in.
  • lauraedu
    lauraedu Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    If you need something fast and don't have time to make something, I love the Jimmy Dean Delights croissant with turkey sausage, egg white and cheese. It's really filling and it's only 280 calories. They are in the frozen food section. I heat it in the microwave with a moist paper towel and it's delicious!