Veggi help.

Options
2»

Replies

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    If you truly can't stand them, sneak them in. Zucchini and carrot are good to grate then cook into stews and bolognaise type dishes, I cut mushrooms up very finely to add bulk to dishes which use ground meats (I like mushies, I just find the dishes go further with the finely chopped). Finelly shredded spinach disappears into dishes and you'll not notice it there.

However, if you've only every had plain vegies, or ones cooked a certain way, try new things and see if you can find something you like. Vege stir fries, roasted veg, seasoned veg, veg in sauce, salads of so many varieties - I know there are a few people who truly hate all veg, but more often is that you just haven't found a way you like them yet.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    Seconding sneaking them in.
    One of my favorite ways to get spinach in (other than in a salad) is to wilt it. Throw an entire bag of it into a pan with a tablespoon of olive oil in it, and coat with a little kosher salt, garlic powder, and black pepper. Mix well, and cover. You can add this into your pasta sauce and top on spaghetti.

An experiment I tried was the above recipe with 93% ground beef in the sauce, and then topping everything with an ounce of full fat feta. Didn't even need parmesan cheese, since the feta melted and softened in the hot sauce, and really complimented the flavors well.

I also like to add in cooked summer squash and zucchini to my pastas, and will also briefly cook tomatoes in the pan as well with the other veggies.
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    i stir fry a lot
    Yummie with curry, garlic, and pepper powder.
  • lucys1225
    lucys1225 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I also tend to go for spicy and sweet. Try roasting a variety of vegetables with olive oil and sprinkle on Tony Chachere's Cajun seasoning. So good.
  • Anonycatgirl
    Anonycatgirl Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    You like spicy and salty? Saute your veggies lightly with olive oil (not too much--a tablespoon will do for a whole skillet worth), red pepper flakes, garlic and a dash of salt. Works with kale, broccoli, spinach, mustard greens, green beans, snow peas, and I'm sure others. If you're in weight loss mode, give the pan a quick spritz of cooking spray and use a tablespoon or two of broth or the juice from canned tomatoes. Heck, throw some of the canned tomatoes.
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    i thought I didn't like many vegetables. For years, I limited my family to broccoli, green beans and occasionally corn. So sad! I finally decided to start experimenting. Google, food blogs, polling forums like this (and the recipes section too) for ideas... I now eat - and enjoy - brussels sprouts, squashes, sweet potatoes, asparagus, beets and their lovely lovely greens, swiss chard, spinach (cooked, I don't care for it raw still), cauliflower in many different ways, and recently saw a recipe for Mashed Root Vegetables that I intend to try ASAP (though I've never had turnips or parsnips before, I'm not letting it stop me).

The worst that happens, I don't like it and I've wasted a little bit of money on the supplies.
    But the possible best: I expand my food horizon, I add to my cooking repertoire, and more deliciousness enters my life. That's worth the effort to me.
  • Jpat0
    Jpat0 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I feel veggies get a bad rep, sadly. Honestly, it's how you cook them. I hate boiled broccoli but sauteed broccoli with olive oil, garlic and chilli flakes... it's mouth watering.

If you really don't like the taste of veggies, try to hide it in rich flavours. Try Indian, Thai, Chinese or Japanese cuisine. Most dishes have tons of vegetables in them and you can barely tell (stay away from the thick and heavy sauces). Pasta or lasagna is another way you can add vegetables in your diet (to stay healthy, try to use whole wheat pasta and stay away from creamy sauces). You will be surprised by how good some salads taste. Pick up ready made salads at any grocery store (my favourite is greek salad) to start and if you like the taste try to make some at home. Some other ideas are roasting vegetables, soups etc.

Please note that you won't like every vegetable. I hate green beans, eggplant and mushrooms. I love different kinds of foods and I gave these 3 things a chance plenty of times but I just cannot swallow them. It's okay to not like something, only if you have given it a fair chance by trying it many different ways.

Feel free to add me to check out my food diary to get some ideas.

Hope this helped you!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Good for you! Vegetables are so good for you.

I'd say learn new ways to prepare them. Buy a wok and water stir fry them. Learn new roasting recipes. Steam them only a bit; don't over steam them. Try new ones. Roasted brussels sprouts are divine.
    Encourage your friends to cook their favorite vegetables for you.

And yes, green smoothies. A cup of frozen spinach with a big handful of berries (and whatever else you want) and some water or milk and BAM you've got a very nutrient dense meal/snack.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Sauce 'em. Make 'em taste wonderful by putting stuff on them. For example, melt a little 35 calorie cheese spread wedge on them or try this from my MFP blog: green beans with honey, mustard and cornichons
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I swing through "likes" and "hates". This August I was eating mason jar salads daily, using up the delicious butternut lettuce from my community garden. When the lettuce petered out, so did my interest in salads. I regenerated my interest in vegetables by conducting a seven day challenge, blogged here:
    http://jgnatbuzz.blogspot.ca/2014/09/seven-day-veggie-challenge.html

I am smarter now and look for vegetables in season. The fresher, the better. During the long winter frozen vegetables, cabbages, and winter squash are nicest here.
  • bobbichristine
    bobbichristine Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Loving your responses! I'm not afraid to try and eat things I do not like, I just wanted a way to make them enjoyable. I think sneaking them in will be one of the easiest ways. But i'll be trying many of your suggestions.
  • La5Vega5Girl
    La5Vega5Girl Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    i love having roasted veggies. here's how i do it:
    get broccoli & cauliflower & carrots and chop into small bite-sized pieces.
    put into a large bowl and add salt & ground red pepper (you can do any seasoning you like)
    add olive oil or melted coconut oil. (generous amount, enough to thoroughly coat veggies)
    bake at 400F for about 45 minutes or until they almost burn and crisp on the edges.
  • La5Vega5Girl
    La5Vega5Girl Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    Sauce 'em. Make 'em taste wonderful by putting stuff on them. For example, melt a little 35 calorie cheese spread wedge on them or try this from my MFP blog: green beans with honey, mustard and cornichons

melted cheese on veggies is a great idea! <3

• bobbichristine
    bobbichristine Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    i love having roasted veggies. here's how i do it:
    get broccoli & cauliflower & carrots and chop into small bite-sized pieces.
    put into a large bowl and add salt & ground red pepper (you can do any seasoning you like)
    add olive oil or melted coconut oil. (generous amount, enough to thoroughly coat veggies)
    bake at 400F for about 45 minutes or until they almost burn and crisp on the edges.

This. I shall try this.
    I would try the cheese ideas you all keep posting, except I am lactose intolerant. So. My life sucks. Thanks though!
  • chaines7169
    chaines7169 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you want something salty and quick and easy. Cucumbers dipped in salt is my go to. cold,salty,crunchy. fresh spinach on sandwiches, in tacos, with strawberries or rolled up with hummus inside, cold, crunch, fresh. I purchased that spaggatti gadget that turns zucchini into spaggatti which I stir fry, add alittle onion, parmasen cheese, garlic, yum. and roasting vegetables is my wonderful winter time treat. all kinds with olive oil and a little salt. warm,soft,salty.
  • ToniaH75
    Options
    Thank you for starting this first of all. Im not a big fan of vegetables either but i am open to trying new things. I only know one way to cook veggies where i like them and that is with lots of butter and boiling..Thank you all for the great ideas.
  • redpandora56
    redpandora56 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    another vote for oven roasted, you can put just about any veg in the oven with some olive oil and get great results. and to mix it up, try different seasonings and spices - roasting the same veg with garlic, salt,pepper, or instead with cajun spices, or ground cumin and coriander with chili powder, will all give you different experiences of them, so mix it up until you find combinations you like!
    also spiralizers are good to experiment with, you can make 'noodles' out of sweet potato or zucchini(courgette) to use with pasta sauces or stir fries, or chopped up with egg/flour to make sweet potato pancakes, that sort of thing. there's an entire website called inspiralized.com where she has tons of recipes using a spiralizer and different vegetables.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    I'll add to the voices recommending roasting them with seasonings. My current favorite is cauliflower with smoked paprika. It doesn't take a lot of olive oil to coat a whole head of cauliflower florets... just 2 teaspoons or so, but be generous with the paprika! Add some garlic powder and it is delicious.
  • libbydoodle11
    libbydoodle11 Posts: 1,351 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Use 4 to 6 cups of broth or stock of your choice

Use whatever seasonings you like

Use whatever veggies you think you can stand. Maybe start with 3 carrots, 1 small onion and 3 stalks of celery and some garlic.

Cook veggies in the broth till tender.

Puree in blender or food processor.

Pour puree back into the pot.

Add frozen corn and cut up baked potatoes.

Stir till corn is heated through.

Serve and eat.