I just did half a push up!

Options
RachelSD7
RachelSD7 Posts: 65 Member
I used to think push-ups were something only people who were born fit and sporty did. How wrong was I?!
Determined to kick-start my new healthy lifestyle, I tried to do push ups. Real, toes on the floor, arms shaking push ups. How hard could it be? Of course, after an entire life of living a sedentary lifestyle, I couldn't even do one without collapsing onto the floor. BUT! I didn't give up! I've been doing assisted push-ups off the kitchen counter for the past few weeks whilst waiting for food to cook, the kettle to boil - anything! So tonight, when I decided that I'd give them another go, I DID IT! I can now lower myself to the ground with control - not collapsing onto my face like a disgruntled pancake.
I guess what I'm trying to say in a rambling sort of way, is that a victory is a victory, no matter how small. If you can only do half a push-up, or walk half a mile, you're half the way closer than you were before! :D

Replies

• RachelSD7
    Options
    Now to work on pushing myself back up again... :|
  • Eire228
    Eire228 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    You go, girl!!! There is no victory too small when it comes to being healthy. That's an amazing accomplishment! :)
  • lousyhero9
    lousyhero9 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Assisted push-up like your feet on the counter, or your hands on the counter and pushing up?

Anyway, you gotta start somewhere! And starting is the hardest part. Pushing yourself back up is the hardest part, you're right.
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    ...the down AND up motion is a full push up.

:\

ETA: derp, read this as a "completed a full push up"
    Good for you haha B)
  • clandrum1984
    clandrum1984 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Hey we all have to start somewhere.. I used to do them inclined on the wall, then went to doing them inclined, feet on the floor hands on the couch. Now I can do almost 10 on the floor. Keep it up!
  • lt3ag4s
    lt3ag4s Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    awesome!
  • RachelSD7
    Options
    jkwolly wrote: »

Hence why I said HALF of one! People make push ups look so easy - they bob up and down like they were born to do it. But it's hard bloody going! The more you weigh, the harder the lift and for someone like me, it's a big sign of progress and a massive motivation to work on getting back up again!
  • jkwolly
    Options
    RachelSD7 wrote: »

Hence why I said HALF of one! People make push ups look so easy - they bob up and down like they were born to do it. But it's hard bloody going! The more you weigh, the harder the lift and for someone like me, it's a big sign of progress and a massive motivation to work on getting back up again!
    Haha yep, I updated my comment, total derp moment! :p
  • RachelSD7
    Options
    lousyhero9 wrote: »
    Assisted push-up like your feet on the counter, or your hands on the counter and pushing up?

Anyway, you gotta start somewhere! And starting is the hardest part. Pushing yourself back up is the hardest part, you're right.

LOL! I'd have to have reallllly long arms to do it with my feet on the counter!!
    I stand two floor tiles away from the kitchen counter, feet together. Hands in front of me, shoulder width apart, and then slowly lower my chest to the counter edge, back straight, and back to neutral. It was a challenge at first to do 10, then I gradually increased to 20, and now I'm doing them 3 tiles away, and adding attempted push-ups to my routine too!
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    Way to go!!! You should be proud! Progress is progress.

I am working on my pullups... I can do one. But one day, I will be stronger. And that is what counts.

Keep up the good work!
  • RachelSD7
    Options

Haha yep, I updated my comment, total derp moment! :p

No worries - I'll let you know when I get to 1! :p
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    My husband can do pushups with my 50lb son on his back. Meanwhile, I am where you are, I can get down, just not up. ;)
  • RachelSD7
    Options
    Hey we all have to start somewhere.. I used to do them inclined on the wall, then went to doing them inclined, feet on the floor hands on the couch. Now I can do almost 10 on the floor. Keep it up!

That's awesome! I wish there were more lovely people out there who show that you don't go from 0-100 in one day - it takes time and practice!
  • RachelSD7
    Options
    Laurend224 wrote: »
    My husband can do pushups with my 50lb son on his back. Meanwhile, I am where you are, I can get down, just not up. ;)

Pfft. Show off ;)
    You'll be there before you know it. Your son will be heavier too, so more means for boasting!
  • jkwolly
    Options
    MireyGal76 wrote: »
    Way to go!!! You should be proud! Progress is progress.

I am working on my pullups... I can do one. But one day, I will be stronger. And that is what counts.

Keep up the good work!
    This is me too! Pullups are a B.
  • flumi_f
    flumi_f Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    You'll get there. Do your half push up everyday, until it becomes a whole one...then continue to 1 1/2 ....2 .... 2 1/2...etc. Form over number! You will progress quickly and see your abs and arm muscles get firmer!

Why do I know, you ask? I've been there and worked myself up to 25 in a row and 3x20 within a workout in just 1-2 months. Could do more now, but was always quite happy with that ;-)
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    Awesome! I've been trying and failing to do pushups for ages, so just last week I decided to start using the counter. I realized that my chest was never engaging before and I was only using my shoulders, so I'm really hopeful that I'll be right behind you!!
  • RachelSD7
    Options
    sofaking6 wrote: »
    Awesome! I've been trying and failing to do pushups for ages, so just last week I decided to start using the counter. I realized that my chest was never engaging before and I was only using my shoulders, so I'm really hopeful that I'll be right behind you!!

Wait, your chest is supposed to be helping?! Well, I never! Maybe that's where we're going wrong! I've seen a definite muscle increase in my arms since starting the kitchen counter routine, so it does help (even if I'm doing it slightly wrong)
    Off to find a youtube vid, methinks :o
  • lousyhero9
    lousyhero9 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    lousyhero9 wrote: »

LOL! I'd have to have reallllly long arms to do it with my feet on the counter!!
    I stand two floor tiles away from the kitchen counter, feet together. Hands in front of me, shoulder width apart, and then slowly lower my chest to the counter edge, back straight, and back to neutral. It was a challenge at first to do 10, then I gradually increased to 20, and now I'm doing them 3 tiles away, and adding attempted push-ups to my routine too!

Try staying in the front-leaning rest for 30 seconds. Its kinda like a plank, only more weight on your arms :) Its a time-extended half push-up!
  • jesiann2014
    jesiann2014 Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    Awesome sauce, Rachel! I get it, girl. Thought I would never be able to push through 1 stinkin push-up! Grrrr... Now I can do 5. Oh yeah! And yesterday, I did 2 (TWO) chin-ups! Seriously, I still can't quite believe it. It took me 7 months to do 1 chin-up.
    (/)(\)(/)(\)(/)(/) *** Happy Dance!***
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!