Skinnyfat

Options
Hi guys

I bulked up for a few months, felt like most of it was an extra tyre round my waist and very little muscle. I cut down after that and ended up losing all the small amount of muscle I gained, but the belly remained!

Bulk round 2 started in August and finished in December, 14lbs heavier and again most of the weight seems to have gone to my waist (although I have noticed a difference in my back, chest and leg thickness as well), so Im cutting again. I dont want to end up skinny with a belly again, is there anyone with any tips that can help me having been through this before?

Thanks all.

Replies

• reemslaw
    reemslaw Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I should say I lift weights 5 times a week and have done for several years.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    reemslaw wrote: »
    I should say I lift weights 5 times a week and have done for several years.

Do you lift progressively heavier? Do you eat enough protein?
  • reemslaw
    Options
    Between 180-200g of protein a day at my weight which is currently 163lbs. I have tried to progress my lifts and have managed to do that on some movements but I feel as though I've been stalled on the same weights now for ages.
  • Lambrah
    Lambrah Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Post stats. From experience skinnyfats shouldnt really bulk. Recomp or cut with progressive overload weight training if you want a lean look.
  • reemslaw
    Options
    Lambrah wrote: »
    Post stats. From experience skinnyfats shouldnt really bulk. Recomp or cut with progressive overload weight training if you want a lean look.

Yeah I am cutting now, I just wanna do it right. Seems like my body is primed for fat gain when bulking.

What stats do you need?

33 yrs old
    163lbs
    5 FT 10

Workout 5 days a week, pretty sedentary other than that.

• Lambrah
    Lambrah Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    At 5'10, 163 is a good weight. It might be your lifting routine that needs to be changed. Im assuming that you do a 5 day split since you work out often right?
  • reemslaw
    Options
    I don't care about the number 163 really, it's the composition I want to be better. If I could lose 10lbs of fat and add 5lbs of muscle I think it would make a huge difference.

Push/pull/legs, to hit everything twice, so to be honest it's a 6 day split unless I can't make one session because something comes up.
  • Jypo
    Jypo Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    You shouldn't really bulk all cut in this case. If you are skinny fat, and new to lifting, it doesn't really matter what you do. If you lift weight you will most likely gain muscle. This is because the body adapts to whatever situation you present it. If you lift then you will build muscle.
    What I'd do is just find out you maintenance calories, and eat about 100-200 calories above that mark. Stick to this for a year. If you think you a gaining a % of body fat to many, then what I did was like a "mini cut" where I'd reduce my calories just for 3-4 weeks or so. Sadly its not a thing that will take a few months, it takes a year or 2. Look at a few videos on youtube and they'll help you out.

Also, looking at your split you don't have to do that much in the gym. Heck, a three day full body split with about 6-7 compound movements a day will do you fine if you're new to the gym :)

Don't over think it, it takes time!
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    What reps and sets are you doing?
  • reemslaw
    Options
    Jypo wrote: »
    You shouldn't really bulk all cut in this case. If you are skinny fat, and new to lifting, it doesn't really matter what you do. If you lift weight you will most likely gain muscle. This is because the body adapts to whatever situation you present it. If you lift then you will build muscle.
    What I'd do is just find out you maintenance calories, and eat about 100-200 calories above that mark. Stick to this for a year. If you think you a gaining a % of body fat to many, then what I did was like a "mini cut" where I'd reduce my calories just for 3-4 weeks or so. Sadly its not a thing that will take a few months, it takes a year or 2. Look at a few videos on youtube and they'll help you out.

Also, looking at your split you don't have to do that much in the gym. Heck, a three day full body split with about 6-7 compound movements a day will do you fine if you're new to the gym :)

Don't over think it, it takes time!

Thanks Jypo, what you've said there makes sense, although I'm not new to lifting - Ive been in the gym since 2012. Does that change anything? I was 9 stone in 2011 and had a terrible diet (mainly liquid) and I put on 2 stone in the first yearish, just from eating more healthily and going to the gym. Although at that time my form was probably all over the place and I didnt really know what I was doing.

Darren, right now I do no more than 6 exercises. Broken down into 3 work sets and a drop-set at the end.

• Jypo
    Options

Thanks Jypo, what you've said there makes sense, although I'm not new to lifting - Ive been in the gym since 2012. Does that change anything? I was 9 stone in 2011 and had a terrible diet (mainly liquid) and I put on 2 stone in the first yearish, just from eating more healthily and going to the gym. Although at that time my form was probably all over the place and I didnt really know what I was doing.

I would say it all depends on diet at the time. If your lifting and your diet was mainly liquids then you'll still build muscle but not optimally. It depends how you trained since that time. If you've been at the gym since 2012 then surely you're underestimating yourself? you can't be completely skinny fat? You must have some muscle?

regardless back the question in hand. I think the key is that you should just eat slightly above maintenance for a year or so. (With the mini cuts if needed) Then diet when you feel ready.

At this moment in time, I'm about a week into my diet, I'm 170lbs at 5'8 and I'm about 18-20% body fat (Quite high imo) So being 5'10 you should at least get above that weight, cause if you're eating at that calorie range your body should adapt some (lose some fat aswell as gain muscle)

p.s. glad to see you've been going to the gym since 2012, and made good progress. Keep it up! :)
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Go for a re-comp, it's slow but worth it.
  • reemslaw
    Options

I would say it all depends on diet at the time. If your lifting and your diet was mainly liquids then you'll still build muscle but not optimally. It depends how you trained since that time. If you've been at the gym since 2012 then surely you're underestimating yourself? you can't be completely skinny fat? You must have some muscle?

regardless back the question in hand. I think the key is that you should just eat slightly above maintenance for a year or so. (With the mini cuts if needed) Then diet when you feel ready.

At this moment in time, I'm about a week into my diet, I'm 170lbs at 5'8 and I'm about 18-20% body fat (Quite high imo) So being 5'10 you should at least get above that weight, cause if you're eating at that calorie range your body should adapt some (lose some fat aswell as gain muscle)

p.s. glad to see you've been going to the gym since 2012, and made good progress. Keep it up! :)

Yeah, when I said liquid, I meant alcohol... hence the skinnyfat, lol.

I have some muscle now yes, but you wouldnt know that I have been in the gym for 2 years at all. My scales (i know they're hardly accurate but still) tells me I'm at 17% BF, so if I could drop the BF to 10% and hold on to the muscle I have gained Im sure I'd look at lot better.

What is your target to drop to from 18-20%, and how long will it take do you think?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I moved the thread to get some of the more experienced lifters to see this thread.
  • Jypo
    Options

I have some muscle now yes, but you wouldnt know that I have been in the gym for 2 years at all. My scales (i know they're hardly accurate but still) tells me I'm at 17% BF, so if I could drop the BF to 10% and hold on to the muscle I have gained Im sure I'd look at lot better.

What is your target to drop to from 18-20%, and how long will it take do you think?

Ah I see haha! I'd personally say eat slightly above maintenance then. But it's you're choice, its possible to diet sure. But you might want to gain more muscle to make it easier for yourself. More muscle increases metabolism so the amount of calories you burn is higher.

I hope to lose 1-2lbs a week, and about 3lbs in my first week (due to water weight and all that) so I hope to be about 155-160lbs in 3 months of solid dieting and increasing activities when I hit a weight loss plateau.
  • reemslaw
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    I'm but in my opinion for you to get more accurate advice you should post a current picture.

You said you do P/P/L but can we see a detailed breakdown.

Thanks, cant post a pic because I'm at work, but I can do a quick breakdown of the P/P/L

Push: Bench, Incline Fly, Shoulder Press, Lat raise, Tricep Extension, Rope Pulldown and I finsh with as many press ups i can do.

Pull: 1 arm Bent-Over Row, Lat Pulldown, Cable Row, Shrug SS with Face Pulls, Incline Dumbbell Curls & finish with some Lying Cable Curls.

Legs: Leg Press SS with Leg Extension, Calf Raise, Walking Dumbbell Lunges, Hamstring Curl SS with SL Deadlift.

All are done with 1 min break inbetween sets, 2 mins inbetween movements, and I do 3 sets of each with a drop set at the end of each movement.
  • reemslaw
    Options

I hope to lose 1-2lbs a week, and about 3lbs in my first week (due to water weight and all that) so I hope to be about 155-160lbs in 3 months of solid dieting and increasing activities when I hit a weight loss plateau.

Sounds good, only adding cardio when you plateau. I find it boring!

• Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    Well done OP for getting yourself off the liquid diet. Loads of great advice here. I just wanted to add, try not to cut too fast and hard. I lost a lot of hard earned muscle from cutting more than 10-15% off of maintenance, and also training above lactate threshold (in other words..too hard).

I'm an older female and was new to training but it's another piece of the puzzle that needed fixing.