Fat Intake and Irregularity? (TMI warning)

HereLieWe
HereLieWe Posts: 233 Member
edited January 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
I suffer from constipation. This is nothing new- even though I drink at least 8, 8 oz glasses of water each day and have more than enough fiber from fruits and veggies, I've never gone poo more than 3-4 times a week. I figure this is pretty unhealthy. Looking at my macros, it seems like my fat intake is pretty low. Like only 12 grams a day tops. The reason it's so low is because I choose fat-free options since they're usually lower in calories.

Should I try to eat more fat? Do you have any suggestions of fatty foods that are relatively low in calories?

Replies

• corinic91
    corinic91 Posts: 148 Member
    8 oz of water a day could be a problem -- Rule of thumb (though it does actually vary from person to person) is 8x that amount.
  • HereLieWe
    HereLieWe Posts: 233 Member
    Sorry, I meant 8 glasses a day.
  • nickatine
    nickatine Posts: 451 Member
    Eat this salad once a day, what ever greens u want with some chopped avacado, corn, tablespoon olive oil some lemon juice. 12 grams is way to low I usually have about 60 to 70 grams of fat a day. Raw crunchy almond butter mixed with oats is good in the morning .
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Magnesium oxide will help. You can get it in pill form. Also a good probiotic that is geared toward constipation will also help.
    I can eat a ton of high fibre foods, and go way over the rdi and it won't help.
    The above 2 supplements make a huge difference for me. Everyday like clockwork :D
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Also, yes upping your fat intake will help too. Try and stay away from low fat options. You could try adding coconut oil, real grass fed butter etc
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Eat more fat, fat is good! I usually have a Smooth Move tea if I have troubles, but it sounds like you are having chronic constipation. Does your Dr. know? May want to consider a daily stool softener or something like Miralax. Then again, not everyone goes every single day, it may just be how you roll. :p
  • allyphoe
    allyphoe Posts: 618 Member
    Frequency isn't what defines constipation. If that's the only issue, it's probably normal variation.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    magnesium citrate.