exercise at home

Options
When I come home from work it's too cold and dark to exercise outside(I prefer not to do it alone for safety reasons). Financially the gym is not an option right now

For those of you who exercise at home and have made it a habit by doing it for more than 3 months; what has kept you motivated? Please share some advice.

Thanks in advance.

Replies

• gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    Youtube videos... yoga, cardio, anything you might like.
  • deladypilot
    deladypilot Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I have several Leslie Sansone Walk at home videos along with a kettle ball video and my AeroPilates machine. As mentioned, lots of free workout videos on youtube
  • Josyurtos23
    Josyurtos23 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I have those as well, but what motivates you to put the DVDs in the player day in and day out?
  • apryljefferson1
    apryljefferson1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I use fitness blender on YouTube defiantly 5 stars for them
  • samantha0703
    Options
    BLOGILATES. There is a youtube channel as well as blogilates.com There are calendars that you can follow on the website. I highly recommend it:)
  • Rachb62
    Options
    What motivates me is a picture of myself when I was 125 lbs that I placed on my refrigerator. That's where I want to be. Every time I look at it, it makes me work harder. You have to find your own motivation. Think of the body you have and what you want it to be. That should be enough motivation.
  • funnybun1
    funnybun1 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I've been working at this for a while now. I'll be honest in saying - yes it's freaking hard to keep motivated working out at home. I'm just getting back to it for the 2nd round and I want to make this stick - for good.

Once you really start working out for a couple weeks - you'll feel better - you'll look better, you'll sleep better and others will notice it. Trust me :) Hopefully that will be some awesome motivation for you.

Anyone looking for a daily logger is welcome to add me.
  • Markdjones83
    Markdjones83 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    I've done bits and pieces of assorted beach body programs and what keeps me motivated is the schedule and trying to keep to it.

I would also suggest if you have a hard time doing it at night, I get up early and do it before work although I haven't been as motivated as of late I gotta be better about it :)
  • ems00hotmail
    Options
    I have a stack of index cards, with a different exercise written on each. Sometimes I will shuffle the cards, set a timer for one minute, and do whatever exercise is listed on the top card for one minute. Then I move on to the next card, and continue for however much time I have. My kids like to help out by bringing me the cards and telling me what exercise to do. Sometimes they join in and exercise with me.
  • sympha01
    sympha01 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    Exercise in the morning. If feeling unmotivated is holding you back in the evenings, make an appointment with yourself before the day begins when you don't have excuses like "I'm tired," "It's been a long day" etc. DO EET FIRST. It still sucks, but I find it helps me be honest with myself.

Also, especially at first, I made a point of doing that exercise appointment EVERY. DAMN. DAY. It didn't have to be long exercise session, but I did have to dress out, no excuses. I found back then that if I took a day or two off, even planned, then getting back to it was even harder. The thing is if you're trying to become an exerciser from a starting point of being a non-exerciser, you're simply not working out so hard that you need serious "rest days" anyway at that point. Rest days are needed when you go balls-to-the-wall HIIT or lift super-heavy. And if the alternative is not exercising at all, well. Go lighter if you need to and go every damn day until your exercise habit is locked in.

Also, FWIW, it took about 4 months of doing that before exercise felt like a habit to me that I wasn't going to wriggle out of.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    My motivation is results and doing stuff I like. Try a type of exercise. If you don't like it after a month try something else. There are so many types of cardio and strength training programs out there. You don't have to run. You don't have to do Stronglifts. You don't have to do pilates. Find what you enjoy and you'll be more apt to stick with it.
  • elliebows
    elliebows Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I use Pinterest -- I have a workout board with different workouts posted (crossfit-at-home type stuff, ab exercises, HIIT, full body workouts....) as well as some motivating pictures of what I want to look like. I find that just checking this page on my phone reminds me why I'm doing what I'm doing, and I can always find a workout that appeals to me for that day.
  • DjinnMarie
    DjinnMarie Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    The motivation for me came from buying ever increasing weights/dumbbells.