Define a true Dr. Who fan

Options
ldrosophila
ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
What defines a Dr. Who fan. Is it someone who has watched it from the 60's and on, or is it someone who has jumped on it with the last 3 incarnations? Can you be a true fan if you only know the names of the last few companions?

I often jump on the Tom Baker bandwagon, but that's because I started watching it in the 80's with reruns on PBS. What kid doesn't love a talking robot dog?

I know this a an inflammatory post, but I think it needs to be discussed.

Replies

• JackKopCh
    JackKopCh Posts: 8,044 Member
    Options
    Someone who enjoys watching Doctor Who, as simple as that really. That is the whole point of the show and why its so amazing, its for everyone, we all have our Doctors who where there when we started. Its not about how long you've watched or if you have dug through the old shows.

Although Matt is my favourite, Christopher Ecclestone will always hold a soft spot because he was my first. My Grandad did show me some old episodes as a child, but 2005 is when I got properly into it.
  • Train4Foodz
    Train4Foodz Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    dr-who-super-fan-tom-nichols-1-of-1-2.jpg

^^This^^

Nah, never been a mega fan.. But I have huge respect for the series, keeping being bold and making changes even so long after its first airing. It never gets old, that is an awesome quality in any show!!!!!
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I don't think you have to have watched everything from the time it began, you can be a huge fan having seen nothing but the newer stuff. I used to watch as a kid, sporadically, but am a huge fan of it now, to the point that our wedding topper was us in a TARDIS (in my photos on my profile).
  • NJGamerChick
    NJGamerChick Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I've been watching since the reincarnation of the series and slowly learning about the original series as my brain sees fit. It's a good sci-fi show and I'm sad I missed it in the 80s as I think I'd have liked it as a kid. I'm with Jack though, especially since Doctor Who episodes are lost forever and the true original will never be available to be watched again. When they discover new reels, I get so happy because it's one step closer to having the original series be complete.

So far I like Tennant the most and Smith and Eccleston (man, that always looks spelled so wrong to me) are tied. I haven't decided on Capaldi, but I'm waiting to marathon (I'm one of those watchers) the last season when I feel better.
  • blueboxgeek
    blueboxgeek Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    When they have their favourite doctor as their avatar and chose a stupid Doctor Who related username on MFP?????
  • Alatariel75
    Options
    When they have their favourite doctor as their avatar and chose a stupid Doctor Who related username on MFP?????

Touche ;)
  • blueboxgeek
    blueboxgeek Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Nah seriously, just someone who likes the show is a Doctor Who fan. There are different levels but if you enjoy the show then surely you are a fan?
  • Alatariel75
    Options
    Haahaa I actually didn't even think that my profile pic is also DW, it was me celebrating fitting into my sonic shirt again :)