Silly kinda OT question for ladies about showering and hair

Options

Replies

• sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    I would love to hop on this bandwagon but I just can't do it! I sweat a ton, and the dry shampoo made my hair sticky and gross and it didn't feel clean at all. I'm a daily washer...shame, shame...
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »
    Sorry to hijack - does anyone have solutions for swimming with highlighted hair? I know to wet it with unchlorinated water first, so there's less room for chlorine, and I wear a cap. Looking into chlorine removal shampoo. Anything else to think about?

I do Aqua fitness and Aqua Zumba and my hair gets pretty wet. I have colored streaks and lightened hair. TrySwim has a pretty good chlorine out hair and skin care line. Also a great swimsuit wash.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,718 Member
    Options
    sofaking6 wrote: »
    I would love to hop on this bandwagon but I just can't do it! I sweat a ton, and the dry shampoo made my hair sticky and gross and it didn't feel clean at all. I'm a daily washer...shame, shame...

Just a thought, but did you use the dry shampoo while your hair was still sweaty or even slightly damp? I've found that I have to wait until the sweat dries completely and then use dry shampoo. I've also had to experiment with several brands. I've bought really pricey ones that I did not like at all and now am surprisingly happy with a basic dry shampoo made by Dove. I've found this technique requires a bit of trial-and-error.
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I don't wash my hair after a workout. I keep the hair up in a ponytail, and it never gets greasy.

But I only wash my hair with shampoo once or twice a week. It is naturally curly, so when I am wearing it that way I use conditioner only most days. If I wear it straight I usually go four days without washing and have no problems. Years ago when I used shampoo every day it was always greasy by the next morning. Shampoo less, and your scalp will adapt and produce less oil and your hair will be healthier.
  • JustMimi215
    JustMimi215 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    ErinM1987 wrote: »
    So I have been going to the gym everyday and obviously showering right after. My question: is there a way/some sorta secret to clean the sweat out of your hair without shampooing? I have colored hair so I am not supposed to wash everyday (makes the color come out faster) but regardless I was washing my hair every other day before I colored my hair because it kept my hair from drying out and made it more healthy. I have already tried just rinsing it but it still looks and feels dirty. I am debating on just saying oh well and dyeing it back to my natural and calling it a day.

I agree with some of the ladies to an extent...I suggest shampooing your hair once or twice a week which ever you feel is best...But since you have color treated hair, i suggest a conditioner like paul mitchell "the conditioner" as a leave in but use a quarter size amount and then as a rinse out conditioner use something that's specific to color treated hair. When you workout you should also consider putting your hair into a bun to protect your hair. Although you don't like putting it up, that may be best while you workout and save your styling for after the gym...
  • lmr0528
    lmr0528 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I wish I could go a few days like most of you. 1 day and my hair looks greasy. I've tried dry shampoos but haven't found one that seems to work. I can push it 2 days if I'm just going to be hanging around the house, not going anywhere important.
  • pittjenn
    pittjenn Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I only wash 3 times a week. Usually, I just use some dry shampoo and a curling iron to put a little life back into my hair post-workout or to tame the bedhead.

However, if I have a super sweat-drenched workout, I figure the saltiness of the sweat in my hair is just as drying as washing it would be, so I usually rinse and condition it at that point.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    BZAH10 wrote: »
    sofaking6 wrote: »

Just a thought, but did you use the dry shampoo while your hair was still sweaty or even slightly damp? I've found that I have to wait until the sweat dries completely and then use dry shampoo. I've also had to experiment with several brands. I've bought really pricey ones that I did not like at all and now am surprisingly happy with a basic dry shampoo made by Dove. I've found this technique requires a bit of trial-and-error.

Oh yes I put it in right after the workout while it was quite damp/sweaty still. The one I used was by Lush which normally is the best of everything (not the most spendy tho),
    I spend all day playing with my hair so when it's sticky I'm miserable. Maybe I'll try and find some samples and try it out on the weekends - thank you :)

• CM9178
    CM9178 Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    ErinM1987 wrote: »
    Thanks ladies! You have been super helpful. The last dry shampoo I used was a while ago and it left white streaks in my dark brown hair so i stopped using it. guess i need to look into the dry shampoo for color treated hair.
    This is my current hair color and length. Only thing I hate about in between wash is putting it up i feel like it defeats the purpose of the color which is why i am considering going back to just my dark brown.
    m35yfg707icf.jpg

Batiste makes colored dry shampoo, they have brunette, red, blonde. I too used to get the white film on my reddish hair, so I got the colored Batiste Dry shampoo and it is awesome.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I've found that baby powder works just as well as dry shampoo. Don't put too much, and if you end up with white streaks, just work it through with your hands a bit until it blends in.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,953 Member
    Options
    How about using only conditioner all over?
  • bermudamel
    Options
    I highlight my hair and I wash it 2-3x a week and use dry shampoo the rest of the time. Suave makes a great one for color treated hair and Psst makes one (costs a little more than Suave but they do make a travel sized one that is nice for gym bags!) also that is decent. In a pinch I've even used gold bold powder and just shake a little out on the roots, work it through and brush it really well.
  • carrieliz81
    carrieliz81 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I rinse, condition, and blow dry my hair every day, and I add shampoo to that routine every other day. I find that it does not look dirty after rinsing and conditioning..... I think adding the conditioner helps take out some of the extra oils when my hair is dirty (although, I'm probably just making that up). My hair responds very well to this system.
  • carrieliz81
    carrieliz81 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I would also add that dry shampoo is sort of helpful for me when I first put it on, but in the long run throughout the day, I don't really like the results. Doesn't work for my texture of hair (a lot of fine, silky straight hair).
  • CM9178
    CM9178 Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    I've found that baby powder works just as well as dry shampoo. Don't put too much, and if you end up with white streaks, just work it through with your hands a bit until it blends in.

I really don't see that working at all on darker hair like hers, she'd look like George Washington with all the white residue left over.
  • WandaMM1
    WandaMM1 Posts: 132 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Interesting thread! I have two questions. Is the dry shampoo (which I've obviously never tried) an option for really sweaty hair? As in, my pony tail drips and/or I can wring moisture out of it post workout. And second, my hair is naturally wavy - borderline curly but is very fine. On day 2, I have to use product and a heat of some type (curling iron or flat iron) to have public presentable hair. Which would be the lesser of two evils - washing every day or using heat/product on day 2? I currently wash it every day and felt "good" about using minimal product and no heat (air dry).
  • srtakelch
    Options
    Next time you dye it, take a small amount of dye and mix it with your conditioner. When you shower after the gym, don't always shampoo it. Just put a very small amount of conditioner in (mostly on the ends) and rinse. Tinting your conditioner will help the fading. This will re-distribute the oil and let you go another day without shampooing.
  • jenluvsushi
    jenluvsushi Posts: 933 Member
    Options
    The more you wash your hair, the faster it gets greasy. Stop washing it every day and before you know it, you won't have to as often. I have fine hair and used to be very oily but no longer now that I stopped washing my hair more than twice a week. I co-wash (conditioner only) and I also use dry shampoo (Tigi Rockaholic or Bumble and Bumble). Bbay powder works too....if your hair isn't super dark. The trick to dry shampoo is to put it on your roots BEFORE your hair actually gets greasy. I put mine on the evening after I have washed my hair before I go to bed (put your hair up in a bun if you can). Also, teasing your hair at the root keeps your hair from laying on your scalp so it also helps keep the grease from taking over. As far as getting sweaty, that isn't the same as greasy. I have no shame in just rinsing or co-washing it, if needed.
  • TemeraldMarie
    TemeraldMarie Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Ya ive used baby powder. Just pore a little into a lid, use a makeup brush and apply to roots. It can be a little time consuming, however baby powder has fewer chemicals in it and is cheaper.
  • Curleycue0314
    Curleycue0314 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I have megga curly hair so shampooing everyday is a BIG NO NO, but I tend to look Chia Petish if I don't shower after I workout. I rinse and use a clarifying conditioner ever shower and use Moroccan oil on my hair to keep the curls nice. I honestly only use shampoo (which is actually a NOPoo) once a week.