Eating back calories

Options
Just curious to see how many of you eat back your exercise/steps calories?

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I do not - but I set my base calories higher to account for that.
  • jacaylac
    jacaylac Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I was told I should eat back about half.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I used to and lost just fine doing so (I ate back about 75%, but it somewhat depended on the activity). Now I use the method where I estimate and average them into my calories in advance so eat a higher base.
  • BBeccaJean
    BBeccaJean Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I eat most of them back. If you add exercise, I would set your basic calculation to sedentary, so you're not counting activity twice.
  • DeterminedFee201426
    DeterminedFee201426 Posts: 859 Member
    Options
    i eat my exercise calories back a few days of the week either half or all of them
  • simplydelish2
    simplydelish2 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    I don't.

20757594.png
  • votick
    votick Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I'm set to "Light Activity" on my profile and I just eat back my calories. I may switch to eating back only half as that sounds good too; but there is no way I could ignore 800+ calories burnt after a solid run and then make it through my day as if I don't need to recover them...
  • FatOldManMN
    FatOldManMN Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    Depends on if you can rely on the accuracy of the calculated calories. But I don't eat back...its all a net loss
  • keenesmom
    keenesmom Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I do not eat back my exercise calories on a regular basis. However, if I do happen to eat some back I don't fret.
  • jenniferguson14
    jenniferguson14 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I had a hard time losing weight when I wasn't eating back the majority of my calories. I have my profile set to sedentary, then I use a personal tracker to add in all my exercise from work (I work retail, so I'm constantly on my feet), and exercising. I would STARVE if I didn't eat back at least half of them.
  • iheartinsanity
    iheartinsanity Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I don't believe anything is 100% accurate (I even use a bodymedia fit to track everything I do) so if I'm hungry...I eat. Simple as that. I don't gorge myself daily.
  • jpaulie
    jpaulie Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    I didn't. Burned out. Stopped. Do now. Feel BETTER!
  • Snow__White
    Snow__White Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    i eat back half,sometimes more if im still hungry
  • tibby531
    tibby531 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    jpaulie wrote: »
    I didn't. Burned out. Stopped. Do now. Feel BETTER!

word! I am a machine, and this engine runs hot!
  • Oncebittentwiceshy38
    Options
    I set my daily calories to higher and then I just count all exercise as 1 calorie. I don't like the mentality of "eating back" the calories.
  • flabassmcgee
    flabassmcgee Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    If you're using MFP's NEAT method, you are recommended to eat back at least 50% of your exercise calories (due to the overestimated burn amounts). If you had a HRM, you could remedy that and eat back what you burned according to that.

If you go by the TDEE-20% method, you don't eat back exercise calories because all of your burned calories are included in the total amount of calories you eat a day. This is preferable for a lot of people because it takes a lot of guesswork out of the equation. Here is a helpful link about that.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    I decided to give NEAT a shot for the heck of it and currently eating half. I'm using Fitocracy to get my numbers though.
  • flabassmcgee
    flabassmcgee Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    BBeccaJean wrote: »
    I eat most of them back. If you add exercise, I would set your basic calculation to sedentary, so you're not counting activity twice.

Not recommended. Sedentary means you literally do nothing at all.
  • bsmith404
    bsmith404 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I eat back at least half. Let's say you have your calories set to 1500 a day and burn about 500 then you are netting only 1,000 calories for that day which to me is way too low.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    I use TDEE method, so no.