What is a slice?

Options
Everywhere I see a slice of cheese cake, a slice of ham, a slice of watermelon, etc. What is a slice? its easy to measure something like watermelon, but I can't seem to find how many calories are in my 3 or 5 oz of fried ham. lol.

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Try to find the MFP-input entries without the asterisks next to them. They are based on the USDA information, are usually reliable (you can double check them if you like), and generally have lots of normal measurement options (like 1 oz, 100 grams) and not the mysterious slice.

For ham, there are several entries that read something like: "pork-cured, ham, whole roasted" -- just put "pork-cured" and see what options come up. Or if you have a brand name or package information you'd want to look for that.

Watermelon (and any fruits and veggies) is even easier, as there's no issue with cut or cooking method. "Watermelon-raw" is the best way to search to get the good entry. Often the trick is making it plural and adding the raw, though, like "potatoes-raw."
  • gagnon9691
    gagnon9691 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    You should buy a kitchen scale and weight your foods
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Stop using arbitrary measurements and go by weights. 3 oz of ham, 100 g of watermelon. Much more accurate, and no guesswork involved.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Try to find the MFP-input entries without the asterisks next to them. They are based on the USDA information, are usually reliable (you can double check them if you like), and generally have lots of normal measurement options (like 1 oz, 100 grams) and not the mysterious slice.

For ham, there are several entries that read something like: "pork-cured, ham, whole roasted" -- just put "pork-cured" and see what options come up. Or if you have a brand name or package information you'd want to look for that.

Watermelon (and any fruits and veggies) is even easier, as there's no issue with cut or cooking method. "Watermelon-raw" is the best way to search to get the good entry. Often the trick is making it plural and adding the raw, though, like "potatoes-raw."

^^THIS^^