Is it worth it to purchase a body scale with blue tooth and wifi?

Options
Hello MFP! I've been seeing a lot of different body scales out there with wifi and memory, is this necessary or even worth the extra expense? What's the difference between the super expensive and the regular, accuracy? Please let me know what you think and if there is a more trusted and reliable brand. thank you.

Replies

• juanvt956
    juanvt956 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    yes its very worth it. its syncs to your account to its reminding you to stay on track and focus the the foods we eat.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    I'm glad I bought my Withings scale. I make myself stand on it daily, whether I look or not. Then I view my trend in Trendweight when I feel like it, which evens out the daily ups and downs. It helps.
  • StarvingAuthor
    StarvingAuthor Posts: 67 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    My scale has a lot of features that I never use. You could browse around Amazon to see people's thoughts with particular products! :)
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I was going to come in here and say "I have a very basic digital scale, and that's all I need! though many people find more complex gadgets motivating."

Then while typing that, I thought of the amount of times I have started logging my weight daily on an app like Libra to see the fluctuations, then I forget, or lose track, or gain too many days in a row and get bashful and stop and I now think that, while I'm not going to rush out and buy one, I can see the advantages of them.
  • StarvingAuthor
    Options
    I was going to come in here and say "I have a very basic digital scale, and that's all I need! though many people find more complex gadgets motivating."

Then while typing that, I thought of the amount of times I have started logging my weight daily on an app like Libra to see the fluctuations, then I forget, or lose track, or gain too many days in a row and get bashful and stop and I now think that, while I'm not going to rush out and buy one, I can see the advantages of them.

Yes, me too! Really good point. If the price is right I may get one of those when the time comes just so I can't lapse with my logging.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    If someone steps on a scale and is too bashful to actual log the number, I'm pretty sure that the only change an auto-logging WiFi scale would have would be to discourage even standing on the scale.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    It wasn't worth it to me. I kind of like entering my own numbers. :)

I think it depends on how much money you have and how much you care about the technology.
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    Until I joined MFP, I had no idea there was such a thing! I have a basic digital, it replaced an old analog I had. I like the .2 increments!
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I simply don't see the point

my posh Salter, digital scale still needs me to take 3 readings and I log the one I get the most of - I can have a 1lb differential

it then feeds through to fitbit and trendweight but I have to manually update my HRM - now that's something that would be good to have a bluetooth...damn, I'm lazy :blush:
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    I've never been able to get mine (iHealth scale) to connect properly. I don't mind, though, I just record everything into an app every day.
  • katya_be
    katya_be Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Sure get it, if it helps motivate you to keep going. Sometimes in the beginning of the "weight loss journey" you need that extra motivation. Just know that weight fluctuates a lot! I weigh myself daily on a regular scale and some days are just higher no matter what.
  • StarvingAuthor
    Options
    Gosh, I googled just out of curiosity and it looks like they're running around $200. Personally, I wouldn't do it. I think I'd rather have my $160 and do without the convenience of auto-logging.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    My Withings was $80, with a 20% off coupon.

My scale is in my bathroom and my computer isn't, so I used to only log my weight weekly and then only when I was in active weight loss mode. And I'd only log 'new lows' most of the time.

And I'd have to look at the number on the scale and make some analysis of it-- is that a 'gain' or is this normal fluctuations? Trendweight takes that subjectivity out of the picture. I no longer beat myself up for one high number (or days of highs) or rationalize what is actually a gaining trend by telling myself I'm still in range.
  • amcook4
    amcook4 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I can think of a lot of other ways I'd like to spend my money.

With that said, it seems to be worth it for some people, just not my thing, I'd rather buy more workout gear instead.
  • mark_ransom70
    mark_ransom70 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    I've never been able to get mine (iHealth scale) to connect properly. I don't mind, though, I just record everything into an app every day.

Opening the app on my mobile device before stepping on the scale works best for me. Should not be necessary as the scale is supposed to connect directly via the router once set up but that seems not to work consistantly. Having the mobile device there everytime is not necessary as the scale does keep past readings & sync'ing will then grab all weighings since the last time you did it. Some other scales might be less tetchy but i love it.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,578 Member
    Options
    I think this falls in the realm of personal preference. I wouldn't buy it.

That said I have a Keurig and a lot of people find them unnecessary and expensive. ..but I like being able to brew just one cup at a time. Works for me.

So I'd say...if you want it...go for it. :)
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,578 Member
    Options
    I think this falls in the realm of personal preference. I wouldn't buy it.

That said I have a Keurig and a lot of people find them unnecessary and expensive. ..but I like being able to brew just one cup at a time. Works for me.

So I'd say...if you want it...go for it. :)
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    I'm in the ' if you want it and can afford it buy it' camp

though I can't necessarily see myself (with my current budget, lol) getting one. I don't mind entering my data manually. It's habit now, and helps me think and focus and focus on my goals and what changes I may need to make.
  • Losingthedamnweight
    Losingthedamnweight Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    I have the Fitbit aria scale. No. It's not worth it. And the numbers are all over the place sometimes. I don't trust it anymore and went back to using my old dumb scale