What muscles do you use in biking that you dont use in running?

Options
Hello everyone! Another story in my quest to keep fit in a hardship post.

In terms of explanation - I live in Port Moresby, Papua New Guinea, which is a wonderful and fascinating place but is unsafe for women to move around.

I am in reasonably good cardio shape and run 5k about 4 times a week, one of which is outdoors (with a running group) and the rest on treadmill. I also do a 2-3 weight sessions a week, mostly compound lifts.

I'm planning a 3-day bicycle trip with a friend next month. The problem is, though Im an avid motorcyclist, I've only ever ridden a bicycle once in my life. Its not a super-difficult route, but I will need to be fit for some long riding days and some hills.

I cant ride a bicycle around where I currently live, so what can I do to prepare? I can pump away at a stationary bike, but can anyone suggest what muscle groups I should be working in resistance training? Especially anything that doesnt get worked on my runs!

Replies

• DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Biking is what prepares you for biking. Stationary bike, if it's your only option, should be plenty sufficient given the situation.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,809 Member
    Options
    Cycling is very quad/glute/calf heavy. If you wear proper cycling shoes and have a good smooth pedalling technique ("souplesse" the French call it) hamstrings can get a good workout too.

Really time on a bike is the best preparation. If you want to mix it up there's a big crossover in muscles used with rowing. High resistance elliptical or stepper would only help your hill work but the bike is your number one choice. Mix up long steady sessions and shorter simulated hill intervals.

I strength train as well but be cautious about going too mad on the weights if you are pushing the cycling training hard - you will need recovery days for your legs. When I was training very intensively (and seriously!) for a long ride I was doing 4 cardio sessions a week and two strength sessions but the strength work was upper body and core only.
  • Archon2
    Archon2 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    I'd say the stationary bike is your best option. Mix it up - high cadence, low resistance, and low cadence, high resistance. Do some standing pedaling too if the bike can handle that.

Even better would be to use a turbo trainer on the bike you plan to take on the trip. It will get you used to the bike and the saddle directly.

Be careful when you do go. Read some horror stories about people getting attacked with machetes.
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I cant ride a bicycle around where I currently live, so what can I do to prepare? I can pump away at a stationary bike, but can anyone suggest what muscle groups I should be working in resistance training?

I've bolded the best - and only - way to prepare for your upcoming cycling trip.

In terms of resistance training that will help - step ups, front squats, leg press, core work, leg curls to strengthen your back (the weakest point in cycling), dead lift, lunges with hand held weights keeping the back straight, and squats.

http://home.trainingpeaks.com/blog/article/year-round-strength-training-for-cyclists

However, the bolded part above will do the most as cycling is a cardio exercise and training the specific for the specific is the golden ticket. Just make sure the stationary bike is set up in your best riding position.

• jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    Cycling is very quad/glute/calf heavy. If you wear proper cycling shoes and have a good smooth pedalling technique ("souplesse" the French call it) hamstrings can get a good workout too.

Agreed.

Front Squats, RDLs and GHRs make up the majority of my cycling/specific strength training.

Also, don't underestimate the upper body strains of cycling. I know you said it's not a difficult route, but upper body creates stability and leverage when pedaling. I live in the hills, and on my harder rides, my upper shoulders and arms are often as tired (if not more so) than my legs.
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    Options
    I get that you can only go out with a group. What about biking along with your running group? You won't get the same cardio (use the stationary bike for that) but you will get time in the saddle-and practice steering, balancing and shifting gears.
  • hobbitabroad
    hobbitabroad Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thank you, everyone! Very helpful and actionable advice.
  • hobbitabroad
    hobbitabroad Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to update everyone on this - I just completed the 300 km ride up the coast of New Ireland. It was very challenging (extremely hot and humid, full midday tropical sun, rough roads and lots of steep hills) but it was absolutely glorious and I made it through. its a very remote part of the pacific and were constantly touched by the incredible generosity and kindness of people we met along the way.

Thank you everyone!
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to update everyone on this - I just completed the 300 km ride up the coast of New Ireland. It was very challenging (extremely hot and humid, full midday tropical sun, rough roads and lots of steep hills) but it was absolutely glorious and I made it through. its a very remote part of the pacific and were constantly touched by the incredible generosity and kindness of people we met along the way.

Thank you everyone!

Congrats!!!!