Can Flintstones chewables correct iron deficiency?

Options
Hey everyone! I have an iron deficiency. My ferritin is a 7 but my hemoglobin and hematocrit are normal. I don't have heavy periods, they only last 4 days but I don't eat an iron rich diet. I don't really eat a lot of meat.

My doctor recommended Flintstones chewables with iron. They have 100% iron (18mg) in them along with B12 and D (I'm also deficient in both of those). These ones don't have calcium so they won't interfere with absorption and they have 100% Vitamin C to help absorb the iron. Because of my severe anxiety, I'm going to start with taking half a vitamin daily and eventually work up to the whole thing (if I can handle it).

But I'm just worried...is it going to be enough iron? They say if you're a menstruating female you need 18mg a day but I'm guessing that varies depending on how heavy your period is. I know one thing for sure, it's better than nothing. Especially since it gives me some of the other vitamins I'm not getting enough of. Should I try it and then get my iron retested to see if it's helping?

I can't swallow pills and my doctor knows this and suggested the chewables. I also saw another doctor a while back for a second opinion who suggested the Flintstones chewables. So obviously they think it's going to work if they're suggesting it right? I would think they would tell me if it's not going to be enough. I just get worried cause you need 100% iron (18mg) a day and I'm worried if that's basically all I eat (since I don't eat a lot of iron-rich foods), then my iron will just maintain and not actually go up.

Also, because of my severe anxiety, I really don't think I can handle iron pills of any type. A multivitamin like the Flintstones would be the easiest for me. The majority of iron pills have to be swallowed whole and majority of the chewable/gummies that have more iron (and iron alone with no other vitamins) leave a strong metallic taste in the mouth, which I can't handle.

Thanks everyone!

Replies

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    You have 2 doctors telling you to do take them. I would listen to your doctor before any anonymous internet advice.
  • mangrothian
    mangrothian Posts: 1,351 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Most oral iron tablets aren't enough to correct iron anaemia - the type of iron in them (usually it's what is called "inorganic iron" or iron salts), isn't actually absorbed by the body very well, so if they recommend you take a tablet with 18mg of iron, and you only absorb a small portion of it, which means you'll end up iron deficient as well as anaemic. Out of curiosity, did your doctor tell you what your exact Ferritin was?

I know it may not be for you, but did you speak with your doctor about an iron injection or infusion? Instead of indefinitely taking iron tablets, you might just be able to get an injection or infusion once every 6 months. The injections might be more expensive on the one off, but in the long run they are cheaper then buying chewable or gummy style tablets.

Note: I'm not a doctor, but I've suffered from severe iron deficiency AND iron anaemia in the past, and now work in the pharmaceutical industry, so I'm not just blowing smoke. If you would like me to cite references, I can and will :)

EDIT: I would like to add that I agree with Alatariel75's post, to listen to your doctors before the advice here and get your iron somehow. Any nutrient deficiency should never be taken lightly.
  • Falcon
    Falcon Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    The ones from Jamenson work really well. The only reason I know that is because it helped me in the past bring up my iron levels. Proven they work by blood tests
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Take the FIntstones for now and evaluate in two months. They will probably work fine for you.
  • Azurite27
    Azurite27 Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    I corrected my low iron numbers by switching to higher iron cereals and tracking my iron on MFP. The iron pills I had been taking were causing other health problems. But if you can't find a way to meet your deficiency through diet, definitely follow your doctor's advice to take a supplement.
  • Jennjoywolf
    Jennjoywolf Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    There is some debate over milk lowering iron as well. (calcium inhibits iron absorption.) So if you are eating iron rich cereal, go easy on the milk.
    My 7 year old son is anemic and his pediatrician has him on flinstones with iron. Its been a mild improvement.
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    I had to have iron infusions after my pregnancy, you do not want to do that it was not fun. I'd say take the pills your Dr is saying take, and get your blood work done again in a few months.
  • Azurite27
    Azurite27 Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    Azurite27 wrote: »
    I corrected my low iron numbers by switching to higher iron cereals and tracking my iron on MFP. The iron pills I had been taking were causing other health problems. But if you can't find a way to meet your deficiency through diet, definitely follow your doctor's advice to take a supplement.

Wow that's impressive! Can you tell me exactly how you did this? How much iron was in the cereal you ate and how much cereal did you eat?

Also, how much iron (percentage wise) did you get through diet besides the cereal? I'm trying to figure out the number it takes to make it go up.

Could you also tell me (if you don't mind me asking) what your iron level was before and after and how long it took to go up?

I tried the Flintstones and they were really gross. I don't see how I can take those. But I was thinking maybe I should have 2 serving sizes of regular Cheerios which have 45% iron per cup.

I didn't do it with just cereal but if you look at my diary going back to June or July you can see where I get my iron from. Make sure to follow up with your doctor for a blood test after a couple months to make sure your dietary iron is converting properly to blood iron.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    I take flintstones chewables with iron, because of my vegetarian diet, I tend to not get enough from my food alone.It is a very safe supplement, and I would recommend taking it.

My children (ages 2 and 6) take it as well, as they are also not red meat eaters.

I also eat "total" bran cereal a few times a week, and have my settings on my MFP to track my iron intake.

• melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    added- our iron levels are really good on this regimen
  • auntchellebelle
    auntchellebelle Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Depends on your hemoglobin level. Mine was at a 7 (should be between 13-16 for an adult female) when I finally saw a doctor. My doctor gave me an iron pill to take for 6 months and then take the flintstone vitamins for 3 months. After my 6 month check up my hemogloblin came up to a level 10. So I stopped with the iron pill and just took the flintstone vitamin like the doc said and my hemoglobin dropped to a 7.5 at my 3 month check up. So now I am on a very high dose iron pill (makes me nauseous everyday) and a flintstone vitamin just to get my iron levels where a normal adult female should be.
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Try Floradix Iron + Herbs. Its plant based:

Flora Floradix Iron + Herbs 17 Fluid Ounces Liquid
    Vegetarian liquid formula
    No preservatives
    Alcohol Free
    Made in Germany
    Liquid Extract Formula
    Rich in Iron and B-Vitamins
    Easily Absorbed
    Non-constipating

Cost at WholeFoods or online around -$35.19.

Directions:
    Adults: Take two teaspoonfuls (half of measuring cap) twice daily, before meals.Children: (4-11 years old): Take two teaspoons (half of measuring cap), once daily before meals. For Kosher use: Mix two teaspoons (half of measuring cap) into half a glass of water or juice.

Warning:
    Shake bottle well before using. Must be refrigerated after opening. This product must be used within 4 weeks of opening. This product contains iron. After opening, apply childproof cap supplied in carton. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. As this product does not contain alcohol or artificial preservatives, it must be refrigerated after opening. Do not drink from the bottle!

Does Not Contain:
    Alcohol or artificial preservatives.
  • Escloflowne
    Escloflowne Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    Since I'm not a doctor, I would totally recommend not listening to doctors
  • StrongAtLast
    StrongAtLast Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    cook in a cast iron skillet, and drink guinness
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    I take a 325 mg ferrous sulfate daily. My ferritin was down to 3. I take it with breakfast so there is no nausea and I make sure my fiber is high so there is no constipation. The only things I had to change was to move my yogurt to lunch and my omeprazole to any time after lunch (omeprazole, aka Prilosec, will prevent absorption of many nutrients and medications)
  • court_fritch26
    court_fritch26 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I developed a severe iron deficiency about 2 years ago…I still struggle with it still and have developed some tricks…I ended up switching to Total, taking iron supplements, laid off coffee and other caffeinated beverages with a while, and drank orange juice as well as consumed other foods that are known for helping the body absorb iron.
  • kender54
    kender54 Posts: 58 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I've been on ferrous sulfate (for anemia) as well as a children's multi vitamin with iron. In 2 months, my ferritin went from 10.2 to 12.9. I thought it would be higher, considering I was taking the max recomended amount of iron plus a multi vitamin. I can't stand adult multivitamins that have to be swallowed, there's something about the flavor and smell that turns me off. I recently discovered that Centrum makes a complete adult multi vitamin that is chewable, and I've started using that. I know you say you can't swallow pills, but the ferrous sulfate my doc recommended is a very small pill, if that helps at all. You may also want to consider drinking some OJ after you take your vitamin, that's what my doc suggested, but I can't as I'm intolerant to citrus.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    Only eat the Dino ones though. They have the most iron.