any runners out there?

Options
2»

Replies

• hgwill78
    hgwill78 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Anyone else not consider themselves a "real" runner? My husband busts my chops about this and asks if I'll finally consider myself a real runner when I complete my half. But I am hard on myself and feel like I can't accept that term for myself for some reason. Everyone else that runs is a runner to me. But I don't feel worthy to claim that title yet.

Yes! I don't feel like I've earned the title yet. Maybe after my half??
  • haircuttergirl
    haircuttergirl Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    hgwill78 wrote: »
    Anyone else not consider themselves a "real" runner? My husband busts my chops about this and asks if I'll finally consider myself a real runner when I complete my half. But I am hard on myself and feel like I can't accept that term for myself for some reason. Everyone else that runs is a runner to me. But I don't feel worthy to claim that title yet.

Hopefully we both will :) When is your half? Mine is March 15. 8 wks :open_mouth:
  • hgwill78
    hgwill78 Posts: 64 Member
    Options

Hopefully we both will :) When is your half? Mine is March 15. 8 wks :open_mouth:

Mine is March 1st. I'm doing a 58 story stair climb on Jan 31st too so I'm just hoping to stay injury free!
  • emz_davidson
    Options
    Hi! I'm a runner too .... well used to be ;) finding time after baby was hard and then just lost mono. Managed a few 10k during summer 2014 but as dark nights hit running went to wayside. But new year results on is to get into i. Have a very hilly 10 miler in march to look forward to. Hoping it will also help me shift this stone and a half extra I've been carrying around post baby!! Lovely to meet you all.
  • katherine_startrek_fan
    Options
    Feel free to add me as well! I'm definitely not the fastest runner, but completed several 5Ks last year. My goal for this year is to run a solid 10K, and start working my way up to a half marathon.
  • JennyG73
    JennyG73 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Ephie- I have heard many c25k success stories, I think that's fantastic! I get grouchy too!
    - Jenny, sometimes the hard runs are the most rewarding! Yes, its the shamrock, (as long as you're not a stalker ;-). )

haha, no, not a stalker :smile: I am on the race committee and have worked the finish line for the entire weekend for years. This will actually be my 10th year working it. SO much fun!!! Good Luck!!
  • JennyG73
    JennyG73 Posts: 31 Member
    Options

Anyone who runs is a runner... distance doesn't matter. Not everyone can run 13.1 or 26.2 miles. I've run 10 half marathons and did my 1 and done full marathon but even before my first marathon, just running 5K's, 10K's and 10 milers, I felt like a runner. Keep up the good work @haircuttergirl‌! You're a runner!
  • Roxiegirl2008
    Roxiegirl2008 Posts: 756 Member
    Options

I have done several 1/2s and still find it strange to call myself a runner. I guess I am thinking I will be able to hold that title Jan 25th after my full marathon. Then perhaps not unless I do an Iron Man (HAAA) yeah that is so not happening.
  • jeffininer
    jeffininer Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I took up running last March when a friend asked me to do a 5k with her on Mother's Day. I had never run a mile in my life. Ended up loving it and I've ran many 5k's a couple of 10ks and ran my first half on Thanksgiving Day. Right now I'm training for another half on March 15th, so that should be about 1 year from when I started :) Anyone feel free to add me! I officially started my training schedule last week, so I need all the motivation I can get to keep with that schedule!!!
  • jeffininer
    jeffininer Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    BTW, anyone with an iphone and working on a planned out training schedule might want to invest the $0.99 in an app called Tick'd Off. It's an awesome check list app (well, I suppose it isn't life changing). You can enter your items each day, the due date, and any notes. Since I run different interval sets on Wednesday's, it's been a great way for me to keep up with what I have each day and the specifics.
  • haircuttergirl
    Options
    JennyG73 wrote: »

Anyone who runs is a runner... distance doesn't matter. Not everyone can run 13.1 or 26.2 miles. I've run 10 half marathons and did my 1 and done full marathon but even before my first marathon, just running 5K's, 10K's and 10 milers, I felt like a runner. Keep up the good work @haircuttergirl‌! You're a runner!

You rock. Thank you <3
  • ptrawny
    ptrawny Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    It's not about distance or speed. There is always someone faster or runs further. It's about self respect. Just getting off the couch and going out if the door is both an achievement (especially in the cold) and puts you ahead of most of the population. Have done halves, one painful full but my best runs have been the odd short run on a perfect morning watching the sun rise or a city wake up.
  • ptrawny
    Options
    Happy to be added by anyone with a pair of trainers :)
  • haircuttergirl
    Options
    ptrawny wrote: »
    It's not about distance or speed. There is always someone faster or runs further. It's about self respect. Just getting off the couch and going out if the door is both an achievement (especially in the cold) and puts you ahead of most of the population. Have done halves, one painful full but my best runs have been the odd short run on a perfect morning watching the sun rise or a city wake up.

Mine too :) And... I run best when I'm upset. The exhilaration takes over the negative feelings and I finish feeling rejuvenated and fresh.
  • wls21wind
    Options
    I just started MFP yesterday. I am also a runner (again). I ran years ago and then decided I didn't like it because I was so overweight it hurt my hips and knees too much. But I have lost over 30 lbs the last year and a half. Started running again and really enjoy it now. I am trying to get a running group together in my home town. I love trail running and challenging myself on hills. I started out with the C25K program and am looking forward now to my first 10k this Spring (something I said I would never do). I only run about 3 days a week, but there is no escape like lacing up and hitting the road with good music. It is my therapy. The other days I enjoy flow or power yoga and have a library of workout videos. What brought me to MFP is that I am very disciplined on my eating throughout the week, but weekends it all goes south....I totally binge on weekends. I am hoping this will help me stay accountable better and really SEE what I am consuming. I would love to have other women running friends for support and to encourage them along the way too.
  • ptrawny
    Options
    Found the same here - a few less pounds makes all the difference on your legs.