can I eat junk food after a workout and not gain

Options
I'm just wondering how long after a workout does our body go back to normal? I remember hearing something like if you eat a candy bar after a workout it wont effect you none cause the body is still in burning mode. I think I was told 30 minutes. I'm not saying I would do that just wondering

Replies

• JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Calories are calories, simplistically speaking. You can eat 300 calories of fruit or 300 calories of candy bar, and it's still 300 calories that need to be burned. Your body won't just magically burn those calories, and they won't count or anything.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I'm just wondering how long after a workout does our body go back to normal? I remember hearing something like if you eat a candy bar after a workout it wont effect you none cause the body is still in burning mode. I think I was told 30 minutes. I'm not saying I would do that just wondering

You could eat junk food all day and not gain any fat, it all depends on how much
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    That's rubbish.

Your body might be burning more calories after a workout, but that doesn't mean what you intake is canceled out.

You can eat whatever you like without gaining if it fits in your calories for the day.
  • lausmit4477
    lausmit4477 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    The statement you made about the candy bar relates to the fact that after an intense workout, you deplete your body of glycogen. Eating directly after a workout (2 hour window period) offers the body a chance to restore glycogen.

As far as the candy bar goes, it will still effect your calorie count so it will still effect you. As long as you are in a calorie deficit, you will lose weight regardless of what it is that you eat. I will say that the quality of food is important, as I am sure you know this, especially when it comes to body composition. It would be more beneficial for you to eat something less refined to achieve the same goal.
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    You can eat anything you want and not gain...as long as it fits into your daily calorie goals. Calories eaten right after exercising count the same as they would at any other time.
  • liznsmith
    liznsmith Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    this is a joke right?

Try eating a few dates or healthy fruit like pineapple instead. Candy bars have soo many artificial ingredients it's crazy. When I feel like something sweet I eat some Talenti gelato. All natural ingredients.
  • idagaines
    idagaines Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Thats what I thought, lol. And its so funny to see people work their butts off then they go get a diet coke and a candy bar. I'm like "really"

And the calories are calories thing is something i struggle with in Weight Watchers. They say eat fruit and veggies all you want cause they don't count. Uh yes they do calorie wise.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    this is a joke right?

Try eating a few dates or healthy fruit like pineapple instead. Candy bars have soo many artificial ingredients it's crazy. When I feel like something sweet I eat some Talenti gelato. All natural ingredients.

It's not a joke, but it is a bit of a misinterpretation and misapplication of theory. The concept for this thread is probably based on after-workout meals for people trying to gain muscle mass.
  • lausmit4477
    Options
    Thats what I thought, lol. And its so funny to see people work their butts off then they go get a diet coke and a candy bar. I'm like "really"

And the calories are calories thing is something i struggle with in Weight Watchers. They say eat fruit and veggies all you want cause they don't count. Uh yes they do calorie wise.

That was a way for Weight Watchers to "try" to get people to fill their diet with more wholesome foods. It's not a free-for-all. That is why they teach individuals about portion control, sizes, daily recommendations, ect. You still have to be sensible.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

I eat handfuls of sour patch kids to and from the gym, hasn't hurt my progress whatsoever
  • lausmit4477
    Options

I eat handfuls of sour patch kids to and from the gym, hasn't hurt my progress whatsoever

Me too!!! :flowerforyou:
  • liznsmith
    Options

lmao I know right!! My mom is a fitness nut (56 and plays racquet ball 3 times a week and looks 38) and she always tells me you can get fat by eating too much of anything, even fruit.
    Oh and I could never eat corn as a kid because that's what they feed pigs to make them fat. Couldn't eat pig either.

ahhh and diet coke is the worst for you!! My client owned a pharmacy and there was diet coke in the back of his storage room that had been sitting there for 20 years. I guess there was a leak and it ate a hole through the concrete.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

If they wanna eat a candy bar and diet coke post work out that's fine and no different that my protein shake after my workout (Except that diet coke is disgusting and my shake is a delicious mix of Cookies and cream flavored whey, milk, and greek yogurt, and mine might have more calories.)

And according to Weight Watchers certain fruits and veggies don't count, so in that context they don't count. If you want to count your fruit and veggies I'd suggest just straight calorie counting and ditch WW.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    Don't think it's physiologically possible to get fat eating leafy greens.
  • Lochlyn_D
    Lochlyn_D Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    That's like asking if you can smoke after getting your teeth cleaned without staining them. NO.
  • ladyrider55
    ladyrider55 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    You just worked out and you're feeling that good high....so why eat junk food?!!! Got a chocolate craving, have some PB2 it's a quick fix plus little to none calories and fat. Personally after I work out I nibble on raw almonds and replenish my fluids with H2o or G2. It's your body, you're trying to do good for yourself, be smart and eat right, jus sayin.... :happy: :smile:
  • Hexahedra
    Hexahedra Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    If you maintain a calorie deficit, you can eat mostly Twinkies and other sugary snacks augmented with Doritos, Oreos, and sugary cereals, and still lose weight. A researcher actually did.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08/twinkie.diet.professor/index.html
  • gigglybeth
    gigglybeth Posts: 365 Member
    Options

Right? My gym is in a strip mall with a Starbucks. I see the same people everyday go straight from the gym to get one of those huge coffee drinks. But, hey, if it's in their calorie/carb/whatever budget for the day, it's not my business.

I did WW and to be honest, I rarely counted veggies. I did count fruit though, because of the sugar. I know it's not the same as table sugar, but it's still sugar.
  • liznsmith
    Options

Right? My gym is in a strip mall with a Starbucks. I see the same people everyday go straight from the gym to get one of those huge coffee drinks. But, hey, if it's in their calorie/carb/whatever budget for the day, it's not my business.

I did WW and to be honest, I rarely counted veggies. I did count fruit though, because of the sugar. I know it's not the same as table sugar, but it's still sugar.

Guilty/ I get one of those big Starbucks drinks before work. I get it with soy milk and sugar free vanilla and still feel terrible about it. Also, I wonder what they use as a sweetener. Unless its xylitol i'm trashing my body.... oh well
  • MochaMixAZ
    MochaMixAZ Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    Interesting and timely question - my trainer brought this topic up to me today. After working out, he said the body is in a hyper-state and burns the calories from the food better for about 50 minutes post workout. However, he suggests using that time to refuel with lean protein, a little bit of fat, and possibly a whole grain. Don't know if that's right or wrong, but it made sense to me. He also emphasizes it's not that the calories don't count - they do - it's just a time to take advantage of. I know activity ups your metabolism for several hours post-sweat session, so you're burning faster than if you were sedentary. Anyway, makes sense to me.

But... You just killed it in your workout.... why on earth would you want to follow that up with junk?