Sugar question for ya!

Options
Okay,

Stupid question here. I have been told a million times fat doesn't make you fat sugar does!! So with that in mind my food diary states that I get 40 g of sugar as my daily goal. I eat lots of fruit and I drink almond milk which all has natural sugars in it, right?? So I am over every day, is this bad? Do I need to cut down on the fruit? I can definately buy the unsweetened version of almond milk to cut down as well.

My next question is when I am lifting heavy I always drink a p90x results and recovery formula which contains 26g of sugar per serving which is over half of my daily goal. Thoughts on this???

Any help would sure be appreciated! I don't want to sabotage myself here!!

Thanks!

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    The food diary goal can be tweaked at My Home -> Goals -> Change Goals Select Custom and hit continue

Or turn off the tracking of it altogether at http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings

There are no artificial sugars, so chemically the sugar in your fruit or post-lifting shake is the same as in anything else. I'm aware of some argument in favour of taking in carbs post exercise to help with protein uptake etc so you might want to continue with that but sweetened almond milk is just sugar added for little purpose.
  • fight4hope
    fight4hope Posts: 1
    Options
    I just joined yesterday and am also really surprised at the amount of sugar that was counted for fresh strawberries and blueberries. Is it bad to eat fresh fruit and fresh veggies if they are high in sugar? I am trying to do the right thing and lose weight...suggestions?
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    I have been told a million times fat doesn't make you fat sugar does!!

Wrong.

Don't worry about your sugar intake unless you have a medical reason to monitor/track it.
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    Sugar is sugar. With only very minor chemical differences in how your body breaks them down, at the end of the day it doesn't matter if the sugar came from a blueberry or a Snickers, as far as your body is concerned.

Fat doesn't make you fat, you're right, but neither does sugar (of course barring any sort of diabetes or metabolic disorder or PCOS that might cause your body's insulin response to be abnormal). A calorie intake over your calorie expenditure makes you fat. Figure out what you would like your calorie and macro goals to be based on your personal weight, health, and body composition goals. Then, within whatever carb goal you establish for yourself, eat as much or as little sugar as you like. It's not going to make a difference, and many sugar-heavy foods have great health benefits such as vitamins, antioxidants, fiber, etc.