Backhanded success story (but better than nothing)

Options
sartezalb
sartezalb Posts: 27 Member
By mid-November 2014, I had lost about 35 pounds after ~100 days of calorie restriction. At this point, I was feeling pretty good about my progress (I had been at a "normal" BMI for some weeks), so I decided to eat at maintenance calories until I had a reason to do otherwise.

Fast-forward to now and two holidays (Thanksgiving and Christmas/New Years') worth of eating and somewhat slacking on my food diary, and I've gained back about 7 lbs of fat. So: back to counting, possibly restricting, and reevaluating.

But: this is the most nonchalant I've ever been about the process. First of all, I know I can lose the weight -- I did just a few months ago. But more importantly (to me), this is the first time I've ever checked myself before gaining in the double digits. In the past, I've gained anywhere from 15-30 lbs before mustering the awareness/energy to put on the brakes. A single-digit indiscretion is, relatively speaking, nothing.

So, just a friendly reminder: there's victories to be had in "screwing up less." Even if you're not exactly where you want to be, you can always take pride in doing better. Good luck to you all!

Replies

• HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Well stated!
  • cahf
    cahf Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I love this! I feel the same way and it gives me faith that I can maintain once I finish losing....
  • lili61
    lili61 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    That is a major success! Way to put on the brakes and get back to it!
  • suzy0317
    suzy0317 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I agree! Between the health stresses and the holidays, I was somehow able to kept my weight gain to only 3 lbs! I am actually proud of that considering I ate so much junk food and barely exercised. It truly is the small victories that keep us moving!
  • MamaRiss
    MamaRiss Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Love it! Me too actually. I regained 3-5 pounds during the holidays. And yesterday restarted my counting and exercising. It feels like no big deal, it'll be gone in a couple weeks (if not less, it could just be bloat and constipation). And it actually feels good to start again, not like a disappointment
  • lauraedu
    lauraedu Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    That is something you should definitely be proud of! Congratulations!
  • Roxiegirl2008
    Roxiegirl2008 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the victory! I think it is a big one not a small one! :D

I know the feeling! This time a year people are just shoving cookies, candy and crap in your face. It is easy to loose sight and then the scale slaps you in the face.

Have a great New Year!
  • slindsey137
    slindsey137 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    This might be the most inspiring thing I have read on here!
  • zombiemomjo
    zombiemomjo Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    Very well put! And great job recognizing the success of a failure. :)
  • obscuremusicreference
    obscuremusicreference Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    Great way to look at it! And it's good that you caught it early--it's easier to lose 7 than 35!
  • ellisboyd1
    ellisboyd1 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Yep, this is a key skill. I've been slim for 4 years now, but it's just not realistic to think you'll never eat badly again. There will always be holidays, vacations, birthdays, events... getting there and staying there is about stepping off the wagon then stepping back on, without a fuss.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's backhanded at all! Learning to know your body better so you can react quickly, having willpower to cut off the gaining, and not letting a small gain trigger you to let yourself go completely - that's just straight up plain success to me.
  • kendalslimmer
    kendalslimmer Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Well done sweetie, good NSV! :D
  • 1DEF
    1DEF Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    So true. The ability to stop the down slide into gaining it all back after so many diets and losses would have saved me a lot of misery. Good going!
  • NinjaJinja
    NinjaJinja Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    This is basically where I've gotten to this year as well. Exact same story only I gained 9 pounds. Probably a good 5 of that is water weight. It didn't even feel good to be eating so much food and candy. I'm only annoyed because it has put me behind my goal, so I'm not going to make it by the wedding. But then I decided also that that doesn't matter, I will continue after the wedding anyway, no big deal. (Not my wedding btw, a friend's.)
  • meryl135
    meryl135 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Well said - awareness is key! I think that the biggest part of losing weight for me has been realizing that yes, I really, really did eat way too much food. Being aware of indiscretions and knowing when to reign yourself in are such important skills in maintaining weight loss.
  • CJisinShape
    CJisinShape Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    They don't have an applause emoticon, but if they did..."screwing up less." Now I have something to report on NSV. Congratulations sartez!

• sartezalb
    sartezalb Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Wow, was not expecting this kind of response.

I was actually thinking of cheating a little today, but I checked in on this topic on a whim and decided to stick out the last few hours. So for all of you who found this inspiring: thank you for returning the favor. :-)
  • hermann341
    hermann341 Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    Same kind of story. Stopped logging my food around Thanksgiving, knowing that I was going to put on weight. I enjoyed the holidays and put on about 14 pounds. But now the fun is over and it's back to work this week. Of the 14 pounds I put on during December, I've already lost 10. (Man, I love low carb induction!)
  • _L_A_
    _L_A_ Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    This is exactly how I feel!

I lost weight with weight watchers, gained almost all back... lost nearly 2 stone on MFP then got lazy and stopped tracking and exercising and gained all of it back... then Jan-Sept last year I lost over 2 stone with the help of MFP. I lost motivation after my wedding and decided I'd maintain which I did for 3 months at 2 stone loss overall but did so lazily, didn't track regularly then took a month of completely free eating over December and gained, BUT I still got back on the scales in January, I didn't let it keep going, I gained 12lbs in 5 weeks yes, but because I didn't just let it continue and like usual I've already got 6lbs of that off in 1 week so compared to the past gains it's nothing! I'm proud of myself for not just being in denial and letting bad habits continue, I actually got on the scales and had the sense not to let the gain continue :)

Glad you've managed to stop the gain in it's track too :) I think it's important to recognise that there are times when we'll all not be able to eat/exercise the way we want to or need to, so it is important to learn not to live in denial and let it continue but to recognise and get back on track as soon as is possible and not beat our selves up about it
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!