Losing Weight On The Road

Options
2»

Replies

• cromulus
    cromulus Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Thank you! That actually helps a lot! I had no idea Planet Fitness is a national chain that allows members to work out everywhere.

• wteachwo
    wteachwo Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I am on the road 80% of the time and on an airplane twice a week. I actually asked this question when I first started here and now it's about 2 months later, so I'll share what has worked for me...

- 24 hour fitness: another gym chain that allows you to pretty much use its membership anywhere, in any state (I've used it in TX and AZ without having to sign up again). They have an app and list classes (I love Les Mills Body Pump, Combat and Attack)

- ALWAYS make sure the hotel you are staying at has a fridge. This is imperative for me to stay on track. If they can't do it, I book elsewhere and they lose my business.

- Right when I fly in I head to the grocery store and get ALL of my groceries for the week. This includes lunch, dinner and snacks for me to bring to work. I scope out Trader Joe's and Whole Foods. Trader Joe's has been my favorite lately - they make pre-packaged caesar salads, Greek salads, all types of salads (you can get them with chicken too). Nutritional info available right on the label. I also like their pre-packaged chicken strips and chicken patties (LOVE THESE) that are already cooked and at most just need to be nuked in the microwave. I also get apples, oranges, hard boiled eggs, Fage yogurts, sliced fruit and veggies, almonds, individually packed Sabra hummuses, Trader Joes olive oil popcorn, bananas. I also throw in the mini wrapped chocolates they sell at the check out lane at Whole Foods - I throw those in my bag so if I have a chocolate craving during the day I can budget for it and cut myself off at 1 wrapped piece as opposed to an entire chocolate bar. I also love the little go go squeeze applesauce packs (they sell these lots of places, found them at Target and Whole Foods) that I have had no problem taking through TSA or on an airplane - makes it easy to get a quick snack in if hunger strikes while flying.

- I bought a pocket food scale for my suitcase. I have a nice Cuisinart glass scale for my kitchen at home, but this bad boy does the trick when I am in my hotel room: http://www.amazon.com/American-Weigh-Scales-Digital-BL-1KG-BLK/dp/B0012N1NAA

- I have a routine I follow with the foods I eat on the road but if I find something new that fits, I deviate. This helps me plan what I will eat when, especially if I have a travel day and won't have access to a fridge when at the airport.

- I carry a water bottle so I can fill it up at work and the airport

- I drink water religiously on airplane days so I don't get bloated (I try to all the time but pay special attention at those days because I get so dehydrated)

- Nike Fit Club app - this is great if you need a quick workout and are stuck in a hotel room

Hope this helps, fellow road warrior!